Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wave Front Technology

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Wave Front Technology

I just heard that Essilor is working on a new PAL that uses wave front technology. Has anyone else heard anything about it??

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

New Lens.............

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    I just heard that Essilor is working on a new PAL that uses wave front technology. Has anyone else heard anything about it??
    I believe there was a post last week by Pete that they were coming out with a new revolutionary new lens thsi month.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My lab is calling me back later today with specifics. I'll post what I find out.

What I know so far: Poly/1.67 only, only with Alize. Status on this is somewhat unconfirmed. I've also heard rumbles of a new Alize, from another source than just Pete on Optiboard. And the source is someone in a position to know.

The only other thing I've heard is that 8 base is going to be available.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by spartus
    My lab is calling me back later today with specifics. I'll post what I find out.

What I know so far: Poly/1.67 only, only with Alize. Status on this is somewhat unconfirmed. I've also heard rumbles of a new Alize, from another source than just Pete on Optiboard. And the source is someone in a position to know.

The only other thing I've heard is that 8 base is going to be available.
    Varilux Physio and Physio 360 will utilize WAVE Front Technology.

Poly, Poly Transitions Gray/Brown.
    1.67, and 1.67 Transitions Gray/Brown.

The Physio 360 will come with the new Crizal Alize w/ Clear Guard. CACG has a coating that elimintes static from building on the lens. This static is what attracks particles (dust) to the lens.

I will wait for Pete to fill you all in on benefits, hows, and whos of WAVE technology on the Physio lenses. I was at the pool during that presentation.

Adam

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If you've got access to Visionweb, the materials and coatings available are now listed. Looks like only the 360 comes with Alize with Clear Guard.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by spartus
    If you've got access to Visionweb, the materials and coatings available are now listed. Looks like only the 360 comes with Alize with Clear Guard.
    Correct. Crizal Alize' with Clear Guard only on Physio 360 for 2-3 months. Then released slowly.

Check out http://www.varilux.com/ for more info on Physio and WAVE technology. I would imagine anything else you learn about this lens will be a cut and paste of this website with a few more adjectives added here and there.

Adam

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we coverered wavefront spectacle lenses in another thread, and noone could explain what hapened when the user looked off axis (considering the lens surface is mapped to the patients cornea)

Bad address email on file rhondaboman's Avatar
    Occupation

Take note

If you take a look at the link and scan the availability chart, most will be happy to see that there is a 400add available. The actual range is .75 to 3.50, (no 3.75). The 400 add is a nice bonus.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO
    we coverered wavefront spectacle lenses in another thread, and noone could explain what hapened when the user looked off axis (considering the lens surface is mapped to the patients cornea)
    The lens won't reduce the wavefront aberration of the actual eye, but rather some of the high-order aberrations produced by the lens, itself.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Physio

Hi, I don't usually chime in but as an optician and a sales rep I am pretty jazzed about this new Physio design. Some of the information that I recieved at the meeting was:
    Wavefront technology (WFT)applied to the lens does eliminate or minimize the higher order abberations present in all (even very good designed) progressives. Using Physio and Physio 360 the increase in sharp vision is present in each gaze direction. In the distance the WFT decreases coma, which is an abberation that distorts objects. The intermediate is enhanced by managing the axis of the unwanted astigmatism. They found that vertically aligned "junk" is tolerated more readily,(the result is a 30 percent wider intermediate) The Near is aided by improving the balance and access by extending the feild of view. It also increases contrast sensitivity by decreasing those pesky abberations that happen in low light conditions.

Physio is available two ways,
    Standard Physio- Front surface WFT only
    Physio 360 - WFT optomized front and back surface with direct digital surfacing (free form) only with the new Clear Gaurd Crizal Alize.

The demos we saw with Clear Gaurd were just amazing. You must ask your rep to show you the lenses. I promise you will be wowed.

They tested the lens on over 2000 wearers and had great results even when they put it up against VCom, and VPan, 2 out of 3 of them liked Physio better.

I think it will be a big innovation for everyone in the market, ECP and patient alike.

Hope this was helpful

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    The lens won't reduce the wavefront aberration of the actual eye, but rather some of the high-order aberrations produced by the lens, itself.
    Unfortunately, I'll bet that a great many dispensers will jump on the lens, believing and promoting it as a way to correct a patient's HOA and the bonus is you don't need even need an expensive aberrometer in the office.

I did a brief search, but could not find any literature on HOA's induced by spectacle lenses. Does anyone know of a study? With progressives, isn't the distortion in the lens lower order, i.e., induced cylinder?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    excuse my laziness. Its too early here. So the wavefront is to do with the lens abberation, not the particular corneal abberation. There was a thread a few months ago about a company doing spec and contact lenses based on corneal wavefront technology. thier site had lots of long words on it, but was low in real details, and neevr explained what happened off axis. BTW whats the acronym HOA stand for?

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

WAVE FRONT? One the front cast or split

I am not sure I understand the concept of the marketing behind this new lens. It sounds like a non spherical surface is used to take away aberrations of within the lens. This is cast on the front in the Phiysio and the back is spherically surfaced.

Then there is the Phiysio 360 which sounds like a non-spherical front combined with a non-spherical back surface. Two freeform surfaces. There maybe a very few limited lens designs where this dual non-spherical surface has some limited advantage, but I think the main reason Essilor is using dual non-spherical surfaces for this new 360 might have something to do with a worldwide patent that covers a spherical front surface with a progressive design on the backside.

