Thread: Advice Needed for Astigmatism

OptiBoard Novice

Advice Needed for Astigmatism

Hello everyone,

I have been wearing glasses for astigmatism ever since I was a kid. My experiences were that every time I picked up a new pair, it’d take me up to half a day to get use to it (probably due to different frame designs, distance to eyes, etc). However, this time, I have been wearing the new pair for 3 days and still can’t get use to it. The new pair has 1.6 CR-39 ARC SRC (unknown make, was charged $120 for lenses). Though both pairs gives me the similar level of clearness, here are changes of prescription. New prescription (from new doc):
    OD: PL -2.0 x180

Old prescription (in yr 2002):
    OD: PL -2.5 x180

After spending hours googling everything, I guess I still need helps. I can definitely use some advice for the following:

• Is the reduction of astigmatism possible/normal if I'm getting close to reading glasses? I’m 35 and have been cylinder -2.5 ever since I was in college. How did it come down to -2.0 in three years?
    • The frame designs for both pairs are pretty much the same (plastic without nose pad, square shape, and sitting close to eyes). However, I have noticed that the new lenses have relatively flat surfaces, and the old lenses are pretty much in a ball-shape. Could this be the reason of the distortion? I’ve hear people said atoric/aspheric design might reduce the area of “sweet spot” for astigmatism eyes (I really don’t know the difference between atoric and aspheric).
    • What should I do now? Was it the prescription? Should I go back to the same doc or seek another opinion? Was it the lens design? To me, comfort to see is far more important than the cosmetic appearance. Should I specifically ask for those old fashion ball-shape lenses? Is there any alternatives? Some messages on the net recommend Sola Vizio. What makes it better than other makes?
    Thank,

JW

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Probably base curve issue.........................

Quote Originally Posted by cacmf
    However, I have noticed that the new lenses have relatively flat surfaces, and the old lenses are pretty much in a ball-shape. Could this be the reason of the distortion?
    JW
    You most probably answered your own question............difference in base curve (outside curve). When used to a certain base curve an dthe optician does not follow up with a same base curve you will encounter discomfort many people can not get used. The new flatter base curve is probably the right one, but you were used to a higher curvature.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    My thinking is this: don't go somewhere unless you have a modicum of trust! If they didn't earn your trust, return the whole kit-and-kaboodle and get referred to someone you are going to trust.

You're wasting your time and making life more complex than it need be. Trust a professional, and don't spend time on cyberspace trying to make yourself an expert, and making the experts here play "20 questions".

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    [QUOTE=cacmf]Hello everyone,

I
    • Is the reduction of astigmatism possible/normal if I'm getting close to reading glasses? I’m 35 and have been cylinder -2.5 ever since I was in college. How did it come down to -2.0 in three years?
    It can, but that's not causing the distortion.
    • The frame designs for both pairs are pretty much the same (plastic without nose pad, square shape, and sitting close to eyes). However, I have noticed that the new lenses have relatively flat surfaces, and the old lenses are pretty much in a ball-shape. Could this be the reason of the distortion? I’ve hear people said atoric/aspheric design might reduce the area of “sweet spot” for astigmatism eyes (I really don’t know the difference between atoric and aspheric).
    The turkey upsold you a high index lens for no reason except to make more money on you. It's like selling a starving man a diet snack.

• What should I do now? Was it the prescription? Should I go back to the same doc or seek another opinion? Was it the lens design? To me, comfort to see is far more important than the cosmetic appearance. Should I specifically ask for those old fashion ball-shape lenses? Is there any alternatives? Some messages on the net recommend Sola Vizio. What makes it better than other makes?
    I'd go back and ask for standard plastic (CR-39) like you've always worn, and while he's at it, double check the refraction. If you're gutsy, ask for a refund on the wasted money part...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Right on Dr. Stacy:

But you realizes you makin all dem opticians what knows that the most expensive gotta be da best fo da patient. No question, newer an mo spensive is best.

All newer more expensive technology (even though most of is that way to "mimic" corrected curve lenses) just gotta be betta.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Right on Dr. Stacy:

But you realizes you makin all dem opticians what knows that the most expensive gotta be da best fo da patient. No question, newer an mo spensive is best.

All newer more expensive technology (even though most of is that way to "mimic" corrected curve lenses) just gotta be betta.
    Yo' realizes da o.d.s doin' da same t'ing? Ah hates it!

Seriously, I had a young o.d. fresh out of school tell me that the only way you can make any money in this business is to sell upgrades. What a crock. If true, just means that their fees for regular stuff are too low.

Thread Information