Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ophthalmic Techs and Opticians

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ophthalmic Techs and Opticians

Hello,

I am a certified optician who has been working in retail for the past 6 years. I noticed that there is an opening for an ophthalmic tech in my area. This interested me because I want to learn more, specifically in the more medical areas of my profession.

I ask all those who are opticians and all those who are ophthalmic techs what is your opinion? Do you preffer one over the other as far as a job goes? I feel that as an ophthalmic tech, I'd learn a lot, but yet, I do not want to forsake what I do now, as I love being an optician. It's that I want to expand what I know, not replace it, if that makes any sense.

Would being an optician aid me in the tech job? I've emailed plenty of people, but I have yet to hear from an actual tech...

Thanks much!

Alt

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Alteaon
    Hello,

I am a certified optician who has been working in retail for the past 6 years. I noticed that there is an opening for an ophthalmic tech in my area. This interested me because I want to learn more, specifically in the more medical areas of my profession.

I ask all those who are opticians and all those who are ophthalmic techs what is your opinion? Do you preffer one over the other as far as a job goes? I feel that as an ophthalmic tech, I'd learn a lot, but yet, I do not want to forsake what I do now, as I love being an optician. It's that I want to expand what I know, not replace it, if that makes any sense.

Would being an optician aid me in the tech job? I've emailed plenty of people, but I have yet to hear from an actual tech...

Thanks much!

Alt
    It all depends on your job description and duties right now. Our company has an Ophth. tech, who does visual fields, retinal photos, K's for pre-cataract surgery, does pre-exam stuffs for the MD, etc, nothing at all with glasses, contacts or the OD's.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Go For It

Alteaon,

This could be a great career choice for you. It’s been years and things may have changed but here are some thoughts to get you going. There are a few different levels from technician through technologist. The technician level may be obtained by workplace study with a mentoring ophthalmologist. The technologist is trained in a full time academic environment.

A good place to start would be to discuss this career choice with an ophthalmologist or perhaps a visit to a local hospital or medical school. In any case the certifying body is the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (http://www.jcahpo.org/newsite/index.htm. ) And here is one school that offers a COMT program ( http://www.evms.edu/ophthalmology/optech/why-hire.html .) I am sure a web search will bring up tons more.

As a COT or COMT you will be laboring in the medical side of the eyecare vineyard and may not ever touch a pair of glasses or contact lenses although the scope of your duties will vary from practice to practice. Many “techs” will be working in hospital clinical settings and a lot of us will specialize in certain areas such as ophthalmic photography, surgical assisting, orthoptics or any number of specialties. This can be very demanding and interesting work. A lot of techs will teach in medical schools, primarily teaching clinical skills such as tonography, retinoscopy, refraction, perimetry, etc.

Earning can suck just as they sometimes do in opticianry but for the highly skilled individual at a journeyman level $60 K and up a year is not uncommon. Combine a COMT with an MBA and you could be in the catbird seat.

Good luck !
    Last edited by rbaker; 01-10-2006 at 10:41 PM.

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I started on the tech end and then became an Optician. I've found the medical side of my training to be an extremely valuable set of skills. While I very much enjoy both jobs, I'm really starting to think about returning to the tech side.
    Having both my COA and my Optician's license has also opened up the possiblity
    of being a practice administrator for a medical/surgical/optical situation.
    Learn everything you can...either way, two years down the road...you'll be either smarter or two years older

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

COA/Optician

Ideally I would love to see formal education and licensure for both in ALL states. A vision science program could be devised with a basic core curriculum that all students take and the second year would seperate into COT and Optician. A student would have the opportunity to obtain degrees in both in 3 years.
    Continuing education courses of a technical nature should be applicable to both professions w/o extensive application processes...NCLE contact lens CEs should be COT acceptable. COT anatomy courses should be acceptable for ABO and or NCLE as well. Practice management CEs should be universally acceptableas well

Ed

Occupation
    Ed,

I do not believe that the best interests of anyone would be served by combining the curriculum of these two fields. The ophthalmic medical assisting field has been well served by the present educational paradigm for many years now. COT’s COTA’s and COMT’s enjoy credentialing on the National level along with a single set of educational and certifying regulations.

