Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitani USA is closing up shop!!

Mitani USA is closing up shop!!

As of February Mitani USA is no longer, so if you have any frames send them back now!!!! Call your rep now!!!!!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It would be great if you would cite your source.

All you gotta do is call their 800# 1-800-470-0041
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    It would be great if you would cite your source.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

dont return your frames.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Optical_1
    As of February Mitani USA is no longer, so if you have any frames send them back now!!!! Call your rep now!!!!!
    This can just be a rumor.........................

If I would be the company closing up and would get frames returned..............that would just be to bad for returning optician..............and you better off selling them than be without frames and or credit.

Companies close usually, because there is not enough business, or they are bancrupt.

Hey people!! Are you listening???? What do you think I'm making this stuff up? It's not a rumor, and if you owe this company any money, then now would be a very good time to send your frames back for credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    This can just be a rumor.........................

If I would be the company closing up and would get frames returned..............that would just be to bad for returning optician..............and you better off selling them than be without frames and or credit.

Companies close usually, because there is not enough business, or they are bancrupt.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optical 1:

You seem to be quite gleeful over this situation.

How long did you rep for them, or are you a just a disgruntled customer ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Mitani is not being pulled from the US market--it's being sold to a company in California. I just got off the phone with the person who's buying it. He's purchasing Eyebro, Takeo Kikuchi, and Mitani. If anything's getting pulled from the US market, it'll be Kisura.

He was, I might add, very impressed that I already knew about it. He said the message on the Mitani 800 number changed Tuesday at noon Pacific.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spartus,

Have your friend sign on here and introduce themself. It would help some accounts as well as cutting this guy a break with his new line.

Occupation

Big Smile Problem solved.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Optical_1
    Hey people!! Are you listening???? What do you think I'm making this stuff up? It's not a rumor, and if you owe this company any money, then now would be a very good time to send your frames back for credit.
    So the problem got solved and therte was hysteria for nothing. Always good to check out rumors.

:D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not sure I wouldn't want to take care of business before dealing with the new company, though!

If it were me, and I had an outstanding invoice due, I'd consider returning inventory.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Return Inventory if bill is coming due?

I don't understand this point of view. If you purchased a frame to sell in your retail outlet and believed it would sell, why if the distribution is changing hands would you send it back? I would understand if the frame was defective, but this should have been noticed when the frame was checked in at the time of receipt.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    I don't understand this point of view. If you purchased a frame to sell in your retail outlet and believed it would sell, why if the distribution is changing hands would you send it back? I would understand if the frame was defective, but this should have been noticed when the frame was checked in at the time of receipt.

I think the idea is that if the company is closing then you will be stuck with frames with no warranty and that you can't exchange. I have called Mitani and they haven't mentioned any "new distributor" and even if there is, are the new owners going to honor the old warranty? In my mind there are too many unanswered questions to just sit on the product. I say send it back and when the new owners take over then we can talk. It just makes good business sense. This equates to you telling your patient that you're closing in a month but your glasses are under warranty for 1 year. Oh and by the way I heard that someone might be buying the business,so if something happens to your glasses there might be someone here and they might agree to replace it.......

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Even as an optician I never understood the "send it all back" mentality. Have some accountability for what you buy. If everyone buys with the thought that they can just send back everything for a credit when they feel like it, than that is a glorified consignment situation.

Now that does not include a situation where you may have been taken advantage of, but we have certainly trained ourselves OUT of being profesional merchants. Anyone know what they do in Europe?

Occupation
    Right on AWTECH and aaron.

The last time I checker ophthalmic frames were not considered currency. Don’t be a schmuck - pay your bill with real money and sell the products that you buy.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

de plane! de plane ! Welcome to fantasy island!!

This whole situation just goes to show you that it really doesn't make sense to pay more for "brand" frames. What are oyu getting that you can't get from a smaller shop ?

RBaker:

You said "Pay your bill with real money and sell the products that you buy."

These guys didn't pay full price for a discontinued product. Why would you?
    As far as the "send it back". When the Mitani rep comes to your office selling what they call "the best titanium in the business" and a "two year warranty" (which they did say), you'd better believe I'd send it back if I thought I had a chance to get anything back. Your telling me that we're supopsed to pay premium prices, and then sell it to the customer at a much reduced mark-up because the manufacturer wil no longer stand behind it?

