Thread: Possible advantages of monocular vision

OptiBoard Novice

Possible advantages of monocular vision

Hey i just wanted to enquire as to whether anyone knew of any possible advantages of monocular vision. I suffer from ONH (optic nerve hyplasia) and just wondered whether there would be any particular activities in which i would be particulary effecient on. I understand my lack of depth perception but i wondered if there was something in which a lack of depth perception may be advantageous?

Regards, Ryan

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ain't much you cain't do.

While I don't know of any occupations that monocular vision is an advantage, I am an ocularist (I make artificial eyes). I see thousands of monocular patients and thier occupations cover almost the entire spectrum and there are only a few where binocular vision is a requirement. You can't be a commercial jet pilot or a buss driver. The last convention I went to most of the ocularists had monocular vision. The man who taught me how to paint irises ran a contact lens manufactureing company, ran a retail optical company, rode bulls, flew airplanes, chased women and did anything you might immagine a West Texas Cowboy might indulge.

Of course, I see a number of deadbeats who want to use monocular vision for an excuse to get the state to support them forever, either in part or in toto.

But there really isn't much you can't do. I can remember reading many history renditions in which the best shot had but one eye and the NRA has never had a champion who shot with both eyes open (although they try to teach marksmen to shoot with both eyes open).

Chip:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanh
    Hey i just wanted to enquire as to whether anyone knew of any possible advantages of monocular vision. I suffer from ONH (optic nerve hyplasia) and just wondered whether there would be any particular activities in which i would be particulary effecient on. I understand my lack of depth perception but i wondered if there was something in which a lack of depth perception may be advantageous?

Regards, Ryan
    You are not totally without depth perception. You lack a particular kind of depth perception know as stereopsis.

I assume you have normal vision in one eye, and that you get around without bumping into things. This proves you have some depth perception. When you judge how far away a car is from you...this also proves that you have it.

You will be excluded from certain occupations such as a pilot and policework. I don't exactly get the policework thing, as most policemen shoot with one eye closed.

You might do better than most people framing a picture in the viewfinder of a camera. How about trying photography?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Flying is not ruled out in USA

While monocular vision will prevent you from obtaining a FAA First Class Medical and I doubt that a major air carrier would hire you it is still possible to fly commercially. You could receive a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA). Waivers are issued for static defects that are not likely to change. Useful vision in only one eye (monocular vision) is one condition for which a medical flight test might be used. There are several hundred pilots flying with monocular vision waivers. Medical flight tests are sometimes conducted to demonstrate that an applicant can safely operate the aircraft. The waiver becomes part of your medical certificate and shows that, although you don't necessarily meet the minimum standards to hold a medical certificate, you have satisfied the FAA that you can safely exercise the privileges of the certificate(s) you hold.

Great Britain may have something similar.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanh

Regards, Ryan
    The only thing that comes to my mind is shooting. Pistol, skeet, rifle, assuming your good eye is on the same side of your body as your handed-ness is (otherwised, forget shooting). The advantage is you don't get any interference from the other eye when aiming, and depth perception is not a big factor. So sharpshooter might be an occupation for you, if that sort of thing appeals to you. Other than that, MOST occupations don't require stereopsis, but there is not much advantage to not having it.

OptiBoardaholic
    If I had one good eye, I would probably stay away from guns! Although, as I was thinking about it scope shooting was the first thing that came to mind. Maybe astronomy would work out. Depending on your situation, you could likely have the ultimate dominant eye. If the good eye is going strong your brain is totally dedicated to the vision in that eye. Again, depending on your situation you could possibly have better vision in your one eye than binocular people have when they only use one eye. Therefore, you may have a slight advantage in any activity which requires you to use only one eye.

;)

Thread Information