Thread: Needs some ideas

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Needs some ideas

This is totally going a against what was being discussed by Optidonn and the idea of a Techinical Optician Guild. But here it goes...since we are in January, and sales tend to be a little slower... I would love to hear some tried and true sales getters that always seem to work in each of our practices. I posted this on The Dispensing Optician Website and only got one response and this forum seems to get more "traffic." (the Dispensing Optician is actually how I found this site--it seems to be a great asset) I seem to be running low on ideas and need to "steal shamelessly" from others. Thanks in advance.:hammer:
    Jeff

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do what the OMD's do, hire sexy young women. No Skills required, just look youthfull, sexy and energetic.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jjlabra
    This is totally going a against what was being discussed by Optidonn and the idea of a Techinical Optician Guild. But here it goes...since we are in January, and sales tend to be a little slower... I would love to hear some tried and true sales getters that always seem to work in each of our practices. I posted this on The Dispensing Optician Website and only got one response and this forum seems to get more "traffic." (the Dispensing Optician is actually how I found this site--it seems to be a great asset) I seem to be running low on ideas and need to "steal shamelessly" from others. Thanks in advance.:hammer:
    Question: What is the reason for your sales being down in January?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Slow down.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    I dont think it is just January.............looking at the general economy we are in for a slump in general, but January has its down too.

Many poeple slow down spending as they charged their credit cards with christmas purchases. Gas and heating oil prices do not help and elctricity cost are going up nearly 20%.

It was even in the news yesterday that WalMart had a disapointing sales figure for December.........just see the coming trend.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    I hesitated put this thread for this exact reason. I figured I would be "attacked" for posing a question that involved sales. The questions I figured would be "what was I doing wrong," " I must be a horrible optician to let my sales drop off a little," basically looking fault in my "abilities." Other the economy and people paying off their debt--I don't know. Besides, I was looking for ideas for anytime of the year--I don't feel you can have ENOUGH sales.

I looking for HELP. The only stupid question is the one not asked, so I dared to ask it. Thank you, Chris, for pointing out the economy.
    Jeff

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hesitated put this thread for this exact reason. I figured I would be "attacked" for posing a question that involved sales. The questions I figured would be "what was I doing wrong," " I must be a horrible optician to let my sales drop off a little," basically looking fault in my "abilities." Other the economy and people paying off their debt--I don't know. Besides, I was looking for ideas for anytime of the year--I don't feel you can have ENOUGH sales.

I looking for HELP. The only stupid question is the one not asked, so I dared to ask it. Thank you, Chris, for pointing out the economy.
    you could run a scheeme where people pay you X$ per month, and you offer the spectacles at a reduced rate.. this has the advantage of knowing you have a core ammount of turnover per month. Look at the EyePlan Scheeme in the UK

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    JJLABRA,

I've noticed a couple things about January, not sure how to use them to promote business.

First, January is bounced check month. Customers are overextended from Christmas, over 50% of my years bounced checks come in January.

Second, January is "take care of yourself as New Years resolution" month. It's a heavy eye exam month more on the eye health end rather than the "I need new specs end". Fewer spec sales after exams.

Myself, I try to promote the exams as part of the new year resolution and try a BOGO with second pair as sunglasses as we are trying to think summer. Other thing to keep in mind is that most vision insurances are by calendar year and the new year has started.

Harry

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    SALES!

When retailers are slow Sales work the best to boost business.

I was at customers shop last week. He bought a business that had been in that spot for about 20 years. The fist thing he did was to add more big name brands. Second he has sales gives discounts to cutomers for no reason. Then he tells the cusomter that he is trying to build the business buy giving a better deal. He hopes they go back to work and tell a friend. It has payed off because he has been real busy and other shops in town are slow.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you concidered: Trunk Sales, Wine and Cheeze parties (they spend better with alcohol), discount coupons, two for one sales, door prizes, raffle registrations with some sort of give-away drawing, re-decorating, just moving the frames around on the shelves, invitation only sales, tieing in a blood donor discount (contact you blood service), just being nice to customers, radio/tv advertizing, coupons in the local newspaper tv guide? And lastly sucking up to the precribers with some sort of kick-back (illegal but common)?

Of course you can imitate the local car dealers, have red-tag sales, number sales, pitches about "how you've got to meet your quota." The old bait and switch pitch (advertise at a rediculously low price, but have only junk that no one would wear at that price, I have one O.D. in town who advertises: "Rx and glasses $39.00, his average customer dropps $485.00.) Personally, I have concidered offering a big discount for everything purchased on Wednesday (slow day because the OMD's do surgery and play golf on Wednesday).

There are more schemes to make money than you can immagine, it's just a question of what you are willing to do or invest.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

I suspect the question was meant to be thought provoking as opposed to critical. After all, who is responsible for your sales? While the economy and other factors may have an effect on your sales, they are not responsible for your sales. Trying to answer, "Why are MY sales down in January?", may be enlightening and particularly in a forum like this, may spark ideas.

-Keith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    manipulate the reminders to load more patients into january
    use january as yoru house keeping / re-fit / painting / training month

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IT just seems for many practices January is a booming month. Many insurance plans roll over, and the thoughts on health are higher. Though I will say that many insurance companies are switching to a every 12months limit from an every year limit.

We are trying to increase our business overall through two different means. First we made several "coupon" fliers to give to local businesses offering a 30% discount with exam, or 15% of contact lense services..not product. What made this deal even better is that we did it in conjunction with a local lab, so when we send in the patient's coupon, they give us a 30% discount on our lab services as well.

The second business builder is working with the Chamber of Commerce in letting some of our local industrial shops know the importance of safety eyewear and offer "group rates" to them for safety glasses. We are utilizing a safety program that we co-developed with a local lab as well.

Good Luck, and let us know if you find something that works!

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We jam in late December and January ! One of my offices had 8 trays that were waiting for the clock to strike 12:00 on Dec. 31st. We get all the folks w/ new plans, and many have plans they don't know how to use. We advertise that we "work" with all insurance plans, although we are providers for only 2.

We are also next to an HR Block office and they give out our flyers, and we do the same for them. You'd be surprised how easily people spend $$ that they don't even have yet.

Sales ? Haven't had one in 16 years. I never say never, but hopefully, this won't be the year we have to start running sales.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

Sometimes business slows down and you have time to reflect and come up with better ways to service your customers. It is good to be pro-active and not just compain.

Yeah, money is tight for everyone right now. We happen to be in a low-income environment; lots of Medicaid and people making less than a living wage. A few years ago we found a decent inexpensive frame line and started offering frame/lens packages (basically, free frame if you buy the lenses). Sounds simple but it has really made a big difference. When someone says they cannot afford the premiums that we offer we talk packages and it saves a lot of time. Usually we get multiple referrals from our package collections.

We also started to get closeout and discontinued designer frames and make packages out of them too. We find people getting multiple pairs with this concept and again; more referrals.

Another thing we did to increase our business is to offer decent frames(metal frames with modern shapes) to our medicaid clients and give them the same respectful service we give all of our clients. This again sounds simple but the feedback is incredible; i am surprised from what our clients tell us about how they are treated at other opticals when they have medicaid. This has been our greatest source of referrals. We see many of their friends and relatives(many who are not on medicaid.)

Good thread. I would love to read more of these ideas people have.

Thanks.:)

Thread Information