Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to glasses... help me out here, please

OptiBoard Apprentice

Newbie to glasses... help me out here, please

Hi everyone. I really need some advice on progressives as this is my first time to wear glasses, other than drug store reading glasses. I noticed that the reading glasses alone are not working for me anymore since my distance has starting getting somewhat blurry. Anyway, I would like to go with a progressive if possible. My question is which one...I can get a good deal on Ovation at Costco, but their AR is questionable. I think it is Divex or something like that. Also, I can get the Ellipse with the Endura AR at a good deal elsewhere. Is that a good AR? I can tell you that all the chains that I have been to, don't know anything. In fact, I think I know more than they do since I have been reading on this forum and trying to be an informed consumer. I am on a limited budget (retired) and trying to meet my needs without breaking the bank. It seems that the private pratice is too expensive for me, at least in my area. I would appreciate your input on the above lens and AR and also if you think I should even go with a progressive or a FT since my add is +225. Here is my prescription...and thank you very much for input!

Dist.
    OD Sphere +150 Cyl -050 axis 090
    OS Sphere +150 cyl DS

Add +225 R & L

Thank You,
    Linda

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go find a competent qualified professional - they will ensure your correction is filled excelently. Sounds smug, but trust me, that is the very best advice you will get

OptiBoard Apprentice
    QDO1, I wish I could afford to do that, but as I said I am on a limited budget. Not to be smug, but can't you just give me a little help with some of the questions that I asked about. Thanks!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lin19. Give some thought to how much you spend on shoes or pantyhose in a year. Glasses are something you are going wear (on your face no less). Isn't your appearance to the world and the world's appearance to you worth more than the appearance of your feet or legs?

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I don't spend money on shoes & panty hose...I am retired and trying to live on Social Security. I can't remember when I last bought a new pair of shoes and I don't wear hose anymore. I have to live frugally, so any purchase I make must be a necessity.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the first decision to make is: bifocals or PAL's. To help us help you make this decision, please let us know about how you fill your day. Pay particular attention to near tasks, hobbies, computer usage, driving etc.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lin19
    Hi everyone. I really need some advice on progressives as this is my first time to wear glasses, other than drug store reading glasses. I noticed that the reading glasses alone are not working for me anymore since my distance has starting getting somewhat blurry. Anyway, I would like to go with a progressive if possible. My question is which one...I can get a good deal on Ovation at Costco, but their AR is questionable. I think it is Divex or something like that. Also, I can get the Ellipse with the Endura AR at a good deal elsewhere. Is that a good AR? I can tell you that all the chains that I have been to, don't know anything. In fact, I think I know more than they do since I have been reading on this forum and trying to be an informed consumer. I am on a limited budget (retired) and trying to meet my needs without breaking the bank. It seems that the private pratice is too expensive for me, at least in my area. I would appreciate your input on the above lens and AR and also if you think I should even go with a progressive or a FT since my add is +225. Here is my prescription...and thank you very much for input!

Dist.
    OD Sphere +150 Cyl -050 axis 090
    OS Sphere +150 cyl DS

Add +225 R & L

Thank You,
    Linda
    This is a catch 22. If I tell you product X is great, then you will go get product X. The problem is that Product X is crap if it isn't measured, processed or adjusted properly. Product Y on the other hand, in capable hands, will perform better than product X despite being "inferior." The "superior product" and a capable optician is wht you should be looking for. Name brands alone don't cut it because a pair of glasses are customized to you. I am not giving you this answer to be a jerk. This really is the answer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    as the DUDE says. we can get you to the point where you select the right product, but the rest is in the hands of the person who dispenses you. Yesterday I worked (as a locum) in a multiple similar to the one you were talking about earlier. I checked 51 progressives. Amazingly 48 of the progressives were set at the minimum fitting height. Trust me - this should not happen - That is an example of "doing what you are told by the corporation" instead of "doing the right thing for the patient"I would love to dispense you properly, but alas the UK isnt very close. a good question to ask is "would any one recommend a value practitioner in my area, who knows what they are doing"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    "Amazingly 48 of the progressives were set at the minimum fitting height. Trust me - this should not happen "

