Thread: Frame FAX or VSP approved

Bad address email on file

Frame FAX or VSP approved

Any thoughts on how you get frames into Frame FAX or VSP approved? Thanks

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by lakcheong
    Any thoughts on how you get frames into Frame FAX or VSP approved? Thanks
    Why dont you contact them directly and ask.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I checked into this before. Just call Frames and they will guide you through the process. It's quite expensive from what I understand,and in my opinion almost usless as far as VSP is concerned. Most optical professionals believe that VSP will not reimburse if the the frame is not "VSP approved", but in reality there are no "VSP" approved frames. I mean think about how many manufacturers there are, there is no way VSP can stay on top of all that. And besides they can't dictate who you can and can not buy from. Call VSP and ask them yourselves 1-800-615-1883. So, my point is why waste money buy putting them in frames?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Abbe
    So, my point is why waste money buy putting them in frames?
    I disagree. If a manufacturer/distributor has a unique product or wants to get their frame info out to the buying professional, then Frames Data is a good resource. Everyone of our frames is listed in Frames Data. Also, some insurance companies need the MSR of the frame in order to reimburse the provider fairly.

We have a very versatile kids frame called the "Puppy". Many of our customers were looking for a frame like that one. Without Frames Data they never would have found it.

So...Lakcheong, my opinion is for you to figure out whether the cost of putting your product into Frames Data will offset the cost.

Jim

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=EncoreJim]

Also, some insurance companies need the MSR of the frame in order to reimburse the provider fairly.

No they don't, that's where all the frame companies have you fooled....like Encore Jim who has his own frame company....(great frames I might add)...but if you don't believe me call the insurance companies and ask them.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, and I don't even own a Frames catalouge...I wonder how many of us out there actually have one....that's up to date that is.

Occupation
    Well..............before we added frames to the Frames Data book/pricebook, I too thought it would cost too much. Not until I ran across many many many of new potential customers(retail) who said they could not buy our frames unless they were listed in the Frames Book for insurance billing purposes did I make the decision to list in Frames Data.

I too cringed when I heard the price to do this, but the cost was justified by adding new satisified customers to our ranks.

We (Encore Vision) do not tell any of our customers that frames must be in the Frames Data to be insurance reimburseable. I did call VSP and some other insurance companies to verify that THEY needed the frames in Frames Data to be able to reimburse the provider. I received a resounding YES. Just my experience, about 1.5 years ago.

No I do not have a frames catalog. You would think that the price of listing frames would include a catalog. Nope.

High Abbe, thanks for the comment on our frames. We agree!! :)

Jim

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, and I don't even own a Frames catalouge...I wonder how many of us out there actually have one....that's up to date that is.
    I don't! I have catalogues from all of the vendors I use.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    I don't! I have catalogues from all of the vendors I use.
    I have a Frames that's 2 years old; used to share a subscription with another o.d., but found I use it very little, and when I do, it seems to cost me something. Now I can find most frame info on line with big color pics. Anyway, VSP does have rules about the frames we dispense, but I don't think they are enforcing them. Doesn't mean they couldn't though, and they can get tough.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=William Stacy O.D.] Anyway, VSP does have rules about the frames we dispense, but I don't think they are enforcing them. Doesn't mean they couldn't though, and they can get tough

You guys should really call VSP. They have no rules on who you can order frames from. As a matter of fact when I called there they had never heard of Frames and had to research this supposed rule because they weren't aware of it. I think this imagined rule has got some of us scared to order a frame from some of these smaller companies, which I think is a travesty. But don't take my word for it call them yourselves.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by William Stacy O.D.
    I have a Frames that's 2 years old; used to share a subscription with another o.d., but found I use it very little, and when I do, it seems to cost me something. Now I can find most frame info on line with big color pics. Anyway, VSP does have rules about the frames we dispense, but I don't think they are enforcing them. Doesn't mean they couldn't though, and they can get tough.
    Same here, I use to split a subscription, with a fellow optician. I found I just didn't use it. I sell from my displays, not some catalogue of frames. Patients want to see the frames book and then have you order a frame or 2 so they can see them. then they never want what you order for them.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    [QUOTE=High_Abbe]
    Anyway, VSP does have rules about the frames we dispense, but I don't think they are enforcing them. Doesn't mean they couldn't though, and they can get tough

You guys should really call VSP. They have no rules on who you can order frames from. As a matter of fact when I called there they had never heard of Frames and had to research this supposed rule because they weren't aware of it. I think this imagined rule has got some of us scared to order a frame from some of these smaller companies, which I think is a travesty. But don't take my word for it call them yourselves.
    You are slightly confused. I said they have rules about the frames we dispense, not on from whom you order them. If you called VSP and the rep didn't know about FRAMES, then you talked to a novice. That doesn't change the fact that they have standards on the frames VSP providers must use. Are you a VSP provider? (I do about 100 VSP jobs a month)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=William Stacy O.D.]

You are slightly confused. I said they have rules about the frames we dispense, not on from whom you order them. If you called VSP and the rep didn't know about FRAMES, then you talked to a novice. That doesn't change the fact that they have standards on the frames VSP providers must use. Are you a VSP provider? (I do about 100 VSP jobs a month)
    Yes I am a VSP provider. So what are these "standards" please tell us. And please let me know which page of the provider manual I kind find these standards so that I can read them. Oh, and by the way, I'm not confused.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    [QUOTE=High_Abbe]

Yes I am a VSP provider. So what are these "standards" please tell us. And please let me know which page of the provider manual I kind find these standards so that I can read them. Oh, and by the way, I'm not confused.
    Well, I take Fridays off, so I'm at the ranch, but I know they require, for one, frames that are "not discontinued". Do that, and you're in violation. Whether or not they catch you is another question...

(I will check my manual on Mon. and get back to you. How long have you been on VSP and how many do you do per month?)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The point is a frame dosn't have to be in Frames to get reimbursed by insurance companies.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Most optical professionals believe that VSP will not reimburse if the the frame is not "VSP approved", but in reality there are no "VSP" approved frames.
    you might say that, but there are frames that are not allowed on VSP (cut from their on line well vision manual):

Providing Frames

General guidelines when providing frames for VSP patients:
    Provide only current stock—not discontinued frames.

so strictly speaking, they at least require that much

plus, if you get a frame that is not listed in FRAMES or the frame company has not registered with VSP, read this cut, and ESPECIALLY THE LAST LINE:

Frames Companies/Lines

Frame companies that are listed on the Frame Companies/Lines list are those that have completed an application with VSP and meet the following criteria:
    The manufacturer provides doctors and VSP with a current catalog and wholesale price list for their frames or is listed in the Frames® catalog.
    Catalog price or manufacturer’s wholesale price does not exceed a 25% markup over the doctor’s typical acquisition price.
    When billing VSP for the frame companies/lines listed, please use the price indicated on the manufacturer’s wholesale price list or the Frames catalog list price as the wholesale cost of the frame. For all frame companies not listed, use your acquisition price when indicating the wholesale cost.
    Invoices of frame purchases other than those listed on the Frame Companies/Lines list are to be kept for a minimum of six years, and are to be provided to VSP on request.

(end cut & paste)

[and they do audit (believe me, I've been audited more than once!).]

Thanks everybody.....this has been great help!:)

Thread Information