Thread: Advice greatly appreciated

OptiBoard Novice

Question Advice greatly appreciated

I am a 61 year old male who has worn spectacles for the past 28 years.
    Last year whilst visiting Thailand I had three pairs of glasses made, that being, reading glasses, distance glasses, and tinted distance glasses for driving.

I'm re-visiting Thailand in the next couple of months and I would ideally like to get a pair of progressives made.

I'm quite ignorant about lenses, finish etc, particularly after reading this forum, so I'm seeking some assistance.

My prescription reads: Sphere: right+2.50; Cyl-0.50; Axis 90; prism -Add+2.25; int -.
    Left: +3.50; Cyl-0.50; Axis 70. Prism -; Add: +2.25. Int -.

I have to add that the prescription may as well be in Swahili as I don't know what it all means except to say that my left eye needs a stronger lens than the right.

QUESTIONS: I currently have Hoya lenses. Should I stick with Hoya or go for something different for progressives?
    Can I have progressives tinted for driving?
    What sort of finish should I be looking at? I read somewhere on this forum about a "satin polished finish".

And lastly, what would the fourm members recommend in the way of spectacles for computer use? I find that the pair I now have which progresses from distance to reading, are not suitable for the computer, as I have to tilt my head back at a considerable angle to look through the botton of the spectacles in order to read the screen, thus resulting in a stiff neck after about 30 minutes on the computer.

I would be most grateful for any advice offered.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginty11
    I am a 61 year old male who has worn spectacles for the past 28 years.
    Last year whilst visiting Thailand I had three pairs of glasses made, that being, reading glasses, distance glasses, and tinted distance glasses for driving.

I'm re-visiting Thailand in the next couple of months and I would ideally like to get a pair of progressives made.

I'm quite ignorant about lenses, finish etc, particularly after reading this forum, so I'm seeking some assistance.

My prescription reads: Sphere: right+2.50; Cyl-0.50; Axis 90; prism -Add+2.25; int -.
    Left: +3.50; Cyl-0.50; Axis 70. Prism -; Add: +2.25. Int -.

I have to add that the prescription may as well be in Swahili as I don't know what it all means except to say that my left eye needs a stronger lens than the right.

QUESTIONS: I currently have Hoya lenses. Should I stick with Hoya or go for something different for progressives?
    What sort of finish should I be looking at? I read somewhere on this forum about a "satin polished finish".

And lastly, what would the fourm members recommend in the way of spectacles for computer use? I find that the pair I now have which progresses from distance to reading, are not suitable for the computer, as I have to tilt my head back at a considerable angle to look through the botton of the spectacles in order to read the screen, thus resulting in a stiff neck after about 30 minutes on the computer.

I would be most grateful for any advice offered.
    If you are happy with Hoya progressives, stay with them. Of course they can be tinted. You don't need polished edges, as your edges should be pretty thin, but you could do it. I'd recommend Hoya Trivex ECP as a great lightweight and thin progressive with very nice optics (I'm wearing them right now) with an AR coat. Hoya high vision is good, add the "super" treatment and you have a terrific lens.

For computers, I'd get a pair of single vision lenses made of a power about half way between your distance and near Rxs if you only use the monitor. If you also need to see small print hard copy closer in than the monitor, get a bifocal for computers only with the top as mentioned and the lower with the same near power as your progressives. For those I'd also recommend trivex.

OptiBoard Novice

Wink Thanks

Thank you William for your advice. I have printed out your reply and I will take it with me to Thailand to hand to the optical shop that made my glasses on my previous visitation.

OptiBoardaholic

Just an added note

Dr Stacey has given great advice that I would replicate. I just wanted to add that the top of your computer monitor should be an inch or two below eye level. This may be enough to keep that stiff neck away. If you can't adjust the level of your monitor you may be stuck, otherwise it is a good free way of improving ergonomics and relieving neck tension.

Also, before you get computer glasses... measure the distance (in centimeters) from your eyes to your monitor and also from your eyes to your keyboard. This may aid your doctor and give him the best chance at a successful computer Rx.

Hope this gets to you before your trip.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The satin polish finish you refer to is done to the edges of the lenses. A standard edge has a flat white finish that most people find unattractive. A polished edge has a shinny clear finish. Most people like this but some people find it causes reflections in their lenses. A satin finish is softer, not white like a standard edge but not so shinny. You can look at your glasses now and if you can see the edge you should be able to tell. In your prescription the edge would probably only show on the inside of the lenses(near the nose)unless it is rimless.

I suggest that instead of a tinted lens for driving you get a polarized lens. This is available in progressives. A polarized lens is the best for glare.

I also suggest you get an aspheric lens for your glasses. With a + prescription like you have it will make the lenses flatter and magnify your eyes less. Correctly fit you might find the optics better. Some Hoya lenses might have this, some might not.

