hi, folks, I'm back. Well, I posted last Fall in trying to change lenses -- I went from Sola VIP Gold (which I don't think they make any more) 1.56 and was almost getting Varilux but then the new optician I went to said she thought Zeiss was the best for me as I said I used the computer and played piano so wanted good intermediate, and of course, I want good reading. I don't remember the brand of Zeiss, whatever the basic one is, I guess (not Brevity).

Okay, then I read some specs on Zeiss' website that implied the fitting height was really big (like min 22 mm) and my frame was 20 mm which is still a lot bigger than many. However, I did read some optical article that rated Zeiss about highest in intermediate zone. I was just afraid I wouldn't have hardly any reading vision. Anyway, when I pick them up I question about that and they say Zeiss website is out of date and it's now 18 minimum or something. I thought that was fishy, did they just change what it said but keep the lenses the same?

Much to my surprise -- I can read very well and the reading area seems even bigger than my last pair so I am very pleased with that. However, to my greater surprise, the intermediate area seems worthless. In fact, I'm not sure I use the intermediate area for anything. I see much better looking more through the bottom of the lens (ie, tilting my head up a bit to look down) at both my computer and music on the piano. Both my computer screen and piano music are not dead-on from my face, but a little lower to begin with, and both are about arm's length from my face (around 24"). The piano music is a bit closer, maybe 18-20", from my face.

This isn't a major deal, but I have had to generally tilt my head up a bit when I would prefer not to, as I don't think that's so great on your neck. I think I may use the intermediate area for watching TV or something, but that's pretty far away (maybe 8 feet). I think the distance vision seems okay, I don't notice any problems driving or walking around that bother me.

Is this normal? My prescription has a +2.00 add on the reading part. That was the only change, it used to be +1.75, I think. I sort of recall the optician telling me something about maybe tilting my head a little, but I'm not sure. Last night I went to another optical store as I was thinking of getting a second cheap pair of single vision glasses just in the reading prescription to see how that worked for things, since I seemed to be using it so much. YOu can get a single vision pair pretty cheap, so why not. Now when I was telling the optician in that store kind of why, he said that something was wrong, that I wasn't supposed to have to tilt my head at all for the intermediate vision area and to work on the computer, that maybe they weren't fit right.

I don't know. The optician company that fit them seemed to take a lot of time with them (both fit by hand and some machine) in measuring the midpoint, and are well regarded in the area. I do have a warranty for a bit longer so I was thinking of going back to them to complain but am not sure what happens--it's not that close to where I live so is a bit of a trip for me, which is why I ask. I also might be afraid that if I complain and they refit them by centering them differently, maybe there will be something else about them I like less than the way they are now. They are expensive, of course, but I paid a reasonable price for them (around $380 including the Zeiss AR coating, and they are 1.67 index, for the lenses only).

What do you think? Is it normal to have to tilt your head a little for the intermrediate area when you have a +2 add or should I go back? I'm just surprised since Zeiss is touted as being the best for the intermediate area.

thanks
Christina