Thread: dry eyes

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

dry eyes

I have one more question totally unrelated to eyeglasses-well-sort of unrelated...
    Now that I am wearing my glasses pretty much all of the time-I don't rub my eyes as much as when I don't have glasses on-and am noticing that my eyes feel dry alot--is this something I should see a dr. for-and if so-should I see an opthamologist? or is this just one more pleasure of getting old ? I'm not looking for a diagnosis-just wondering if this is common or if it could be a problem requiring a drs. attention?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Probably just having the eyes exposed to more air, glasses keep the wind and a lot of dust off. You need to decide for yourself whether you think this is enough of a problem to consult an ophthalmologist. Also note most over the counter eye drops and some Rx ones only last about 20 seconds. You feel better for 20 seconds but why bother for this.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Probably just having the eyes exposed to more air, glasses keep the wind and a lot of dust off. You need to decide for yourself whether you think this is enough of a problem to consult an ophthalmologist. Also note most over the counter eye drops and some Rx ones only last about 20 seconds. You feel better for 20 seconds but why bother for this.
    thanks Chip! so do you mean to tell me I'm NOT getting old? LOL!
    I agree-I don't want to just be putting drops in my eys at random-especially OTC. I just didn't know if it was a problem that I should be seen for...it's not enough of an issue for me to go rushing to a dr. I'll just mention it to my MD as I have an appointment with him in a few weeks. Thanks again!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are many over the counter dry eye drops and there are prescription ones also. Some patients find help by taking fish oil capsules.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Castor oil.......................

Looks like Castor oil can do the trick

Institute of Ophthalmology, University of Padova School of Medicine, Italy.

We treated 11 patients with vernal keratoconjunctivitis for four to nine months with topical cyclosporine as a 2% dilution in castor oil. No significant side effects occurred, except for mild and transient burning upon administration. Within the first 15 days, both symptoms and signs of the condition improved significantly, and these results were maintained throughout the entire treatment. Relapses of the disease occurred two to four months after the end of the therapy. A double-masked clinical trial of nine patients (2% cyclosporine in castor oil vs castor oil alone) confirmed the results. Treated eyes improved significantly for both signs and symptoms as compared to control eyes. Topical cyclosporine may, therefore, be considered an effective substitute for corticosteroids, with an excellent anti-inflammatory activity in patients with both corticosteroid-dependent and corticosteroid-resistant vernal keratoconjunctivitis.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Castor Oil."

Chris: I have been espousing Castor Oil for decades (most that I recommend it too come in and thank me for it as they had used everything the doctors would offer for years without relief). Louis Girard, M.D. told me in the '60's that he used it on chronic cases and later mild cases and "I used it for 24 years, it almost always worked and never got me in trouble."

However when I relay this to one of the lawyer intimidated wimps we have for ophthalmologists today, the reply is (usually) "That's not FDA approved." or "That's not sterile" (neither is thier shower water). I have kinda given up on adviseing "eyecare professionals" on this and am getting a little wimpy about adviseing my own patients of this as I am afraid one of the "eye care professionals" may criticise me for it's use.

Chip

Last I heard some O.D.'s were adding some antibiotic or preservative to it so that they could get FDA approval and the patient wouldn't just go to the drug store and get it cheap.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by roxysmom
    I have one more question totally unrelated to eyeglasses-well-sort of unrelated...
    Now that I am wearing my glasses pretty much all of the time-I don't rub my eyes as much as when I don't have glasses on-and am noticing that my eyes feel dry alot--is this something I should see a dr. for-and if so-should I see an opthamologist? or is this just one more pleasure of getting old ? I'm not looking for a diagnosis-just wondering if this is common or if it could be a problem requiring a drs. attention?
    it could be a number of reasons.
    maybe the constant specs wear and the dry eye symptoms are just a coincidence.
    causes of dry eye:

-decrease of tear production (especially women over 40/hormonal changes)
    -certain systemic meds
    -exposure to certain enviroment temperatures ( especially heat)
    -lack of lipid secretion from meibomian glands due to inflammation
    -tasks requiring constant staring and reducing the number of blinks (computers)
    -compromise of the tear film due to many types of conjunctivitis.
    -systemic disorders (diabetes, sjoren's syndrome, artheritis)
    and many more:

when you wear your specs there is more concentration of heat in front of your eyes.
    your eyes may also be responding to sometype of chemical that you put on your lenses.

or

your specs are also blocking the air that used to hit your eyes and activate the natural reflex blinking, now there is less direct air/eye hit and therefore you don't blink as much causing the dry eyes.

gil
    Last edited by medicalretina; 01-20-2006 at 03:53 PM.
    "blessed to give; grateful to receive"

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Castor Oil not only for digestion.................

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Chris: I have been espousing Castor Oil for decades (most that I recommend it too come in and thank me for it as they had used everything the doctors would offer for years without relief).
    Chip............remember a couple years ago we had some heated discussion right here on the optiboard on the subject of Castor Oil as a universal cure for many eye problems?

Maybe we could put it on the distortive areas of progressives lenses and they might go away......................:bbg:

Thread Information