QDO1, what should they be set at? In reference to my lifestyle, I use the computer a lot (hours at a time) and I like to read and work in my yard. I also drive ...mostly in my neighborhood, no long distance trips. Thanks...I appreciate your interest.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Amazingly 48 of the progressives were set at the minimum fitting height. Trust me - this should not happen "

QDO1, what should they be set at? In reference to my lifestyle, I use the computer a lot (hours at a time) and I like to read and work in my yard. I also drive ...mostly in my neighborhood, no long distance trips. Thanks...I appreciate your interest.
    they should be set at exactly at the patients pupil height in the frame. sometimes this will happen to be at the minimum fitting height, sometimes higher than that

what that statistic says is that the fitting height for many of those jobs was too high for the patient.. Too high is the cardinal sin of progressive fitting, as the patients distance vision will be adulterated with the top part of the progression (intermediate)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    they should be set at exactly at the patients pupil height in the frame. sometimes this will happen to be at the minimum fitting height, sometimes higher than that

what that statistic says is that the fitting height for many of those jobs was too high for the patient.. Too high is the cardinal sin of progressive fitting, as the patients distance vision will be adulterated with the top part of the progression (intermediate)
    Unless they are extremely short or tall I would add and this again is why someone who knows what they are doing will fit things more to your lifestyle and take into account the obvious and the not so obvious.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay, I'll bite.

The Ovation is a reasoanbly good progressive. Yes, there are better ones, but it's decent. I don't know anything about Costco's AR so I can't help you there. It is important with AR to RINSE the lenses daily and use mild soap/dish soap or an AR cleaner. I recommend drying with a Bounty(the orginal kind)paper towel, clean AR cloth, or a clean cotton cloth.

If you really need inexpensive glasses Costco has them. When you go sound the optician out and see if they know what they are doing. When she measures you she should preadjust the frames and make sure they are sitting on your nose where you want them to. If you are used to wearing just reading glasses you might need to wear them a little higher.

The optican should be level with you, not higher or lower. She should mark your pupil with a marker on the demo lenses. I use a penlight to find the corneal reflex, but not all opticians do this. She should double check this. I generally draw a line right at the bottom of this mark and use that for the height. I might adjust it if the person tends to hold his head high or is very tall.

She should measure your pupil distance with a instrument she holds to your eyes.She should compare the pd she got with this to the pd she marked on the lenses. Make sure she takes mono pds( one for each eye).

Proper measurements are extremely important so if they seem careless you might want to nicely question them.

Good luck!

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up

It's ironic that in our family, it's my husband who has the eye insurance--VSP. And, yet it's me who needs the expensive glasses. But, I have to agree that while it does cost a pretty penny, these glasses basically ARE my eyes, so I don't mind investing in a quality exam and equally quality pair of spectacles. That doesn't mean that I'm going to buy the most expensive frame because it happens to have the name Prada on it. I'm a bit more frugal in that dept. I'm more of a middle-of-the-road person when it comes to the frames. I'm looking for durability and practicality first, as well as design---not necessarily designER. But, I won't skimp on the actual progressive lenses if it means cheating myself out of a good pair of EYES that I rely on daily.

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Lin19. Give some thought to how much you spend on shoes or pantyhose in a year. Glasses are something you are going wear (on your face no less). Isn't your appearance to the world and the world's appearance to you worth more than the appearance of your feet or legs?

