Thread: HELP!!! Involvement in the Business

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

HELP!!! Involvement in the Business

I am the Lab Manager for a wholesale lab. We changed ownership almost 5 years ago. We don't have a good sales staff to speak of and business is suffering because of it.

My question is: How much involvement should a Lab Manager have in the business? If sales staff and ownership aren't willing to do the job should I?
    I have several employees who are asking are the doors going to close. I don't want them too, but is it wrong for me to call on the Doctors and try to increase the work flow? I don't really want to step on toes, but on the other hand if you can't or won't do it I will.

I would really like some input from my fellow optiboarders. I think that I have made my mind up, but want to get some opinions before I make anything final.

Thanks in advance
    Steve

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve,

I can only speak as someone who is on the receiving end of wholesale lab services. The sales staff is paramount ! Without a sales staff that is in the field - EVERYDAY, you might as well close the door. My only involvement with a lab manager is when big guns are needed to solve a problem. These problems can be how to be more efficient on a particular process, or maybe to help smooth out a screw-up. It's nice to know th e guy at the top is aware of a situation, but it's not someone that should be involved in the sales issues, in terms of actually bringing accounts on board. Again, that's just how it looks to me.

OptiBoardaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheaopt
    My question is: How much involvement should a Lab Manager have in the business?
    The answer is: As much as the ownership will let you. Tough situation and I feel sorry for you. Basically, you have to state your case and make a proposal on what you would like to do. If the ownership likes it... GREAT; if the ownership doesn't give you authority... BUMMER. You may just have to find a new job if they let this business fail.

Sorry!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rheaopt
    My question is: How much involvement should a Lab Manager have in the business? If sales staff and ownership aren't willing to do the job should I?
    Steve
    You are actually in a superb position to sell your lab services to customers. Any customers likes to know the person in charge and if you can come across with some good valid arguments, you for sure could win over or win back customers.

There would be one drawback you would have to face in the future..............which is if you are successfull you would have to answer a lot more phone calls because these customers you have brought in will want to discuss their problems or solutions with you...............the top guy in the lab.

Talk to your owners..............who, if they are not stupid, will for sure want your help for a turnaround.

Occupation
    Steve,

If you're in a position to do so, make a proposal to buy the company. If the business is there and the lab can make money, I am sure there are probably some investors willing to make a go of it. Just another option.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thanks for the comments. They are pretty well in line with what I have already come up with. Just wanted some input from others.

Thanks again
    Steve

Thread Information