Thread: Vicious rumor mill

Occupation
    Optometrist

Vicious rumor mill

Anyone know if ProDesign Denmark is in Lenscrafters in their area? "I heard from a reputable source" that they were going into some stores, despite there being no lack of Luxottica brands to fill the boards.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optic Studio/Pro Design

I hope they stay out of the Luxotica stores

Ed

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unless they bought ProDesign, I wouldn't see the reasoning, but then again, good reasoning seems to be lacking throughout the industry.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's true.....they are definatly in LC. Call the Springfield Mall location....I think that's where I saw them.....(703)971-8201.....yes I just called, it's true. That's why I didn't put them in the store last year!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper smart move................

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Anyone know if ProDesign Denmark is in Lenscrafters in their area? "I heard from a reputable source" that they were going into some stores, despite there being no lack of Luxottica brands to fill the boards.
    If it is no rumor it is just a smart move.................they put the product into some stores but not in most..................so they cam claim to have other than only Lux products which are the main brand in regular as well as dicontinued lines.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

How about some new news..................

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    If it is no rumor it is just a smart move.................they put the product into some stores but not in most..................so they cam claim to have other than only Lux products which are the main brand in regular as well as dicontinued lines.
    As early as 3 years ago Luxottica's annual report stated that only 70 percent of the products in Lenscrafters and Sunglass Hut were Luxottica brands. Prior to that it was and even lower percentage.

But since this is all rumor, speculate all you want.

Rep

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've stopped worrying about what was in Lenscrafters since the cole aquisition. We don't see the ads for $99 specs there anymore.

Lux now seems to be aligning Lenscrafters as high end, Pearle as middle, and Sears as competition to Walmart.

My prices are lower than Lenscrafters, clients pay extra for the mall location and one hour service.

Don't mistake this post as a love-fest for Lux, business is business, emotions should not rule. As a practical point, I don't like being a test market for the competion and have no intention of accepting Eye-med. Let those patients go to Lenscrafters (no provider choice), pay more, get angry, complain to company HR, then be on a different plan next year.
    Harry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm with you, Harry, about not wanting to participate in Eyemed, but I have to share this with you.

I have probably the single biggest "group" in my office switching to Eyemed this year. They are a national-in-scope company, and the insurance buying decisions are made far away in NYC.

The Eyemed provider panel in this area is thin, for sure, mostly Lux stores with the odd independant.

These families that I have come to know and serve are really going to be screwed if I don't consider joining the panel. They are going to get inferior care, plain and simple.

The conundrum is that I don't want to enhance Lux's provider panel (selling their product is out of the question), but I really do care about these people.

The out-of-network benefits are their only hope. Not that my fees are crazy, or anything. I think some would be loyal to the care, but about 50% would at least "try the other guy" once.

I'm soft-hearted on the one hand and greedy on the other. And spineless, to boot.

Help!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    DRK -

What about offering your eyemed patients a 25 % courtesy discount and let them bill for out of network reimbursement ??

K

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thank you GOS. I've considered it, but willy-nilly discounts are unfair, IMO. If I give it to Willy, I'll be compelled to give it to Nilly. I justify insurance patients' de-facto discounts as the economical benefits of "prepaid medical expenses" but actually try like the dickens to get them to utilize their pre-paid benefits fully (and then some).No, I guess if my U&C isn't fair, it needs to be changed.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm with you, Harry, about not wanting to participate in Eyemed, but I have to share this with you.

I have probably the single biggest "group" in my office switching to Eyemed this year. They are a national-in-scope company, and the insurance buying decisions are made far away in NYC.

The Eyemed provider panel in this area is thin, for sure, mostly Lux stores with the odd independant.

These families that I have come to know and serve are really going to be screwed if I don't consider joining the panel. They are going to get inferior care, plain and simple.

The conundrum is that I don't want to enhance Lux's provider panel (selling their product is out of the question), but I really do care about these people.

The out-of-network benefits are their only hope. Not that my fees are crazy, or anything. I think some would be loyal to the care, but about 50% would at least "try the other guy" once.

I'm soft-hearted on the one hand and greedy on the other. And spineless, to boot.

Help!
    Been there, done that. My office is locate walking distance from 7000 Intel employees, so a year ago when eyemed snagged the intel contract from vsp, my practice went from 80% vsp to 40% vsp and 40% eyemed. I was luckily already an eyemed provider. I hate eyemed because the patients have lost a lot, but we panel members actually make more money at the patients' expense, and we have more lab choices. Fortunately they removed the requirement that you buy lux frames. If I were you I'd bite the bullet and join, but keep your fees (or make sure your fees are) UP. An added advantage is if you're the only eyemed guy around, you will get busier. I'm getting eyemed patients from a town that is 30 miles away because there's not a single eyemed provider in that town of 8 o.d.s and 5 o.m.d.s. (not many, because most of them do just go off panel, but some is more than I used to get)...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We were in the same boat. A large percentage of our existing client base was switched to Eyemed. In some cases, the patients are getting more.. considering prior they were a VSP Exam+ program.