All progressives are aspheric from the 180(the middle of the lens)down to the bottom. What you want is a lens that is aspheric over it's whole surface. Most(perhaps all) 1.67 high index lenses are aspheric. Many polycarb and mid index lenses are also. Hoya does make a trivex progressive and I am not sure if it is fully aspheric or not. I can check tomorrow. A 1.67 would be thinner then Trivex, though.

I am a little confused in you post though about your glasses. You mention a distance pair and a reading pair and then further down mention a progressive pair.

The reason you are having to tilt your head back with your computer is that the intermediate area of progressives are in the middle of the lens. Chances are your monitor is straight ahead which would be the distance area of your progressives. Like another poster said you should look slightly down on it. If it is possible to lower it(or raise you) I suggest you try it.

Even with the computer monitor in the correct place you might still find the intermediate area of your progressives are not wide enough. In which case you might want to get a pair of glasses with computer lenses. These have intermediate at the top and change to a reading at the bottom and they have no lines. There are several great designs out there.

I also suggest you get a high quality anti reflective coating on your lenses. You can tell if you have this now by what color the reflections on your lenses are. If they are white then you don't have it. If they are blue/green then you do. I suggest you get the best AR you can. The best ARs are easier to clean and scratch less.
    Last edited by Happylady; 01-15-2006 at 04:10 PM.

OptiBoard Novice

Big Smile What terrific information!!

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Although I have been wearing reading/distance/progressives for almost 30 years, my knowledge bordered on the abysmal until I discovered this site recently.

I use an old pair of progressives for the computer, as I find I have to sit forward with the reading glasses, and the distance glasses are not good for computer work.

You are correct, I DO NOT have any coating on the progressives, therefore I am not protected from the screen's glare.

Like William's advice earlier, I have printed out your finely considered and detailed reply and I will be taking it to Thailand with me to hand to the company that produced the glasses for me last year. Based on your advice I will get a pair of computer glasses, and a pair of tinted progressives. I say tinted because I believe that Thailand does not have access to the polaroid technology. However, I could be wrong about that last point, and unless someone on this forum knows about the polaroid situation in Thailand, it is something that I will checking out whilst in Bangkok.

Once again many thanks.
    Ginty11

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper TGhailand....................

Thailand os one of the larger optical manufacturing countries today. You will fid just about everything in the optical your hart desires. Most of those name brand lens manufacturers have manufactruing facilities there.

Therere are also some very qualifed optical stores. You will do OK. and get your glasses at less than 50% than in North America.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You are correct, I DO NOT have any coating on the progressives, therefore I am not protected from the screen's glare.
    Actually AR coatings don't do much for computer screen glare, unless they are applied to the computer screen itself. They are nice for other reasons, like looks, because your lenses themselves reflect less (towards you and towards people looking at you).

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Please note that HOYA Summit ECP is known as Summit Pro in Thailand.
    RT

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by William Stacy O.D.
    Actually AR coatings don't do much for computer screen glare, unless they are applied to the computer screen itself. They are nice for other reasons, like looks, because your lenses themselves reflect less (towards you and towards people looking at you).
    I have to say that when working at my computer the reflections from the overhead lighting, and the huge window in our office is troublesome without an A/R. Although you are technically correct, I've found that the A/R is a very valuable addition for folks at a computer all day.

AA

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Only get tiontable....................

This is my domaine........................ask your optician.........whatever you can not tint to any shade you want.............dont buy it.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by RT
    Please note that HOYA Summit ECP is known as Summit Pro in Thailand.
    Ginty, it is also known as a Summit Pro here in Aus too. Why don't you buy your specs here? Too expensive?

If you have your heart set on a Hoya progressive and Thailand's are as cheap as chips, then investigate the Hoyalux ID. It's almost prohibitively expensive here but you may be able to get almost the finest progressive ever invented if you buy it in Thailand!

Oh btw, could you bring me back a carton of duty-free smokes? :D

Happy hunting!

Trev

http://www.optopia.com.au

OptiBoard Novice

Wave The economic advantages of buying glasses in Thailand

Trev,

I go to Thailand once every year on business. The country fascinates me, so at the conclusion of my business, my wife and I have a three-week holiday.

Last year in Chiang Mai I had a pair of prescription sunglasses made with Hoya lenses, a pair of reading glasses and a pair of distance glasses, all with Hoya lens.

My wife also had a pair of reading glasses made.

The cost including fashionable frames? 13,000 baht, which equated at the time to $AUD419. In Australia I would be lucky to get one pair for that amount, let alonge four pairs.

I was most impressed with the service (five days from entering the optical shop with my Australian prescription to leaving with the all the glasses). They seemed to be right up there with modern lens technology and all the frames were cutting edge but at around 75% less than one would expect to pay Australia.

So with the need to travel to Thailand at least once annually, it would seem somewhat imprudent not to take advantage of the optical offers available in Thailand.

As for those smokes Trev - well I'm not a medical professional - but I think my sage advice would be to give them away - NOW!!!

Ginty11

Thread Information