Thread: scratches on lenses

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

scratches on lenses

Hi everybody-
    Sorry to bother you all again-I have a new question...
    My lenses have Crizal Alize coating on them, and when cleaning them yesterday-I noticed scratches on both lenses that I haven't noticed before. Should the lenses be scrathced up already? Does Alize scratch easily? they are CR 39. I clean them only with a spray bottle of water and a couple drops of dishsoap(Ivory with NO antibacterial property) and the cleaning cloth that came with my glasses? I'm just bummed that they are scratched already...but with all the trouble I've had getting the lenses right-am VERY reluctant to have them remade...Thanks for your responses in advance...

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You should rinse the lenses under running water everyday. That will rinse away anything that is on the lenses. How often do you wash your cloth? You should wash it every week with mild dish soap.

Some people will disagree with me, but I like to dry my glasses with a Bounty paper towel. The orginal Bounty, not the new cheaper one.

I read years ago about a study they did in various ways to clean AR lenses. This was before the more scratch resistant AR lenses we have today. The found the best way to clean them was regular Dawn and a clean AR cloth. The second best was Dawn and a Bounty paper towel.

Bounty did better then a cotton cloth or standard paper towels. I use Bounty in my finishing lab to clean the lenses off.

Remember, the most important thing is to rinse the lenses. If you have dirt or something on your lenses and wipe them dry you can scratch them.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Scratches.......................

Quote Originally Posted by roxysmom
    I noticed scratches on both lenses that I haven't noticed before. Should the lenses be scrathced up already? Does Alize scratch easily? they are CR 39.
    There is nothing in this optical world that does not scratch. Even if you clean them properly you might have gotten some scratches from other sources than from cleaning. If they were not there when you got the lenses, you have somehow made them yourself.

It is not the lens material that makes a difference it is the top layer which is your AR coating that gets scratched first.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

crizal scratches

crizal has a 2 year warranty, order new ones.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Remember, the most important thing is to rinse the lenses. If you have dirt or something on your lenses and wipe them dry you can scratch them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Chris and Happy Lady...
    I spray them from the spray bottle always before wiping them. Guess I will just have to live with the scratches...The only thing I worry about is that if they already have scratches--what will they be like in a month or two . Maybe I should just not clean them anymore--LOL!!:hammer:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optimanj
    crizal has a 2 year warranty, order new ones.
    Thanks for the advice...I think I will wait for a few months to order to see if they get worse or not--you wouldn't believe what I have gone through to get glasses that I could see out of both lenses from clearly and with out having pain in my eyes...it's a long story...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Lenses like dust. They have an electromagnetic property that draws particles of dust out of the air.

When you spray from a bottle (water or cleaner) (or breathe on them to fog them up) you are simply misting the lenses and trapping the dust on the lens.

Then, when the lens is wiped, it rubs the dust particles into the lens.

Rinsing the lenses under running water flushes the dust from the surface of the lens.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many people "clean thier lenses" dry with a shirt-tail no matter how dirt and dusty the lenses or the shirt-tail. Just a little dry dust, sand or grit will scratch any lens, especially plastic. You should always have a clean soft cloth or bounty towel and wipe the moisture (which you put there rinseing or cleaning and rinsing first) dry an quit. If a spray cleaner is used (not necessisarily best for all coatings) hold the lens far away from the spray so that a minimum of dropletts are on the lens, therfore you don't have to do as much wiping to remove the liquid.

Chip

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen
    Lenses like dust. They have an electromagnetic property that draws particles of dust out of the air.

When you spray from a bottle (water or cleaner) (or breathe on them to fog them up) you are simply misting the lenses and trapping the dust on the lens.

Then, when the lens is wiped, it rubs the dust particles into the lens.

Rinsing the lenses under running water flushes the dust from the surface of the lens.
    Thanks--I will remember that from now on-I never thought of it like that and had been told to spray them-so didn't even think about the running water flushing them off--thanks so much for the advice.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    If a spray cleaner is used (not necessisarily best for all coatings)

Chip[/QUOTE]
    I only use soap and water-never a cleaner.

