Thread: changes since cole is now luxotica

OptiBoard Novice

changes since cole is now luxotica

Has anyone seen any major changes besides benefits since Lux has officially taken over. I am hearing rumblings of closings of pearles and have seen specific information that would reduce hours available for scheduling to employees. Is anyone else hearing of this? In past posts i have seen that some stores have let their leases expire? just curious. THanks, B.O.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sure everything is just peachy.;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down Eyemed

Since the merge with colevision, eyemed reimbursement has gone south. Sooner or later you will paying eyemed for the patient they referred to your office

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With in 1/2 mile we have a Sears and a Pearle with in 1000 feet of each other. The Pearle gave up surfacing within during restructure a 1 and 1/2 years ago and offers different product than Sears. Are we talking apples to apples or apples to oranges. Thoughts?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The Sears here (through what the manager has said) has gone nuts. They had troubles before, but now when they put a frame on the board it is disco'd before it can collect dust.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have heard through a friend that Sears Optical, Target Optical , and BJ'S Optical are having lots of issues with discontinued frames largely due to the new computer system they are switching over to from their antequated one when they were Cole.I hear news from time to time of closings of stores or cutting hours here and there, but has anyone heard any rumors or news whatsoever on BJ's Optical? They are a huge competitor for the chain I work for and was just wondering?

BigT
    :cheers:

OptiBoard Novice

changes are here

Well, now it has hit. Under the new luxotica store hours/hours available to employees model, our hours are being cut. It is based on money taken in over the past weeks, and then you use a scale to determine the hours available to your employees. It is different from cole as the hours as some other stores are wondering how anyone except the manager will get hours. It has some wondering what the future holds as our lease is up at the end of the year, couple that with word that our lab will stop producing jobs entirely and order from lc.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    Where have you been?
    It's alright we know where you've been.
    You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
    Provided with toys and 'Scouting for Boys'.
    You bought a guitar to punish your ma,
    And you didn't like school, and you
    know you're nobody's fool,
    So welcome to the machine.

What did you dream?
    It's alright we told you what to dream.
    You dreamed of a big star,
    He played a mean guitar,
    He always ate in the Steak Bar.
    He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
    So welcome to the Machine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you say our lab what lab are you referring to and will this effect BJ's.Will BJ's totally use Lenscrafters from now on and starting when?When is the new hours starting and is it only affecting stores like Sears and Target? I have a friend who works for a BJ's as a GM and she is concerned of hours being cut. Her associate optician would get hrs cut but threatened to quit .They also changed benefits from fulltime being 30 hrs to 35 so if the hrs get cut too much then so will the benefits as well.She said they must keep 2 people at 40 so when other stores need help they can help out but will probably be 35 hrs but if needed somewhere can flex up to 40.I told her the same thing is going on at my optical where I work at as competitor to BJ's Optical.You work alone most of the time.Any hrs cut will not be the managers hrs but instead the associate opticians.The associate will probably will quit on you and then your stuck working overtime unless they will change that and start salaring Luxottica Licensed Brands Managers at Sears,Target,and BJs.She also told me all the Luxottica Licensed Brands lately are carrying discontinued product and many they cant even enter into their antequated R.I.S. system.She is also worried though I am happy that BJ's prices may go up.Their pricing is not the lowest as is suppose to happen with the Lux Brands.For example , she said that Sears is now having a sale that is lower than BJs everyday wholesale prices and even lower than January Employee Discount Sale going on right now with the same frame and same lenses as Sears.She doesnt understand the tier pricing thing since BJ's is always suppose to be the lowest on the Lux Brand price tier.Gee a mess up somewhere? Hmmmm. They also are not getting replensished for some ungodly reason on contact lenses and accessories .That in addition to the frames they are receiving that are not even theirs or that cant even be entered into their antequanted RIS system, I told her alll I know as my Dr. told me at our last meeting is that we are very glad we have the Patriot System in place.If you hear any news or anthing to enlighten my staff here let me know.

Big Ted in Tampa
    Last edited by Florida Specs; 01-11-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Discontinued ......................

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    ...............................but now when they put a frame on the board it is disco'd before it can collect dust.
    For-Life....................don't you know that a frame company owned store is the most perfect and natural place to sell discontinued or near discontinued frames instead of throwing them into the garbage ?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Brilliant, Chris (and Luxottica)!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Is this done to a rap song beat? Or heavy metal?
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Where have you been?
    It's alright we know where you've been.
    You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
    Provided with toys and 'Scouting for Boys'.
    You bought a guitar to punish your ma,
    And you didn't like school, and you
    know you're nobody's fool,
    So welcome to the machine.

What did you dream?
    It's alright we told you what to dream.
    You dreamed of a big star,
    He played a mean guitar,
    He always ate in the Steak Bar.
    He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
    So welcome to the Machine.

