Thread: Strange but true

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Strange but true

Budgie wins cross-stitching award

A three-year-old budge has been named Young Cross-Stitcher of the Year.

Spike picked up the Cross-Stitcher magazine award after picking up the habit from owner Sandra Battye.

Sandra, 31, of Stevenage, Herts, who nursed Spike back to health after a food allergy almost killed her, said: "She would sit on my shoulder and watch me for hours.

"One day I just sat and didn't stitch. It seemed to frustrate her. Then suddenly she picked up the needle in her beak and began cross-stitching herself. I was staggered. Now I can't stop her.

"She still gets a bit confused at how the patterns work but she is very good at pulling and pushing the needle through the fabric."

Cross-Stitcher magazine editor Cathy Lewis said: "We were amazed by the photos of Spike."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ski-through loo offers relief on the piste

Skiers who get caught short on the slopes can keep their skis on following the invention of a new 'ski-through loo'.

The toilet, created by Austrian ski lift operator Johann Berger, 55, from St Jakob in Styria allows users to ski directly into the cubicle, before skiing out the other side back onto the slopes.

"It's based on the drive-through concept, but with skis," explained Berger. "We've laid down a special low friction carpet and implemented a one-way system to avoid collisions."

He added: "The toilet was originally meant for children. Every ski instructor is well aware of the problem; 10 minutes after the lesson begins 17 out of 20 children need to go to the toilet.

"This will help solve the problem a lot faster, and is also ideal for adults too."

Berger says the 'ski-through loo' is the first toilet designed for use while wearing skis and hopes the system will take off around the country.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Ski thru Loo

So no more yellow snow?
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tiwan breeds flourecent pigs

Taipei
    : Taiwan, home to the world's first transgenic glowing fish, has successfully bred fluorescent green pigs that researchers hope will boost the island's stem cell research, a professor said on Thursday.

By injecting fluorescent green protein into embryonic pigs, a research team at the island's leading National Taiwan University managed to breed three male transgenic pigs, said professor Wu Shinn-Chih of the university's Institute and Department of Animal Science and Technology.

There are partially fluorescent green pigs elsewhere, but ours are the only ones in the world that are green from inside out.

Even their hearts and internal organs are green, Wu said on Thursday.

OK, no way I want to eat these!
    wan breeds

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Now they've just got to work on the chickens so I can have some Green Eggs and Ham!

Them's good eats!
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1

Taipei: Taiwan, home to the world's first transgenic glowing fish, has successfully bred fluorescent green pigs that researchers hope will boost the island's stem cell research, a professor said on Thursday.

By injecting fluorescent green protein into embryonic pigs, a research team at the island's leading National Taiwan University managed to breed three male transgenic pigs, said professor Wu Shinn-Chih of the university's Institute and Department of Animal Science and Technology.

There are partially fluorescent green pigs elsewhere, but ours are the only ones in the world that are green from inside out.

Even their hearts and internal organs are green, Wu said on Thursday.

OK, no way I want to eat these!
    wan breeds

that should make the rest of the world Green with Envy

Thread Information