Primarily though, the emphasis of the COT’s COTA’s and COMT’s training and practice is medical while the emphasis of the optician is retail sales. Unfortunately, I found very few opticians who had the educational background to successfully complete even the most basic levels of certification.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At my last job I was a Tech, and I learned so much! I learned how to refract, I learned RGP fitting, and a whole lot about ocular disease. However, at that office, I also did frame styling and dispensing.

I also did intakes and Keratometry, CL trainings, hell I did EVERYTHING at that office.
    Thats why I left...
    So now I am an optician, but I really REALLY miss the medical side of it. I think you would enjoy it.

I personally wish that I could go somewhere and just fit CLs all day.... That was my favorite part.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    As an ABO and a COA, I advise learning both sides if you are looking for a job change anyway. Most places would like to have the knowleadge a optician brings, over having to train someone from scratch. I must say though the fields do not have a lot in common except the anatomy. I find both sides challanging and fun. I have worked in labs, dispensaries; now I do procedures and surgeries while scribing in the rooms with an MD.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opticians vs techs

An optician fully licensed and certified ...AAS program has most of the basic skills of an ophthalmic tech.
    Slit lamp and keratometry are taught as part of contact lens fitting
    Refraction is taught as part of the curriculum...9 ABO/NCLE approved CEUs/typically 4 college credits
    Refraction 2 is not a college course but instead a 9 ABO/NCLE CEU course
    This includes retinoscopy and phoropter instruction and practice on top of the theory of refraction.
    Anatomy and Physiology learned in a formal situation goes into much greater depth than OJT which barely scratches the surface of ocular anatomy

The biggest problem is the bottom line at the doctor's office. A dispensing optician with formal education can do 95% of what a tech can do with little extra training. The doc would rather hire someone at a lower wage to someone who does the basics when they ask for a raise because they know more than they did they are shown the door and replaced

Ed

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Optician
    Ideally I would love to see formal education and licensure for both in ALL states. A vision science program could be devised with a basic core curriculum that all students take and the second year would seperate into COT and Optician. A student would have the opportunity to obtain degrees in both in 3 years.
    Continuing education courses of a technical nature should be applicable to both professions w/o extensive application processes...NCLE contact lens CEs should be COT acceptable. COT anatomy courses should be acceptable for ABO and or NCLE as well. Practice management CEs should be universally acceptableas well

Ed
    Me too!
    sharon

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    additionally,

Opticianry is an academic profession,oph.tech is not,it is similar to office assistant but at different levels e.g.COA,COT,COMT.

In opticianry u r ur own boss, tech have to work under supervision of MD's

If you can, have both.

Occupation
    Graduate said:

“Opticianry is an academic profession,oph.tech is not,it is similar to office assistant but at different levels e.g.COA,COT,COMT.”

I must disagree with this statement. Since less than one fifth of one percent of those practicing or claiming to be “opticians” have completed anything like a formal degree granting education it’s quite ludicrous to claim “professional” status, unless its in your own mind.

In order to be a COA, COT or COMT you must be certified by the Joint Commission for Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO.) A visit to their web site at www. jcahpo.org give you all of the info you need to understand the various levels of practice. Certified ophthalmic medical technologists (COMTS) have become widely used in the ophthalmic medical practice and, therefore, persons with this certification are in great demand. There are approximately twenty thousand board certified ophthalmologists in the United States, while the Joint Commission for Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO) lists the number of active COMTs in the United States as approximately seven hundred.

Emory University’s entrance requirements to their COMT program are fairly typical:

Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree earned at a satisfactory level of achievement from an accredited institution (or, for foreign students, completion of equivalent study). A major in science with a background in biology or physics is preferred. Non science major applicants will be considered if they have demonstrated an aptitude in the required courses. The following courses are strongly suggested of all applicants: biology, six semester hours; physics, six semester hours; chemistry, three semester hours; statistics, three semester hours; and general psychology, three semester hours. In addition, these courses are recommended and preferred within three years of matriculation: optics, three semester hours; anatomy, three semester hours with lab; physiology, three semester hours with lab.

Now, admittedly, you may encounter some individuals working in ophthalmology practices who call themselves COA, COT or COMTs but do not have proper credentials. Hmmm . . . in that sense its sort of like opticianry, ain’t it.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    As a past manager of opticals payroll is always an issue. If a state says one LDO has to be in the store. You get enough to always have one on the floor and train the rest. In this field, in order to do 95% of the job well, it just takes someone willing to learn. Advanced education is a great thing, something I do myself, but if everyone was an LDO plus a doc salary glasses would cost twice as much.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    Graduate said:

“Opticianry is an academic profession,oph.tech is not,it is similar to office assistant but at different levels e.g.COA,COT,COMT.”