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by roxysmom
    Is this done to a rap song beat? Or heavy metal?
    Pink Floyd.......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman
    With in 1/2 mile we have a Sears and a Pearle with in 1000 feet of each other. The Pearle gave up surfacing within during restructure a 1 and 1/2 years ago and offers different product than Sears. Are we talking apples to apples or apples to oranges. Thoughts?

Same thing here. Why would you keep three stores all within a 1000 feet of each other? Here we have a Sears, Pearl and LC all within a 1000 feet of each other. From what I have heard Sears is being used as the step child. They are unloading from what I hear all there junk frames and also trying to make money.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    For-Life....................don't you know that a frame company owned store is the most perfect and natural place to sell discontinued or near discontinued frames instead of throwing them into the garbage ?
    yes, but they are not Lux frames.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why don't our frame companies?

We all have E. Mail, it's free and fast. Why don't the more "reputable" frame companies send an E. Mail to all thier accounts (they only have to type it once, an click one button to send to all acounts) a list when each frame is discontinued or about to be discontinued? Would save us and thier reps a heck of a lot of time working the boards. Also save us from having that frame that didn't get found when the rep was in shooting the bull for so many visits that it can't be returned.

Chip

A list of BO stuff wouldn't hurt either.
    Possibly even an on line place where we could look for available alternative temples that fit, parts in stock etc. would probably be an improvement on Yolanda who just doesn't want to check on things today.

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    We all have E. Mail, it's free and fast. Why don't the more "reputable" frame companies send an E. Mail to all thier accounts (they only have to type it once, an click one button to send to all acounts) a list when each frame is discontinued or about to be discontinued? Would save us and thier reps a heck of a lot of time working the boards. Also save us from having that frame that didn't get found when the rep was in shooting the bull for so many visits that it can't be returned.

Chip

Possibly even an on line place where we could look for available alternative temples that fit, parts in stock etc. would probably be an improvement on Yolanda who just doesn't want to check on things today.
    That is a good point Chip!

I can do this but it does take some time. When I see a customer I give then the info to copy! I also go through catologs and mark the frames on the way out!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson

Chip

Easy. Why would you want to process hundreds or thousands of returns on the corporate level when you can have an independent contractor "frame rep" go take care of it for you? Plus, even after something is discontinued, it might sell off someone's board before the rep can swing by--which means one less return to process, one less credit to issue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For Life : Yes they are Luxottica frames and my friend at BJs said she is getting nothing but Luxottica though all discountinued.There was suppose to be a recall in one of their last inventories but Lux changed their minds.Most of Sears , Target, and BJs frames at the moment are not nonLux but discont LUX.

Big Ted

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Specs
    For Life : Yes they are Luxottica frames and my friend at BJs said she is getting nothing but Luxottica though all discountinued.There was suppose to be a recall in one of their last inventories but Lux changed their minds.Most of Sears , Target, and BJs frames at the moment are not nonLux but discont LUX.

Big Ted
    lol

The Sears store manager I was talking to said they were not Luxottica frames. Now I understand that may be different at that store, but at this store this is the way it is.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    Same thing here. Why would you keep three stores all within a 1000 feet of each other? Here we have a Sears, Pearl and LC all within a 1000 feet of each other. From what I have heard Sears is being used as the step child. They are unloading from what I hear all there junk frames and also trying to make money.
    Then, it's a step up for Cole employees?

I'm laughing, because Luxottica obviously didn't value the lower-end nature of the Cole retail empire. I credit them for that!

Seriously, BJ's, Sears customers, what do you expect? Disco Lux frames may be the coolest thing that's happened to their inventories in a long time. As long as Lux is decent about it's warranty/return/breakage policies on these frames, it's a cool "bargain basement" concept.

The positioning is pretty clear:
    1.) Lenscrafters is the king outlet
    2.) Pearle is the "private practice" surrogate outlet
    3.) Whatever independent retail outlets they can keep
    4.) Sears, BJ's, Target are bargain outlets (which may be converted to free-standing Lenscrafters sans-lab stores, someday, if the sales and demographics are right.)
    Last edited by drk; 01-12-2006 at 10:49 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who needs a rep?

It really doens't make any diff. if they stand behind the prodcut or not. At 2 for $xx, nobody really expects a lot of service, and although I hate to admit it, just becasue it's disco doesn't reduce the quality of it.

So what's next for independents? Go to Sear and BJ's to buy your stocok instead of waiting around for your rep that will charge you a lot more ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It just goes to show that some Sears stores get one thing others get another as well as BJs I guess. My friend who works as a Manager for BJs says that alot of BJs dont even have an eye dr that they have to refer out. What is with that? I never knew that they dont perform exams as well.I mean at Costco and Sams each has an independent Optometrist doing exams.Hey more for us......

Big Ted

Thread Information