Thread: Those of you who accept medical insurance

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Those of you who accept medical insurance

...for medical problem oriented visits...How do you handle patient requests for a spectacle Rx when it is specifically excluded by insurance? Do you charge a refraction fee or do you just take it on the chin?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    ...for medical problem oriented visits...How do you handle patient requests for a spectacle Rx when it is specifically excluded by insurance? Do you charge a refraction fee or do you just take it on the chin?
    Absolutely! Just like medicare. Refraction is NEVER covered by medicare, so the patient ALWAYS has to pay for it when insurance excludes it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Agree.

OptiWizard
    Ditto and make sure you charge enough for your effort.
    :cheers: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You definitely need to charge for refraction caused u know damn well that they will not reimburse for that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for all the responses. I feel the same way. We should charge...but I'm wondering why I hear complaints from so many of my patients when I try to charge for the refraction. They say things like, "my last doctor never charged me" So, I have to believe that most Drs. are NOT charging for refraction even though all of you responded that you did.

Heck, I even get patient complaints about having to pay extra for contact lens evaluation or fitting. Just had a 21 year old female, whose dad called me on her $400 cell phone, 5 minutes after her exam, demanding to speak to me about why I wouldn't accept his medical plan to examine his daughter and write her an Rx for CLs. It didn't matter that we told her that when she checked in, or that we handled the billing for her CL visit the same way for the past two years. The dad told me his family was never coming back. Go figure.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Redhot Jumper

''
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 02-28-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for all the responses. I feel the same way. We should charge...but I'm wondering why I hear complaints from so many of my patients when I try to charge for the refraction. They say things like, "my last doctor never charged me" So, I have to believe that most Drs. are NOT charging for refraction even though all of you responded that you did.

Heck, I even get patient complaints about having to pay extra for contact lens evaluation or fitting. Just had a 21 year old female, whose dad called me on her $400 cell phone, 5 minutes after her exam, demanding to speak to me about why I wouldn't accept his medical plan to examine his daughter and write her an Rx for CLs. It didn't matter that we told her that when she checked in, or that we handled the billing for her CL visit the same way for the past two years. The dad told me his family was never coming back. Go figure.
    It's very common for some docs not to charge for refraction or for CL eval, mostly out of ignorance and maybe inertia. I have learned that the best way to handle this is to tell them in advance, esp. when I think they might expect a freebie. So if a patient asks about contacts during a regular eye exam, I gently ask them if they also want a contact lens evaluation today. That usually gets their attention, and sets the stage for an explanation that the regular eye exam fee covers no contact lens services.

Similarly, when a Medicare patient says she wants to get new glasses, I say, right then, that refraction will be needed for that, and refraction is not a medicare benefit. No problema. If they balk at that point, fine, I don't do the refraction (and the medicare patient gets no spectacle Rx) or I don't do the CL eval (and the CL patient certainly gets no CL Rx).

I also gently remind them that times have changed since we "threw in" the refraction with a pair of glasses or a CL eval with a pair of CLs. If they still are indignant, I ask why they came to me instead of to their old, free doc?
    Most times, they then ask if I take checks or credit cards. The few times they walk, I'm just happy that I didn't have to do gratis work.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    The solution is very simple . petition your optometric association or governing body to pass legislation prohibiting an optometrist from accepting any insurance plans whatsoever . now all of a sudden you have a cash business and you no longer are the "free" employee of the insurance companies and you can charge what you want and you just reduced your expenses , increased your free time and got rid of your problems and complaints. Voila ! Simple ! Effective !

Now your stock answer is " Geez, sorry , that is between yourself and your insurance company. We would like to help you but there is nothing we can do becasue it is illegal for us to get involved in these issues.! "
    I hope that was a tongue in cheek reply. Surely you're joking. Well, maybe my practice is special. At least 80% of my patients have insurance. If I accepted no plans, I'd last 1, maybe 2 months trying to live off the rest. BTW I don't accept ALL plans, and I sure spend a lot of time explaining to those people what they can do. If I had to do that with everyone, I probably wouldn't have enough time left to see the 20%. Oh, I forgot, they'd be going over to costco or walmart anyway...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The solution is very simple . petition your optometric association or governing body to pass legislation prohibiting an optometrist from accepting any insurance plans whatsoever . now all of a sudden you have a cash business and you no longer are the "free" employee of the insurance companies and you can charge what you want and you just reduced your expenses , increased your free time and got rid of your problems and complaints. Voila ! Simple ! Effective !

Now your stock answer is " Geez, sorry , that is between yourself and your insurance company. We would like to help you but there is nothing we can do becasue it is illegal for us to get involved in these issues.! "
    You must be joking.

OptiBoardaholic

In my neck of the woods

In the area I am practicing, I just take it on the chin and pretty much for the reason you stated. "But no other doctors have ever charged me for that." People in my area of the country are simple (not necessarily stupid, just simple). In my last practice I definately charged a refraction fee and it was no problem. I encourage the fee in most cases and I think that in the next few years I will be making a change, but I do think that you have to do what is right for yourself financially and though I doubt you (in NY) are in the same situation I am (in MS) there are some situations in which patient satisfaction comes in a one size fits all mentality.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    [;
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 02-28-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not joking . it is one solution . What you are missing is that no vision care provider would be accepting the plans , therefore you would be losing no business . Insurance companies would still exist , as would their customers , but the insurance matters would be between the insured and the insurer and you would not be the middleman . You would be doing your job on your terms not their job on their terms.
    Ahh, but what YOUR missing is that it is a "tradition" to undercut the competition in the optical field. Never would all optical providers get together and collaborate with each other in a manner helpful to us. So, your "solution" would not work. From another point of view, it would probably be illegal to collaborate to boycott the insurance industry. It would be OK to do it individually, but not together.

OptiBoardaholic
    From another point of view, it would probably be illegal to collaborate to boycott the insurance industry. It would be OK to do it individually, but not together.
    I am trying, but I can't think of one reason why this would be true. Why do you believe this way? I only ask because I could honestly see things coming down to an outright boycott one day.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialT
    I am trying, but I can't think of one reason why this would be true. Why do you believe this way? I only ask because I could honestly see things coming down to an outright boycott one day.
    Anti-trust laws. It's been discussed, ad nauseum, with legal counsel in my state association. It's legal for labor unions, the government and insurance companies to "violate" anti-trust laws. It's not for the rest of us.:finger:

OptiBoardaholic
    Bummer, but I am sure there is a loop-hole.;)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialT
    Bummer, but I am sure there is a loop-hole.;)
    No, and you really can't discuss fees with a colleague without violating anti-trust laws. I suggest doing a complete body search of your colleague...

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Blue Jumper

;;
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 02-28-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Let me ask all of you this question :

What is the single biggest headache and problem you face in running your practice today that you would most like to solve or eliminate ?
    You probably should have started a new thread with that question. It's a big one. My biggest one is my high priced rent. It has produced a significant volume of upscale patients, but I hate working a week or 2 every month for the landlord. My lease is up next year so I'm starting to plan for a serious downsize...

Thread Information