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Happylady,Thank you so much for the info!! Another question, what about the Pd measurements that are on my prescription...58/55? Is this sufficient to get a proper measurement? Also, what about the Varilux Ellipse...have your had luck with that? Thanks again happylady, you are very helpful.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happylady,Thank you so much for the info!! Another question, what about the Pd measurements that are on my prescription...58/55? Is this sufficient to get a proper measurement? Also, what about the Varilux Ellipse...have your had luck with that? Thanks again happylady, you are very helpful.
    NO, the measurements of 58/55 are the distance between your eyes at distance(58) and near(55). They do not take into account that each eye could be a different distance. In most cases it WILL be different. You need to make sure the optician takes a mono pd, which means each eye is measured separately. If she doesn't walk away!

The instrument I mentioned is a pupilimeter and it does take separate meaurements. She should use one. Since I have already marked the patients pupil centers with a marker I then compare them to the measurement I get with the pupilmeter. It should be within 1/2 mm. If not I remeasure again.

It is very important that the measurements are correct. I saw a study that showed that the success rate if progressives were 95% if fit correctly but fell to 55% if the pd was off as little as 1.5 mm.

The Ellipse is the progressive I use if the fitting height is between 14 and 16. I will also use if at 17 but there are other ones I like for that height, also. It seems to have a good distance area and a decent near area.

I have a pair of Hoya CDs that can also be fit as low as 14. I don't like them and never fit them now. The distance area seems poor to me.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Great info Happylady! Now at least, I know what to watch for when I go to get my glasses. I appreciate finally getting some answers!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I have yet another question...is it possible to just pay a real optician to fit my own frame and then buy my glasses (Ellipse) elsewhere(really good price)?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not in my world.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have yet another question...is it possible to just pay a real optician to fit my own frame and then buy my glasses (Ellipse) elsewhere(really good price)?
    That would be an insult to the optician. Were you not impressed with the optician at the place fitting the Ellipse? Maybe that is one reason it was cheaper, because they hire less experienced people.

Many private places will cut you a deal if you ask nicely. I know we give a senior discount of 20%.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds more and more like you want to go first class and pay for tourist.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    chip, Everyone would prefer to go First Class...but not everyone has the means to do so. I bet if you were booking a flight for first class,You would be looking for the best price, and that price may not be in your budget either! I'm just trying to get a good pair of glasses that fit me right with the budget that I have. That may not be possible for me. Maybe I should just go with a flat top and be done with it. Isn't that easier to fit & lower in price?

No, Happylady. I was not impressed with the people that are selling the Ellipse. No knowledge at all!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As long as you don't go with brand name alone and actually seek a knowledgable person to help you with your glasses, you'll do well. I do understand what you are going through. Flat tops are an avenue you can explore too. I like them.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    theDude,Thank You for your kind words and understanding.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with theDude. Find an optician you trust that knows what she/he is doing. Tell them what you need the glasses to do, they will help you find the right lens for you.

I did notice you said you spent hours on the computer. Sometimes progressives work well for computer but the intermediate areas of most progressives are not huge. If your computer screen is straight ahead and not down a little you will need to raise your chin with a progressive to see it. It is possible that your present reading glasses will make an okay pair of glasses for the computer, though, if they are working for the computer now.

Even if I measured you in your frame and you took those measurements to the place that sold the Ellipse they still might not be right. If they order the lenses and cut them there they might not do it right, they might not put the height correctly or the pd correctly. They might not make sure the lenses are laid out straight.

If they order them done from an outside lab they might be sloppy with their standards when they check them in. They might not be good at adjusting the frame. Proper adjustment can mean the difference between progressives working or not working.
    Last edited by Happylady; 01-22-2006 at 09:06 PM.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also I need to add that going from a full reading glass to a progressive will mean a smaller reading area. If you go with a small enough frame that you need a lens like the Ellipse you will get an even smaller area. You might do fine with it, but it will be an adjustment.

You might be happier in a progressive if you try to find a frame that would give you at least 20 mm for a fitting height. It will give you a larger area. The Ellipse has a decent reading area but if you are going with a frame that has a fitting height of 17 mm or less you can't help but have less reading area. It is something to consider. I don't recommend the Ellipse in a frame that allows more then 17 mm fitting height. It isn't designed for that.

Thread Information