I must disagree with this statement. Since less than one fifth of one percent of those practicing or claiming to be “opticians” have completed anything like a formal degree granting education it’s quite ludicrous to claim “professional” status, unless its in your own mind.

In order to be a COA, COT or COMT you must be certified by the Joint Commission for Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO.) A visit to their web site at www. jcahpo.org give you all of the info you need to understand the various levels of practice. Certified ophthalmic medical technologists (COMTS) have become widely used in the ophthalmic medical practice and, therefore, persons with this certification are in great demand. There are approximately twenty thousand board certified ophthalmologists in the United States, while the Joint Commission for Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO) lists the number of active COMTs in the United States as approximately seven hundred.

Emory University’s entrance requirements to their COMT program are fairly typical:

Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree earned at a satisfactory level of achievement from an accredited institution (or, for foreign students, completion of equivalent study). A major in science with a background in biology or physics is preferred. Non science major applicants will be considered if they have demonstrated an aptitude in the required courses. The following courses are strongly suggested of all applicants: biology, six semester hours; physics, six semester hours; chemistry, three semester hours; statistics, three semester hours; and general psychology, three semester hours. In addition, these courses are recommended and preferred within three years of matriculation: optics, three semester hours; anatomy, three semester hours with lab; physiology, three semester hours with lab.

Now, admittedly, you may encounter some individuals working in ophthalmology practices who call themselves COA, COT or COMTs but do not have proper credentials. Hmmm . . . in that sense its sort of like opticianry, ain’t it.
    rbaker let me tell you about myself.

I joined an Eye Associates as receptionist, attended AAO correspondence course on ophthalmic assisting and passed certification exam just in 7 months.Additional signatures from my MD plus skill evaluation and pencil paper booklet and i recieved JCAHPO technician certification in another 6 months, really no brain used.

i am working to gain associate of science in opticianry, i find going really tough.
    I now understand real opticians,not those illegimate, are academics,professional.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    hi my name is gilberto montano, ABOC,COT,CRA
    i've been an optician for 19 yrs. but 6 years ago i switched to opht. tech.
    having been a certified optician for so many year really helped me undestand the opht. tech's role.
    i prefer opht. tech over optician because is more medical than retail and the hours our great. no week-nights. no weekends.
    my salary as an optician topped 40k yearly with bonus as store manager.
    as an ophth tech., i've earned up to 75k yearly.
    i became a certified ophthalmic tech first then specialized as a retinal angiographer.
    i still love ophthalmic opitcs and carry it in my blood but optical has become like car dealeships.

tks,

gil
    tks

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

This question is for Graduate and Medical Retina

Graduate, How did you get around JCAHPO's Guidelines of a COA cnaidate having to work in an office for 12 months before sitting for the exam and COT after another 12 months? This is not a question to catch you in something I would just like to know. I know that a COOA? in optomotry assisiting is shorter than an MD, but you work for an MD, Right?

Medical retina, What type for practice do you work for and what do you do. Here in Alabama MD's, OD and chains pay about the same for ABO or COA, BAD.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by ecsoptical
    Graduate, How did you get around JCAHPO's Guidelines of a COA cnaidate having to work in an office for 12 months before sitting for the exam and COT after another 12 months? This is not a question to catch you in something I would just like to know. I know that a COOA? in optomotry assisiting is shorter than an MD, but you work for an MD, Right?

Medical retina, What type for practice do you work for and what do you do. Here in Alabama MD's, OD and chains pay about the same for ABO or COA, BAD.
    Yes I have been working for 2 yrs but the start time from first AAO COA correspodence course to tech certification was under 13 month.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    What it the AAO or JCAHPO?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by medicalretina
    hi my name is gilberto montano, ABOC,COT,CRA
    i've been an optician for 19 yrs. but 6 years ago i switched to opht. tech.
    having been a certified optician for so many year really helped me undestand the opht. tech's role.
    i prefer opht. tech over optician because is more medical than retail and the hours our great. no week-nights. no weekends.
    my salary as an optician topped 40k yearly with bonus as store manager.
    as an ophth tech., i've earned up to 75k yearly.
    i became a certified ophthalmic tech first then specialized as a retinal angiographer.
    i still love ophthalmic opitcs and carry it in my blood but optical has become like car dealeships.

tks,

gil
    tks
    You are happy with your personal choice since you like medical setting, but have to work for some one all your life,you can never be on your own-independent.Fine for you.