The spherical front has surface and PAL on the backside has many advantages including great looking mounting of the lens without any protruding surface where the frame has to be distored beyond recognition.

I would like to know more about the true optical benefits of this new design and how the cast front with spherical backs surface and the 360 are remotely related other than in name.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I did a brief search, but could not find any literature on HOA's induced by spectacle lenses. Does anyone know of a study?
    Progressive lenses represent a special case of higher order aberrations since the surface changes in curvature, creating a variable astigmatic focus. For instance, the change in power across the surface can produce a "coma"-like aberration, sometimes referred to as intrinsic coma. I describe the coma-like effect in the Prgressive Umbilic section of this article on the optics of progressive lenses, which may help you understand some of the issues involved. These aberrations can be determined using ray tracing. The coma effect can be reduced by minimizing the change in power across the lens surface and/or by increasing the length of the progressive corridor.

I'm sure that Pete, our resident Essilor guy, can chime in with the specifics as they apply to the new Varilux lens though.

With progressives, isn't the distortion in the lens lower order, i.e., induced cylinder?
    Yes, unwanted astigmatism and mean power error, which are essentially the "low" order aberrations that act like spherical and cylindrical prescription errors, are more important than the higher order aberrations. Generally, higher order aberrations can marginally contribute to the low order aberrations, but the low order aberrations must be reduced quite a bit for this to matter. That is to say, if you have, for instance, 1.00 D of unwanted astigmatism, your vision will still be blurred with or without any coma or other higher order aberrations. Consequently, Essilor will probably discuss the reduction of these aberrations in the central viewing zones of the lens, where unwanted astigmatism is kept to a minimum (of course, I suspect that these regions will already have less intrinsic coma since there power is more or less stabilized).
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    BTW whats the acronym HOA stand for?
    High-Order Aberration.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Information we found was that the Physio 360 front surfaces are cast in moulds cut by Free Form (digitally surfaced) as are what we get as a semi-finish lens. Both sides of the lenses are not cut at the time of the order ,the back surface is processed with Free Form which is what will separate the Physio 360 from the Physio processed at the wholesale level.

Is this correct?

Bad address email on file rhondaboman's Avatar
    Occupation
    That is correct.

The 360 Digital Surfacing is designed to match the front surface. The Physio 360 is processed using Alize w/Clear Guard, which is and anti-reflective & anti-static. Physio with spherical surfacing is available with or without AR.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Information we found was that the Physio 360 front surfaces are cast in moulds cut by Free Form (digitally surfaced) as are what we get as a semi-finish lens
    All progressive lens molds are made that way. ;)
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Call me a skeptic. I really, really have a hard time believing that this will add more than 1% improvement in patient vision, real world.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    High-Order Aberration.
    thanks. we use different acronyms over here. aparantly BVD - Back Vertex Distance - means something else over your side of the pond

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    All progressive lens molds are made that way. ;)
    I agree with that statement. However, that was not exactly what I was asking for clarification on. The misconception that our customers have is that a Physio 360 lens, the front progressive design is also Free Form surfaced (not cast) as well as the rear surface.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    Just for the record, this same point was discussed on another recent thread; see:
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...5&postcount=11

What happens when optical science and software engineering collide? VirtualOptician™. You may have seen the liftoff - but did you see the landing?

Once you get your feet wet...
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rhondaboman
    That is correct.

The 360 Digital Surfacing is designed to match the front surface. The Physio 360 is processed using Alize w/Clear Guard, which is and anti-reflective & anti-static. Physio with spherical surfacing is available with or without AR.

It is really interesting that Essilor will hold people captive by only offering their "new" ar on the most expensive lenses they make. If you do a little research, the "new" anti-static claim is old news as others have had anti-static ar for years. Funny how Essilor needed a new gimmick and chose something that others have been giving for a while. For my ar, I choose a product that is continually updated as new information comes from the research team. No one should ever have to wait for a marketing department to determine what make a better product; a "new" gimmick to market and charge more for.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by jrctx
    It is really interesting that Essilor will hold people captive by only offering their "new" ar on the most expensive lenses they make. If you do a little research, the "new" anti-static claim is old news as others have had anti-static ar for years. Funny how Essilor needed a new gimmick and chose something that others have been giving for a while. For my ar, I choose a product that is continually updated as new information comes from the research team. No one should ever have to wait for a marketing department to determine what make a better product; a "new" gimmick to market and charge more for.
    Right now Essilor is offering the Alize with Clear Guard in Canada on all surfaced lenses. Now, anti-static is old news. Chris has a product that is anti-static, UTMC is anti-static, but the Alize was NOT anti-static. Now retailers can add the anti-static feature for approximately $0.00USD and $0.00CND. I think it also works out to 0.00000 Yen too.

Looking at values and costs. The company is now giving a better value for the same cost. Is it a great, unbelievable change? No, but it will kept dust off the lenses (which I notice on mine without Clear Guard), which should keep the lenses with less scratches longer, and thus NOT COST ANYMORE to do.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Correction..................

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Right now Essilor is offering the Alize with Clear Guard in Canada on all surfaced lenses. Now, anti-static is old news. Chris has a product that is anti-static, UTMC is anti-static, but the Alize was NOT anti-static. Now retailers can add the anti-static feature for approximately $0.00USD and $0.00CND. I think it also works out to 0.00000 Yen too.
    For-Life, Forgive me.......but I have to correct you.................I also have anti-fog included in the same product which nobody else has yet. :)

I just posted an offer for a free trial on the Marketplace a few minutes ago.

Thread Information