Thread: Question about Flexon and their compatibility with progressive lenses

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question about Flexon and their compatibility with progressive lenses

I believe it was Happylady who mentioned that she didn't care for the Flexons for progressives because of the less-firm bridge. Is this just for progressive lenses and why? Do they wiggle around on the nose/face more than a non-Flexon frame? Just curious. I'm trying to make a decision whether to go with a particular style of frame that just happens to come in Flexon or whether I should stick with regular Titanium.
    Last edited by GoodAsGold; 01-25-2006 at 03:28 PM. Reason: finished title--accidently sent before I was done

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAsGold
    I believe it was Happylady who mentioned that she didn't care for the Flexons for progressives because of the less-firm bridge. Is this just for progressive lenses and why? Do they wiggle around on the nose/face more than a non-Flexon frame? Just curious. I'm trying to make a decision whether to go with a particular style of frame that just happens to come in Flexon or whether I should stick with regular Titanium.
    there is a point there, but if fitted properly, the latent flexibility in its "resting state" is rarely enough to cause a problem.. there is a problem however with the more flexible coppies of flexon technology

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like to hear from other opticians about what they think of Flexon frames.

I have said they are good frames and people who have them like them. If you have worn a +3.25 add with no problems you should be okay. It is just progressives work best if they aren't too flat on the front. Most people do best if their glasses curve in on the sides, it's called face form.

Do your present glasses have good face form or is it fairly flat? How does it compare with the Flexon frame you found?

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    When I went to see the other optometrist for a 2nd opinion about my ADD he explained to me why I can use a +2.50. He showed me that with +3.25 I had to hold a book up closer which isn't comfortable for long periods of time. He then had me look at it a bit further out at +2.50 and it was fine. That would be the distance I would most likely be holding a book or magazine. I'm not sure why the original OD gave me +3.25 seven years ago. Maybe it's because I thought I would be holding a book or written material closer to me. I don't know. This OD said that it's normal to have a decrease in distance Rx, too. So, he subtracted 50 from my right eye as a result of what I was telling him during my exam.

As for my current glasses, I'm afraid I don't know if they curve in on the sides or not. I have a pantoscopic tilt I know. But my glasses don't wrap around my face or anything like that. The Flexons I was looking at hadn't been tweaked to fit my face altogether so I don't know if they're considered flat or not. I'm thinking I might not like the color of the frame, though. The shape was fine, although I'm so used to those spring hinges on the frames I have now. My choice would be not to go with Flexons. I prefer a regular Titanium and maybe with a good spring hinge.

One thing I found in trying on lenses is that I can't SEE them unless I almost put my face into the mirror! In the past, I always wore my contacts when trying on frames. I might have to bite the bullet and pull out my old gas perms and stick them in just while I try on frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I would like to hear from other opticians about what they think of Flexon frames.

I have said they are good frames and people who have them like them. If you have worn a +3.25 add with no problems you should be okay. It is just progressives work best if they aren't too flat on the front. Most people do best if their glasses curve in on the sides, it's called face form.

Do your present glasses have good face form or is it fairly flat? How does it compare with the Flexon frame you found?

Thread Information