Occupation
    Thanks--I will remember that from now on-I never thought of it like that and had been told to spray them-so didn't even think about the running water flushing them off--thanks so much for the advice.
    You're welcome ~

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    There is nothing in this optical world that does not scratch. Even if you clean them properly you might have gotten some scratches from other sources than from cleaning.

This is very true !

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    [QUOTE=Happylady]
    Some people will disagree with me, but I like to dry my glasses with a Bounty paper towel. /QUOTE]

I've been recommending paper towels for 30 years. The problem with cloth is it gets grit and becomes the culprit. Even if you launder it, some grit gets left behind. The little microfiber cloths everyone hands out are the worst culprit.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    [QUOTE=William Stacy O.D.]
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Some people will disagree with me, but I like to dry my glasses with a Bounty paper towel. /QUOTE]

I've been recommending paper towels for 30 years. The problem with cloth is it gets grit and becomes the culprit. Even if you launder it, some grit gets left behind. The little microfiber cloths everyone hands out are the worst culprit.
    Wish my optician would have told me that when he gave me the cleaning cloth-guess I'm on my way to the store to but some Bounty:idea:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    [QUOTE=roxysmom]
    Quote Originally Posted by William Stacy O.D.
    Wish my optician would have told me that when he gave me the cleaning cloth-guess I'm on my way to the store to but some Bounty:idea:
    Make sure you ALWAYS, in this order:

Rinse

Wash

Rinse

Dry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    . Should the lenses be scrathced up already? Does Alize scratch easily?
    Are you sure you received Alize? I don't use that particular product, but I hear it holds up tremendously well. I agree with the above thread that says you should have them replaced. How long did it take to receive your glasses the first time? Do they have the ability to allow you to keep your frames in the meantime?

AA

Occupation

Big Smile anti static properties...............

Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen
    That very nice............if the slick coat would have been a OMS anti static slick coat the lenses would not have liked the dust......it would have fallen off...................because there would been anti - static properties.

:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are probably not Crizal lenses, as the Shamir lens is not on the list of Crizal compatable lenses. I do believe that you mention the Shamir lens in a previous post.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by William Stacy O.D.
    The problem with cloth is it gets grit and becomes the culprit. Even if you launder it, some grit gets left behind. The little microfiber cloths everyone hands out are the worst culprit.
    A high quality microfiber cloth will clean/wipe dry much better than paper, and is less likely to scratch or create haze on coated or uncoated optics.

http://www.toraysee.jp/e/what/

The Luminex brand is distributed by Universal Photonics. I've heard that 3M has a decent cloth also.

Hope this helps
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro
    A high quality microfiber cloth will clean/wipe dry much better than paper, and is less likely to scratch or create haze on coated or uncoated optics.

http://www.toraysee.jp/e/what/

The Luminex brand is distributed by Universal Photonics. I've heard that 3M has a decent cloth also.

Hope this helps
    Microfiber clothes are fine but they need to be kept clean. I have never scratched a lens with a Bounty paper towel.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rinsing is good but when not a practical concideration, I may have been taught wrong but I have been taught that the moisture (spray, spit, or whatever) was to lubricate whatever abrasive dirt may be on the lenses, making it less abrasive. There are times when one does not have running water or bounty towels with one. Glasses can get quite dirty no matter where one is.

Especially that we have opticians that believe mechanics, dirt bike riders, horsemen, hunters, fishermen or whatever need antireflective coatings.

Chip

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Micro Cloth..................

When a lens contains a hydrophobic coating which most of them have these days the microcloth are not needed any more. A hydrophobic coating will fill the pores between the AR crystals and you have a clean surface and no more gaps were the micro cloth would remove the dirt.

If you have a slick coat on it you should be able to use just about anything but sand paper or steel wool to clean them.

:bbg:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    They are probably not Crizal lenses, as the Shamir lens is not on the list of Crizal compatable lenses. I do believe that you mention the Shamir lens in a previous post.
    Actually, Shamir lenses are Crizal-able, but don't just believe me, call your lab.

Occupation

Every lens is...................

Quote Originally Posted by spartus
    Actually, Shamir lenses are Crizal-able, but don't just believe me, call your lab.
    Every lens is Cryzal able if you strip the existing hardcoat and apply one made with the Essilor proprietory formula.

Thread Information