Thread: Just bought an edger...now need lenses!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Just bought an edger...now need lenses!!!

I just bought my first edger and I need some lenses to get started with!! I'm thinking about stocking just sv plastic and some FT28 to start out with. What are some suggestions as to what powers to stock and where to buy them?
    Last edited by dlongod; 01-10-2006 at 06:58 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Be nice to your patients and check with Vision-eze, they can help with GOOD stock

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Congrats!!!!!!:cheers:
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would stock only 60 or 65mm flat series plus lenses and minus lenses up to a minus 2.00 with a 1.00 cylinder in cr39 material. Anything over this power I would consider stocking either a high index or polycarbonate, with or without AR depending on how much AR you sell.
    I would not stock any flat-tops as they are only available in cr39, plus spherical range to a +3.00 and are way to thick for today's smaller frames. Have them surfaced for a much better cosmetic look.
    Just my thoughts, GOOD LUCK!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By the way, what kind of edger did you buy and why? I'm in the market to upgrade and any information is always welcome.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I bought a used Horizon III. I didn't have a huge budget to work with and I'm only sending out about 5 jobs a day right now (new OD practice), so the Horizon III seemed to be a good match for me. By the way, thanks for all the replies and keep them coming!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by dlongod
    I bought a used Horizon III. I didn't have a huge budget to work with and I'm only sending out about 5 jobs a day right now (new OD practice), so the Horizon III seemed to be a good match for me. By the way, thanks for all the replies and keep them coming!!
    The H3 is a nice edger. Keep a sharp blade or you'll have problems with A/R lenses. Which tracer do you have? The Saturn tracer can be a bear with small B, rectangular shapes. The new 4T is fantastic.

We used this deger for a lot of years. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I just bought my first edger and I need some lenses to get started with!! I'm thinking about stocking just sv plastic and some FT28 to start out with. What are some suggestions as to what powers to stock and where to buy them?
    I stock both CR39 and Poly. I have a huge stock (that I inherited with the position), but if I was starting fresh, I'd do something like this:

CR39 Minus: Pl to -2.50, Cyls out to at least -1.00.
    CR39 Plus: +0.25 to about +2.50 (they won't be pretty above +1.75 or so, but think cheap, quick reading glasses), cyls out to -1.00 or so.
    Poly Minus: Pl to -4.00, Cyls to -1.00 or a bit above.
    Poly Plus: About the same as CR39 above.

If you're tinting in-house, I'd stock up on 3 or 4 extra pairs of plano CR39. Or if you're masochistic, Poly.

My RX ranges may seem high, but having that -3.50 -0.75 poly comes in really handy when the odd GPC patient needs glasses now.

I'm mulling over stocking SV AR lenses also, but since we exclusively use Alize for our single vision AR, it's an expensive proposition. Particularly since I can get almost anything next-day from Nassau Lens. But the convenience of having it on-hand is nice.

I also have an ancient stock of old FT28s that never, ever get used. I mostly use them in calibrating my edger. Only about 800 more to go...

Occupation
    A good sales rep can help you decide on stock, most have been around several years and know what to do.

O.K. I forgot to tell you to stay away from el-cheapo lenses. Get good high quality stock and you'll be much happier

Occupation
    Maybe even check with your lab rep. Sometimes they will put in a consignment stock and you only pay for the lenses you use and reorder. Just remember, you are responsible for the lenses you have on consignment.

Occupation
    Congrats on the edger purchase! I can offer you a great deal on Vivix or Vivix Stainless stock lenses as well as great service and pricing on your uncuts. PM me and I will send you the info. And Jacqui is right...buy good quality lenses. For the few coins extra everyone will be happier.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You say you are only sending out 5 jobs a day, and you have limited funds. How many of those jobs are SV? If you got the edger to improve your service, you don't necessarily need any stock, at this point. You can get stock lenses overnight and that will enable you to provide 1 day service without putting a lot of money into your inventory. Keep track of what you are ordering for a while, and see what you might want to stock. Unnecessary inventory sitting in a drawer is not wise. Don't even think about the flat tops!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

lenses

I have had great luck dealing with LBI in CA. their prices and quality are great 800 423 5175

Ed

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Definately find yourself a good fast lab to handle uncuts. For most of your jobs however, you can use sites like www.lenstock.com to get your finished lenses(if your uncuts lab doesn't handle stock sales).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I agree on the good lab part.

