Thread: Varilux Comfort vs Panamic

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question Varilux Comfort vs Panamic

The very competent optician I met today said that he feels I will do just fine with a Varilux Comfort lens as much as I would the Panamic for my progressive lenses. The frames are smaller than what I have now, no doubt about it...but they're not so slim that I would require short corridor lenses. I have 17 mm. So, what is the big difference between Panamics and Comfort with this Rx? Which one would you recommend? He's charging the same for them.

OD......Sphere Cylinder Axis
    -4.25 2.00 0.15

OS......-4.75 1.50 170 ADD + 2.50

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lots of people like the Comfort. My brother wears it. He tried the Panamic and didn't like it and went back to the Comfort. I have worn both and liked both. Variluxes studies show that most people perfer the Panamic, it is supposed to be the better lens.

With a 17 mm fitting height you are pushing it with both lenses, though. Both have a recommended miinimum fitting height of 18 mms.There is a new Varilux that they say 2/3s of people perfer to either. It is the Varilux Physio and it just came out a couple of weeks ago. It has a recommended minimum fitting height of 17. It comes in poly or 1.67 and either would be fine with your rx. It would be more expensive, though.

The problem with a discontinued frame is what happens if it breaks? And yes, I have seen Flexon frames break. Lots of opticians will disagree with me about this, but they aren't my favorite with progressives. The bridge can't be adjusted to give any face form to the front which can be important with progressives. It doesn' have springs. Flexon frames are good and people who wear them usually like them, but I like a stiffer frame personally.

Occupation

To Happylady

Have you heard of Adrienne Vittadini? This one in particular:

http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp...-ldlbnb/r.html

It has the spring hinges and is quite a lot less money than the Flexon. Now I don't mind paying more for something that I think is going to be a better investment in the long run...but I don't want to be paying for a "name". I agree about the stiffer frame. This Flexon just feels so light, almost like it's flimsy. The temples felt like they could accidently be snapped off. I realize my lenses aren't in it yet which would make it heavier, but I wouldn't think by much. Let me know what you think of the Adrienne Vittadinis. I really like this optician and plan to utilize his services. I'm just not sure about the frames. Most of his other ones are so expensive, though. Over $200+. Seems like a big mark-up. He also charges a pretty penny for the lenses and add-ons. Sigh. If I'm putting out over $600 I want to get this right. I'm also tempted to pop in my old contacts while trying frames on. Otherwise I might be surprised when I finally get them with my Rx lenses.
    :drop:

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Lots of people like the Comfort. My brother wears it. He tried the Panamic and didn't like it and went back to the Comfort. I have worn both and liked both. Variluxes studies show that most people perfer the Panamic, it is supposed to be the better lens.

With a 17 mm fitting height you are pushing it with both lenses, though. Both have a recommended miinimum fitting height of 18 mms.There is a new Varilux that they say 2/3s of people perfer to either. It is the Varilux Physio and it just came out a couple of weeks ago. It has a recommended minimum fitting height of 17. It comes in poly or 1.67 and either would be fine with your rx. It would be more expensive, though.

The problem with a discontinued frame is what happens if it breaks? And yes, I have seen Flexon frames break. Lots of opticians will disagree with me about this, but they aren't my favorite with progressives. The bridge can't be adjusted to give any face form to the front which can be important with progressives. It doesn' have springs. Flexon frames are good and people who wear them usually like them, but I like a stiffer frame personally.

Occupation

Arrow To Happylady re; vertical measurement

This particular frame has a vertical (B) measurement of 29.5. Does that make a difference whether the progressives will fit? The optician didn't seem to see any problem after he measured my pupil distance and checked where my eyes would be in the lens (with the dots). Maybe I thought I heard 17 mm. Either way, he said I would NOT need a short corridor lens.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know anything about the Vittadina frames. Are you a woman? It looks like a woman's frame. You can get spring hinges in very cheap frames, by the way. It doesn't mean it is a good frame. Do you know who makes it?

I put progressives in frames with a B measurement of 29 a lot. I would consider 17 a short corridor lens. It isn't super short, but short.

Flexon frames are really nice frames and not flimsy. They are light because are a nickel titanium blend. I just don't think they are better then a whole lot of other frames, though. Like I said before I like a stiffer bridge for progressives. I do find that Flexon wears are often very loyal to them and want them again.

Occupation

To Happylady -a reply

I found out that the Vittadini are a lower end frame. Read: CHEAP. So I am not going to put $350-400 worth of lens into something that I can't rely on down the line. Bottom line is I'll just have to spend the money for a better quality frame. I plan to keep these new glasses for a few years or more, providing my Rx doesn't change. I can't believe the mark-up, though.

Today I went to the medical clinic we go to and where I worked as a nurse for 7 years. I had forgotten all about the optician who has fitted me for glasses 20 years ago and still does with my husband. He was on vacation, but his assistant took a huge amount of time sitting down and helping me to find a suitable frame. She said they can order some I might like and if I don't like them, they'll sell--no problem. And the best thing, she did an itemized total of the lenses with add-ons (same Varilux, Hi-index and Crizal Alize AR.) Not only was it less than the other place I'm thinking of, but she said they'll give me a 20% discount because I used to work there! I used to get the courtesy discount years ago, but this is great they'll still do it! So that brings the lens price down to $303. And she said the frames will have the same 20% discount, as well! So, I might just go ahead and buy them there. I did like the other optician, but at the same time, I know Kevin has been at it a long time and is still working there, so he must be doing a good job. :cheers:

There was one frame and style this gal and I both liked...although I won't buy the brand. I'm just hoping to find a titanium or maybe stainless steel frame with a similar shape. The one I liked was called Modern Optical "Today". Waaaay too cheap to be a quality frame, though. But a nice style for me. Kind of egg-shaped with a flair lens area.

http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp...-mdsdsi/r.html

I don't know anything about the Vittadina frames. Are you a woman? It looks like a woman's frame. You can get spring hinges in very cheap frames, by the way. It doesn't mean it is a good frame. Do you know who makes it?

I put progressives in frames with a B measurement of 29 a lot. I would consider 17 a short corridor lens. It isn't super short, but short.

Flexon frames are really nice frames and not flimsy. They are light because are a nickel titanium blend. I just don't think they are better then a whole lot of other frames, though. Like I said before I like a stiffer bridge for progressives. I do find that Flexon wears are often very loyal to them and want them again.

Thread Information