I talked to Mitani today. They called back regarding an order we had placed in November, and they never shipped. The guy had very broken English, and got irritated when I asked if they were shutting down the NY office. They said they are shutting down the entire company (the receorded msg say the NY office only), but they haven't decided on a specific date yet. If you have a defective frame, you must first send them the frame for them to determine if it is their fault, if it is , only then will they send you a replacement. I told them that I can see why they're going out of business.

Occupation

Blue Jumper You buy, its yours....................

Quote Originally Posted by aaron
    Anyone know what they do in Europe?
    I can help you on this question...........................

In Europe they buy a frame.............then they sell it...............and if not they are stuck with it. Returns can only be made if the frame is actually defective and opticians there have learned how to handle frames.

There are NO non adapt warranties and no frame consignments. You buy..........pay..............and its yours.

If it results not to your liking, you will be smarter for it, because you learn by your mistakes.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-07-2006 at 07:29 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron
    Even as an optician I never understood the "send it all back" mentality. Have some accountability for what you buy. If everyone buys with the thought that they can just send back everything for a credit when they feel like it, than that is a glorified consignment situation.
    Eyewear today is as much a fashion item as a medical device. Not only do retailers have difficulty in knowing what will be a winning design but manufacturers also cannot predict which of their designs will be the biggest sellers. Manufacturers rely on producing at factory capacity, being allocated sufficient board (shelf) space in retail settings for adequate product representation and selling through their existing inventories. All these factors operate at varying percentages. If a retailer has "dead" inventory, they will lessen their shelf space for the "poorly" producing product. In turn the manufacturer will have less (to no) orders from this retailer. The issue is not for the retailer to have accountability. The relationship between manufacturer and retailer is a true partnership, and as such, both sides want the product which will turnover the fastest.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Chris Ryser]I can help you on this question...........................

In Europe they buy a frame.............then they sell it...............and if not they are stuck with it.

Well, we're not in Europe, and who said that's the best way to do business. I think the system of exchanging for more current product is good for both parties involved....it keeps inventory moving. And if you're going out of business, take your frames with you!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In the uk mostly you buy it , you own it however i have arrangements with my suppliers to swop slow movers for better sellers.The only company i had an issue with was luxottica, they will only swop frames if you buy new ones at a ratio of 1 swopped frame to every 4 new ones bought! Needless to say i dont stock any of their ranges.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the UK on the whole you buy a frame and its yours untill you sell it. Some manufacturers will supply a consignment stock, and you can return what you dont want, and the price will be somewhat higher. Some manufacturers will take back discontinued stock, and exchange it for fresh stock.

Generally the option I like is the last one - that is you buy the stock, and it is yours, but the rep visits often and checks for poor sellers or soon to be dis-continued and either lets you know - or exchanges them, dependant on condition - not all of them, but the odd one (im talking say 2% of an order might be an exchange)

I am a firm believer in taking responsibility for what you buy, but on the other hand, the manufacturers have a responsibility to let you know whats going to be discontinued soon

I prefer manufacturers who stock a range for more than 1 year, and a spare parts service beyond that. nothing irritates me more than the "designer" culture of switching designs, and discontinuing things like grease lightning - and generally those are the manufacturers that refuse bluntly to offer after sales service or exchanges. for that reason I take more risky ranges on a consignment basis, or not at all
    what is very good is the rep who visits and freshens up the range automatically, removing the poor sellers, and leaving, and replacing them with better sellers - this is a trust trust relationship. I have had a few reps work with me very sucsessfully like this. I agree not to sell a stock frame, and to order frames for jobs each time I sell one. they agree to keep my stock of "some designer brand" to say 50 pieces, and supply fresh merchandising. this is a win win situation - I wouldnt normally stock so many pieces from that manufacturer, and the managment of the range is taken over by the rep - they sell lots of product, and I dont have to think too hard about the range or returns, or exchanges, or credit notes etc

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

What should the policy be?

To continue this discussion on returns vs retailers responsibility for selling what they buy, I can tell you this every function in the distribution channel costs something. The ability to return any amount at any time is expensive for the manufacturer.

For Example: A manufacturer makes frame style they expect to be a great seller and they manufacture enough so their current retailers plus new retailers can get this frame. Well they were wrong and it is not a good seller and instead of selling this frame the first month it takes the retailer 9 months to sell the frame. The retailer will likely find someone who likes this non popular style and get good money for it.

