Thread: Can progressive make you feel like this?

OptiBoard Novice

Angry Can progressive make you feel like this?

I started wearing progressive lensess about a year and a half ago. I went back several times complaing that since getting them, Im off balance, bumping into walls, When im looking from side to side everything bends. Is this normal? Thanks, Lizzy

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Arrow

That happened to me for maybe the first few days...not even a week if I remember correctly. I thought for sure someone slipped me a pill! I called my OD to tell him that things were really WEIRD and I didn't feel quite this bad when I had my first progressives a few years before. He told me not to worry. Just give it a week or so and things should be fine. If not, of course, to call him.

I'm amazed it's lasted that long for you. Sounds like something else is going on. I'm sure the professionals here can be of help. Good luck! I kind of dread getting my new progressives because the frame is a lot slimmer and I'm not sure what kind of reaction my eyes will have.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzylizzy
    I started wearing progressive lensess about a year and a half ago. I went back several times complaing that since getting them, Im off balance, bumping into walls, When im looking from side to side everything bends. Is this normal? Thanks, Lizzy

OptiBoard Novice

frames

My frames are very slim,nicole miller/ tube top. Being a first time wearer of progressive,I knew nothing. They should have educated me about these slim frames. Maybe thats why IM having the problems Im having. Thanks for the reply and good luck!

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I hope this won't be a problem for me when I order slimmer frames. I've been reading about "short corridor progressives", so they definitely are becoming more popular with the slimmer frames, We shall see!

My frames are very slim,nicole miller/ tube top. Being a first time wearer of progressive,I knew nothing. They should have educated me about these slim frames. Maybe thats why IM having the problems Im having. Thanks for the reply and good luck!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Are you kidding?? Walking into walls for 1-1/2 years is not normal! To be honest, I never did that even the very first day I got my first PALs. I think my adaptation was basically the same as when I got any new eyeglass prescription. You can tell it's a little different so it kind of bothers you, but as long as it's a good prescription, I have always adapted within a day. It was the same with PALs. I never got real slim frames, though, as no matter what they tell you, I can tell perfectly well that it is physically impossible to have three different prescriptions within only 1.5 inches of frame. I mean, seriously, it's just impossible. My vision is very important to me and I want to be able to read and work comfortably more than have cute glasses. I have gotten slightly smaller frames over the years but I think I'm at my limit now that I want for any serious work -- and that is about 21-22 mm fitting height.

So, I don't know if that's your problem or you just have a bad prescription. In either case, I never would have put up with it for 1.5 years. Once when I got a new prescription change a few years ago, all of a sudden I could hardly read when I could before. The optometrist would made it for me rechecked it and insisted it was correct for me and that I just needed time to get used to it (hah), but I went for a second opinion to a different shop and optometrist who actually listed to me and examined my reading very closely under different tests, and then wrote me a different new prescription and I could read perfectly well. So the first guy was just wrong and not very good. I never went back to him.

That's a little different than your problem, but I can't even imagine living that way so long. One way to know for sure is get another pair of glasses made that have a lot bigger lens and see what happens. I know PALs are expensive, but I sure would in your case. You can cut out some cost by skipping the A/R coating (which I'm not that crazy about anyway) and just not buying real expensive frames. The frames are usually the top cost. I have gotten perfectly nice frames at chain shops that cost me only about $50.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Something is certainly wrong but what is hard to say. It could be many things.

I have personally worn progressives at 18 and they work fine. Of course you will have more reading area if you go deeper. If you get a lens that is for super short frames you might not have as much for intermediate as it goes quickly from far to near.

I can't imagine not having a AR coat. I see much better with it, reflections really bother me. It is worth spending more and getting a premium AR, they are more scratch resistant and easier to clean.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think Christine is right you have to try to endure the few hours of change. you might feel like you are taller than you were before you picked up your new glasses but you should not be knocking into walls. try to wear the new glasses as much as possible and don't go back to the old single vision glasses at all unless it's an emergancy. I'm positive that a few weeks later you will look back on this and laugh.:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wrote a thread addressing this issue: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...41&postcount=4

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Short Corridors

I'm also a new short corridor progressive wearer (in fact, I'm a new eyeglass wearer, other than 1.25 readers) and I'm having a similar experience. I feel like I'm looking through a fishbowl. I get this in the distance portion, as well as the reading. I also chose a frame that was slimmer (I have a smaller, thin face and those larger eyewires looked ridiculous) and my seg height is about 17mm. I feel like I have no reading and just a short intermediate.

I know I'm in a Varilux but don't know which one - I'll have to look tomorrow when I go to work.

I am OD +.25 sph, OS +.50 -.50 x84 with a 1.00 add.

I was just wondering if your dizziness had cleared up by now? I've had a little dizziness and some mild headaches, but I am only on day 2. I've been wearing them about 4 - 6 hours/day. Should I just wear them all day and tough it out?

Thanks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ65
    I'm also a new short corridor progressive wearer (in fact, I'm a new eyeglass wearer, other than 1.25 readers) and I'm having a similar experience. I feel like I'm looking through a fishbowl. I get this in the distance portion, as well as the reading. I also chose a frame that was slimmer (I have a smaller, thin face and those larger eyewires looked ridiculous) and my seg height is about 17mm. I feel like I have no reading and just a short intermediate.

I know I'm in a Varilux but don't know which one - I'll have to look tomorrow when I go to work.

I am OD +.25 sph, OS +.50 -.50 x84 with a 1.00 add.

I was just wondering if your dizziness had cleared up by now? I've had a little dizziness and some mild headaches, but I am only on day 2. I've been wearing them about 4 - 6 hours/day. Should I just wear them all day and tough it out?

Thanks.
    this is a tough one to call, without a face to face consultation. go back to your optician

Thread Information