Thread: Implantation Of 50-electrode Artificial Retina

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up Implantation Of 50-electrode Artificial Retina

Press Release

SUCCESSFUL IMPLANTATION OF 50-ELECTRODE ARTIFICIAL RETINA
    Intelligent Medical Implants AG (IMI) has announced that its first-generation Learning Retinal Implant System, containing a 50-electrode device, was successfully implanted in two patients in December 2005. Clinical testing of this device with these two patients will commence this month (January) at the University of Hamburg Medical School ,Germany, under principal investigator Dr. Gisbert Richard, Professor of Ophthalmology.

Click for article: Medical Technology Business Europe

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    this is facinating and scary stuff. it wasnt so long ago that digital cameras were not possible, because of the deficiancy in technology, and now a retina sized ccd has 12 mega pixels on it. when the technologies converge, the possibilities will be awsome. nerve/neural mapping and interface technology will be the next big leap. there is significant (similar) work being done in cochlear implant technology, where fortunatally the nerve layout is a little more helpeful

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    that is fascinating,
    however the optic nerve is made up of about 1 million nerve fibers that convert and transmit visual signals to the brain.
    being that the case, any device that is attached to the neuro sensory retina would only be limited to send a gross bulk image to the brain using a small portion of the nerve fibers.
    don't get me wrong, the is a miracle for the blind folks with retinal related pathalogy.
    steve wonder, would probably be a good candidate for this technology

gil

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by medicalretina
    that is fascinating,
    however the optic nerve is made up of about 1 million nerve fibers that convert and transmit visual signals to the brain.
    being that the case, any device that is attached to the neuro sensory retina would only be limited to send a gross bulk image to the brain using a small portion of the nerve fibers.
    don't get me wrong, the is a miracle for the blind folks with retinal related pathalogy.
    steve wonder, would probably be a good candidate for this technology

gil
    Right, can you imagine the wiring harness? And can you imagine splicing all those little connectors? I had a friend who spliced optical cable for the phone company and he complained that connecting even one of those little suckers was a nightmare...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    that's exactly correcto!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i can see some form of adaptive technology here - splice in say 10000 fine electrodes, without specifically knowing what individual nerve fiber they were aiming for, and then doing some form of field test, to identify what nerve was responding to what stimulus, and then re-programming the routing at a software level

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    that sounds interesting!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    not sure i would want too do the field test though. i was of the impression that there was a level of processing in the retina, that can be modeled with "logical gates" that effectivley reduces the number of nerve fibers going to the brain VS the number of receptors in the retina

OptiBoardaholic

Happy to see it

I am very happy to see the trials taking place, but it is hard to get too excited when you think of the limitations. Only a few conditions, such as RP will be correctable. I think that a more likely solution to these types of afflictions will lie in genetic therapy and other biochemical advances. At the same time, we really need to make some progress in this area and trials like this will push the technology forward. I solute those who are participating in these monumental advances in science!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    i can see some form of adaptive technology here - splice in say 10000 fine electrodes, without specifically knowing what individual nerve fiber they were aiming for, and then doing some form of field test, to identify what nerve was responding to what stimulus, and then re-programming the routing at a software level
    This technology IS a start, but a very rudimentary one at that. It works more like this...the sensor panel connected implanted in the retina is connected wirelessly to a computer. Electrodes are implanted in the visual cortex to deliver the stimuli. The "image" perceived by the brain is perhaps comparable to the old "Pong" video game. These patients will see black and white objects that move around as objects in the field move. An object coming closer might be perceived as a white blob getting bigger. Hardly what we are used to...but it is a start...look at how lifelike video games are today.

Occupation

Thumbs up

Considering I've watched my grandmother go blind over the past few years due to macular degeneration and my mother being diagnosed with it last year. I love the concept that they are moving these technologies forward so if my mother does become blind(or, if in my later years, I follow the family trend), there may be better hope than now.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    my advice to you and your mother.
    is to start taking ocular vitamins as a preventive approach.
    wear u.v. protection at all times as well.
    and do not smoke.

gil

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper UV protection needed..............................

Quote Originally Posted by medicalretina
    my advice to you and your mother.
    is to start taking ocular vitamins as a preventive approach.
    wear u.v. protection at all times as well.
    and do not smoke.
    gil
    UV protection makes good sense................I dont know about the smoking

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    UV protection makes good sense................I dont know about the smoking
    Smoking has definately been linked to worsening ARMD. It is also bad to take vitamins containing leutein if you are a smoker. Studies show you would be better off not taking them if you smoke.
    Last edited by fjpod; 01-16-2006 at 09:19 PM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    Smoking has definately been linked to worsening ARMD. It is also bad to take vitamins containing leutein if you are a smoker. Studies show you would be better off not taking them if you smoke.
    i stand corrected!

gil
    Last edited by medicalretina; 01-17-2006 at 10:24 PM.

OptiBoardaholic

Sorry to burst your bubble

Actually, you should recommend vitamins with lutein to smokers or people who have smoked within the last eight years. The reason is that beta-carotene increases the risk of lung cancer if injested by a smoker. Otherwise, we would recommend a diet that includes high amounts of leafy green vegetables. Leafy green vegetables contain beta-carotene and lutein. By recommending a vitamin with lutein, you get the benefit of the anti-oxidant without the beta-carotene.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialT
    Actually, you should recommend vitamins with lutein to smokers or people who have smoked within the last eight years. The reason is that beta-carotene increases the risk of lung cancer if injested by a smoker. Otherwise, we would recommend a diet that includes high amounts of leafy green vegetables. Leafy green vegetables contain beta-carotene and lutein. By recommending a vitamin with lutein, you get the benefit of the anti-oxidant without the beta-carotene.
    i stand corrected,

gil
    "blessed to give; grateful to receive"

Thread Information