On the other side of the issue is the manufacturer takes back this frame from all retailers, now not only is the manufacturer stuck with the frames he has in inventory that were not reordered but he has most of the original sell in returned. The scrap value is not very good and a big loss for the manufacturer, sure the retailer is thrilled, but when budgeting the manufactures costs this hugh loss becomes a cost of all of the good selling frames.

Either method can work and obviously does as Chris Ryser point out in Europe they do different than the US. It gets back to you get what you pay for.

What is really expensive is some of the retailer tactic with these return policies, such as: A retailer who purchased a frame, sold it to the customer, the customer broke the frame by sitting on it and returned it to the retailer expecting to pay for the repair or replacement of the frame. The retailer changed the customer for a new frame which he ordered from the manufacturer, then adjusted (BENT) back to a similar to original position and returned the item for credit saying the customer did not want it. (Keeping track of the return activity to keep from getting total scammed is very expensive for the manufactures) This is the cost that most honest retailer do not understand since they assume a return is just put on the shelf and sent out again. If they are handled this way a portion of used products could get delivered as new to retailers.

The auto industry retailer is finally moving away from the marketing that tried to convince the car buyer that they lost money on every sale and made it up in volume.

The retailer and the manufacturer have to make a reasonable profit to continue to provide the products and services their customers expect.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Consginment: Used by manufacturers that can't sell frames based on the frame's own merit. A truly pathetic approach to selling frames.

Re: This thread

Nobody said, "Send all the frames back because you made a bad choice in the styles you chose." The point is, a covenant is made between the buyer and the seller. The seller breaks the covenant by not being able to back the frame up -IN THE EVENT OF DEFECT. You should have the option of a credit if you wish. Just like when Lux sold all the Armanis up to the end, and then wanted to charge to return them.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Charge up to 100% more....................

Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    What is really expensive is some of the retailer tactic with these return policies, such as: A retailer who purchased a frame, sold it to the customer, the customer broke the frame by sitting on it and returned it to the retailer expecting to pay for the repair or replacement of the frame.

The retailer and the manufacturer have to make a reasonable profit to continue to provide the products and services their customers expect.
    I had a good frame business for a long time and got out of it over 20 years when the consignment business started. In 1979 the manufacturing market started to flood the field with new products and competition got tougher.

In the 60s we had returns of 4-5 % of the total amount of frames sold.........mostly exchanges and warranties

In the early 70s the figure went up to 17%

By 1980 the percentage went up to 26% (which meant a quarter of the frames sold came back over the follwing 6 month)

I do not know what todays figure are but I have heard that it it can go as high as over 60%.

The frame wholesaler/importer can not return them to the manufacturer.

Therefore this expected loss, proven by past expiriences, has to be incorporated into the selling price of new models.

The retailer today could also pay a price that is based on the landed cost of the frame + a 60% loss for expected returns and then multiplied by the profit factor of each company.

I don't think to be far off, by saying that the optician is probably paying up to 100% more for their frames, than they would if there would be a straight sale and no consignment and return policy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    there is the issue of minimum order numbers and other slippery tactics that the manufacturers pull off. I refuse to deal with Oakley. they insist I take 50 pieces of sunspectacles, and 30 ophthalmic frames B4 I order anything at all. 3 miles away, the cycling shop holds 20 pieces of sunspectacles and no ophthalmic stock at all. to all intents and purposes the two businneses - cycling and optician are the same size, and have similar street locations

THe ophthalmic range is pretty unnaccessable, with only 3 pieces i would have ever considered stocking

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Abbe
    I think the idea is that if the company is closing then you will be stuck with frames with no warranty and that you can't exchange. I have called Mitani and they haven't mentioned any "new distributor" and even if there is, are the new owners going to honor the old warranty? In my mind there are too many unanswered questions to just sit on the product. I say send it back and when the new owners take over then we can talk. It just makes good business sense. This equates to you telling your patient that you're closing in a month but your glasses are under warranty for 1 year. Oh and by the way I heard that someone might be buying the business,so if something happens to your glasses there might be someone here and they might agree to replace it.......
    I could ask all this of the prospective new owner if you'd like. If it would end the pointless speculation, I'd be more than happy to do it.

You seem very eager to send back the product rather than listen to what I'm telling you. I'm not a particularly big fan of their stuff either--it's cute, but mostly too small for grownups--but to honk endlessly on about returning the product when unaware of the entire story certainly makes it appear like you have an agenda.

Thread Information