Quote Originally Posted by NXTwoThou
    Definately find yourself a good fast lab to handle uncuts.

Have partnered with these people since 1990. Family Business. Great Work.

Have had great service both in Kansas and Colorado.

http://www.laramyk.com/

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Do you have a name of a good company taht provides stock lenses overnight?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    You say you are only sending out 5 jobs a day, and you have limited funds. How many of those jobs are SV? If you got the edger to improve your service, you don't necessarily need any stock, at this point. You can get stock lenses overnight and that will enable you to provide 1 day service without putting a lot of money into your inventory. Keep track of what you are ordering for a while, and see what you might want to stock. Unnecessary inventory sitting in a drawer is not wise. Don't even think about the flat tops!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte Optician

Thanks!

I use Nassau lens in Caifornia. I am sure that there is someone in your area that can put a pair of stock lenses in a box and ship them over night to you. We have a courier service in California that is very inexpensive.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Being in NH, you may want to try Cunningham Sales in Marlborough, MA, ABB Optical in Pembroke, MA or Nassay Lens in Northvale, NJ. All have overnight service to NH.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte Optician

Thanks!
    I believe Nassau lens has a branch in NY. You could also try TLC (The Lens Connection) which is the stock lens division of Tri-Supreme labs, and JG Optical which is also a stock lens division of Galaxy labs. All in NY.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Do the flat plus lenses look any different as far as thickness goes once edged than a standard CR 39 or polycarb lens? If not, what is the advantage? Is it just easier to bevel and fit into a frame?

Currently, we're getting anything over a +1.50 surfaced instead of going the stock lens route because of thickness issues, especially with frames with a short "B" dimension.

Thanks for your help!

-Steve

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster
    Do the flat plus lenses look any different as far as thickness goes once edged than a standard CR 39 or polycarb lens?
    I think so, especially if you are careful to calculate the minimum blank size...but I've been told that I was wrong. I've seen some flat 60 mm stock CRs and Polys that look fabulous even up to +3.50. They caliper maybe .2mm thicker than a knife edge.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The problem with 60mm blanks is that you run into cutout problems with the combination of a largish frame and smallish PD. 65 is...acceptable up to about +3.00 or +3.50, but most anything higher that that starts to look pretty nasty.

I have plus lenses in CR39 going up to +6.00 (and out to -2.00 cyl), which is entirely excessive, but I inherited this stock--it's nothing that I'm going to rush to reorder. But the few times that I've needed, say, a +4.00 -1.50 in stock has bailed me out in a big way.

If I was starting over fresh, I'd top out at around +2.75 or +3.00 (think readers). As for stock versus surfaced, depending on blank size and cutout I generally start to think surfaced around +3.00.

However, unless they're in a big hurry, if the patient went for AR I'll go surfaced just about every time above +2.50 or +3.00 (and depending on frame and PD, sometimes below). They spent a premium price (we only use Alize for AR) for a nice pair of glasses, and I'm not going to order a twice-as-thick-as-surfaced +4.00 stock lens to save a few bucks. However, Essilor is now supplying Nassau with surprisingly nice aspheric poly/Alize that looks pretty good up to +4.00, even with a 70 blank.

Sheesh, that's complicated. Did that help?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thank you everyone for all of your input. I thought I knew a lot about lenses to begin with but after researching them, I have learned so much more. All of your posts have helped out and again, thanks for all of the replies!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Patience paid off and I got a bunch of good quality CR39, plastic, and Hi-index from an OD closing an office.

Thread Information