Can you please guide on how to become CRA. Thanks!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    you are correct i love the medical setting and being able to assist my patients and md's.
    i love to refract and be able to help people see better.
    i love to do retinal angiograms and be able to interpret retinal problems for my dr. to treat my patients.
    and you are correct, i can't do this without a dr. on the premises but i would not change my skills for the world.
    i'm like my dr.'s P.A.

gil

Occupation
    Graduate – Many individuals do not see working for themselves as the be all and end all of life. Many, in fact, realize that under given situations it can be a poor social/economic decision. In the past thirty years we have seen much of the health care business shift from individual practice to group practices and the successful individual practitioner (excluding perhaps optometry) is somewhat of a rarity these days. While it is true that all medical ancillary personnel are required to work under a physician or medical practice it is a decision that an individual makes with their eyes wide open. You do not go into nursing to open up a business. The security and compensation that many ancillary health personnel receive can be the best deal in town. I know a few COTA’s working in State Medical School/Teaching Hospitals that are being compensated at about a hundred K a year and who will retire in thirty years with that wonderful eight percent State pension.

That being said, and referring to medicalretina’s great analogy – you might make more money being the owner of the car lot than the salesman.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by medicalretina
    you are correct i love the medical setting and being able to assist my patients and md's.
    i love to refract and be able to help people see better.
    i love to do retinal angiograms and be able to interpret retinal problems for my dr. to treat my patients.
    and you are correct, i can't do this without a dr. on the premises but i would not change my skills for the world.
    i'm like my dr.'s P.A.

gil
    also i love what you love, but I will gain inner relief when i will achieve AS in opticianry,knowing i have a succeded in a science profession.
    but i will continue working as oph tech as i love my job.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    Graduate – Many individuals do not see working for themselves as the be all and end all of life. Many, in fact, realize that under given situations it can be a poor social/economic decision. In the past thirty years we have seen much of the health care business shift from individual practice to group practices and the successful individual practitioner (excluding perhaps optometry) is somewhat of a rarity these days. While it is true that all medical ancillary personnel are required to work under a physician or medical practice it is a decision that an individual makes with their eyes wide open. You do not go into nursing to open up a business. The security and compensation that many ancillary health personnel receive can be the best deal in town. I know a few COTA’s working in State Medical School/Teaching Hospitals that are being compensated at about a hundred K a year and who will retire in thirty years with that wonderful eight percent State pension.

That being said, and referring to medicalretina’s great analogy – you might make more money being the owner of the car lot than the salesman.
    I do agree with your statement. You stick where you are happy.

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

COT or LDO

There are COT and COMT programs just as there are programs of Opticianry. As an Optician you are able to become your own boss and actually practice a profession. A licensed optician as an independent practitioner can fit eyeglasses, contact lenses and any low vision device. As a ophthalmic technician you are an allied health professional and you actually do not practice anything but perform important preliminary tasks. You cannot do anything unless directed by the MD.

Recently, thing had been calm in the Ophthalmic Assisting profession but the California Medical Board recently declared that Ophthalmic technicians cannot perform subjective testing of any kind which includes refractometry. Refractometry is the key role of an Ophthalmic tech. The retina tech usually does not perform any refraction and concentrates in the purely medical aspects of ophthalmology. The certified Retinal angiographer is key to a well earned income because just alone the COT is not enough for you to earn 70 k. If you are into management that is another story as COT.

In todays Opticianry programs training has become more oriented towards catering to MDs practices so Opticians training will become very similar to a COT. Many Opticianry programs do refraction as well as slit lamp examination, tonometry and motility testing , some even get into ophthalmic photography.

Ophthalmic assisting may be in the future in trouble because what has happened in California. It only takes one state for others to follow. Ophthalmic assisting may feel the heat coming from the ODs.

Interesting dont you find it?

Dannyboy

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation

Wave

it's all a matter of opinion, danny boy.

gil
    Last edited by medicalretina; 01-15-2006 at 07:31 PM.

Thread Information