Thread: Optometry and VSP

Luzerne Optical Laboratories
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optometry and VSP

I was always under the impression that VSP offered vision plans that could only have Optometrists as providers, not Opticians or Ophthalmologists. If this is correct why would an MD office dispensary be a provider for VSP? If this is not correct, can opticians be providers?

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Just a thought. . .

As I understand it in order to be a VSP provider an OD has to own 51% of the dispensary. I also know that there are some back door agreements and paperwork concerning who owns what in order to be able to take VSP. I know of 1 MD practice and 2 Optician owned where the rules have been bent.

It could be that this is the kind of case you're asking about or they might have legitimately given 51% control to one of the OD's spinning dials for them. I don't know that there are any rules about who has to own the practice, but maybe one of the Docs can give us better information.

I hope you're all having fun and making money!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryR
    I was always under the impression that VSP offered vision plans that could only have Optometrists as providers, not Opticians or Ophthalmologists. If this is correct why would an MD office dispensary be a provider for VSP? If this is not correct, can opticians be providers?
    For any office to be a VSP provider there must be an OD or MD with a dispensary, that they own at least 51% of. You've got to remember that VSP was a grass roots project started by optometrists, for optometrists. It started out small then it went "big time"

An OMD would want to participate because it brings in the primary care patient. It can provide a good base to build anyone's practice.

An independant optician would not be able to be a provider, unless an OD or MD were 51% owners.

I didn't make the rules. I'm just stating them because JerryR asked the question. Please hold all rants.:finger:

Luzerne Optical Laboratories
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I understand fjpod correctly, an MD owned dispensary can be a VSP provider as well as an OD owned dispensary. I was always under the impression VSP was developed by OD's for OD's, that MD's and opticians were excluded from being providers. I guess this has changed, Vsp is probably responding to the proliferation of MD dispensaries and doesn't want to lose that business.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vsp

VSP wants to keep their OD's poor too.

Do all that work for a $35.00 Dispensing fee plus your $35 to $45 dollar exam fee. Wow :drop:
    Last edited by Matthew; 01-09-2006 at 08:32 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryR
    If I understand fjpod correctly, an MD owned dispensary can be a VSP provider as well as an OD owned dispensary. I was always under the impression VSP was developed by OD's for OD's, that MD's and opticians were excluded from being providers. I guess this has changed, Vsp is probably responding to the proliferation of MD dispensaries and doesn't want to lose that business.
    That is correct. MDs with a dispensary can be providers. I'm not sure why VSP did this. As for the exam fee, it's in the 50 to 60 range.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exam fee

The exam fees vary per area. In my locality Intermediate is $35 Comprehensive is $45. :drop:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    That is correct. MDs with a dispensary can be providers. I'm not sure why VSP did this. As for the exam fee, it's in the 50 to 60 range.
    Some MD with a dispensary probably "convinced" VSP to not discriminate. I think it was also a good sales ploy to be able to tell the groups that we have "real docs" on the panel... As for exam fees, don't get me started (mine is $160 for a new pt comprehensive, and I haven't raised it in over 5 years).

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    VSP has some sort of LASIK program (I think it is just a discount) For laser surgery you need MDs on the panel

Harry

Thread Information