We bit the bullet, and are waiting our certification. I had a patient with a red eye come in the other day, and she just brought all of her information with her. When I looked over everything that came with the card, I was surprised that the list of providers didn't specify LensCrafters. It had down a Sears, Dr. Tavels (local chain) and a handful of independants.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Help!
    Dr K Just ran the provider locator for Columbus. This is just the first 10 places! THIN?

PLAZA VISION
    Dr. RICHARD ROSENTHAL
    280 N HIGH ST STE 1B
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 221-8090
    MRVC INC (COLUMBUS VISION CTR)
    26 HIGH ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 221-4544

LensCrafters LANE AVENUE SHOPPING CENTER
    1595 W LANE AVE
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 486-7589

RINKOV EYECARE CENTER
    Dr. MARK H RINKOV
    Dr. GREG COBURN
    Dr. CHRIS JORDAN
    81 E GAY ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 224-2414

TODD M CLARK OD LLC
    846 N HIGH ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 299-8388

EYES ON THE CAPITOL
    Dr. JAMES L EDICK
    21 E STATE ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 224-8005

JEFFREY CAPELLE OD
    208 E STATE ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 224-3456

OHIO STATE OPTICAL
    303 E TOWN ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 221-7861

D O C OPTICAL
    145 COLUMBUS CITY CTR STE D125
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 224-2277

PROFESSIONAL EYE CARE ASSOC
    Dr. DAVID P DICKSON
    Dr. ROBERT F KOERNER
    Dr. SIMONE BLAKE
    685 BRYDEN RD
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 461-1885

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

harry888 :I've stopped worrying about what was in Lenscrafters since the cole aquisition. We don't see the ads for $99 specs there anymore.Lux now seems to be aligning Lenscrafters as high end, Pearle as middle, and Sears as competition to Walmart.

I agree Harry but what about Target Optical and BJs Optical.Their also Lux now too right? I know that they presently have 2 pair specials for $98 with many of their frames GET THIS are newly acquired Lux frames like Armani and Ungaro.In referencing to the tiered pricing ,where are they on the Lux List.Also do you know what kind of AR they are using by any chance anyone?

Big T
    Last edited by Florida Specs; 01-24-2006 at 10:55 PM.
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikef
    Dr K Just ran the provider locator for Columbus. This is just the first 10 places! THIN?

PLAZA VISION
    Dr. RICHARD ROSENTHAL
    280 N HIGH ST STE 1B
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 221-8090
    MRVC INC (COLUMBUS VISION CTR)
    26 HIGH ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 221-4544

LensCrafters LANE AVENUE SHOPPING CENTER
    1595 W LANE AVE
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 486-7589

RINKOV EYECARE CENTER
    Dr. MARK H RINKOV
    Dr. GREG COBURN
    Dr. CHRIS JORDAN
    81 E GAY ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 224-2414

TODD M CLARK OD LLC
    846 N HIGH ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 299-8388

EYES ON THE CAPITOL
    Dr. JAMES L EDICK
    21 E STATE ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 224-8005

JEFFREY CAPELLE OD
    208 E STATE ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 224-3456

OHIO STATE OPTICAL
    303 E TOWN ST
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 221-7861

D O C OPTICAL
    145 COLUMBUS CITY CTR STE D125
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 224-2277

Dr. DAVID P DICKSON
    Dr. ROBERT F KOERNER
    Dr. SIMONE BLAKE
    685 BRYDEN RD
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 461-1885
    Big city, bro. Fifteenth largest in the US. That's thin, compared to VSP, and you know it. I know each and every one of those docs, and I know my market, thank you.

NONETHELESS, I am going to TRY (TRY) Eyemed just this ONCE. None of your fine ubiqitous product, thank you (man, it's everywhere, already). If/when you put the gun to my head, I will drop out. I'm going to have it both ways, nyah, nyah, nyah!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think what is more important to look at is how many companies offer Eyemed to their employee's in a specific area compared with other plans (like VSP). Because in my experiance almost everybody takes almost every insurance plan, but almost every company offers only one eye care plan, and more and more lately it seems to be VSP. And who wants to support Luxottica anyway?! I say don't take it!

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Big city, bro. Fifteenth largest in the US. That's thin, compared to VSP, and you know it. I know each and every one of those docs, and I know my market, thank you.

NONETHELESS, I am going to TRY (TRY) Eyemed just this ONCE. None of your fine ubiqitous product, thank you (man, it's everywhere, already). If/when you put the gun to my head, I will drop out. I'm going to have it both ways, nyah, nyah, nyah!

Here are some more!
    Providers Near You.

Dr. DAVID P DICKSON
    Dr. ROBERT F KOERNER
    Dr. SIMONE BLAKE
    685 BRYDEN RD
    COLUMBUS , OH
    (614) 461-1885

DAVID L WAITE OD
    933 S HIGH ST
    COLUMBUS , OH