Thread: can anybody provide intruction to use PALs!!!!!

Bad address email on file

can anybody provide intruction to use PALs!!!!!

can anybody provide intruction for how to use PALs!!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cnet_baby
    is this from the patients perspective, or from the practitioner teaching the patient's perspective?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

weird question........................

I just went on your profile. It says that your occupation is optician.

I really dont want to start the first war on the Optiboard in 2006 and be insulting to anybody.

But it sounds very weird that you should pop a question to which you are supposed to know the answer according to your professional level listed on your profile.

Please clarify your question with more details.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    I just went on your profile. It says that your occupation is optician.

I really dont want to start the first war on the Optiboard in 2006 and be insulting to anybody.

But it sounds very weird that you should pop a question to which you are supposed to know the answer according to your professional level listed on your profile.

Please clarify your question with more details.
    Chris. In my country they de-regulated optics. Some young Jane working in MotherCare last week can call themselves a "dispenser" or "optician", they just cant use the word "qualified". whats even worse is when they are given 1 weeks training, and then they really think they know it all. Dispensing 1.74 to +1.00's because it is te best lens. Bah FXXXXX iritating if you ask me. thats consumer choice for you

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think he is looking for something to handout to customers for information and later reference.

Occupation

Big Smile Down the drain.............................

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    Chris. In my country they de-regulated optics.
    King...............the UK is going down the drain like the good old USA with more than 50% of the states being not regulated.

I went through the Northampton Optical in the 50s and being a dispensing optician was a honorable profession in England.

No wonder that the chains are having an easy time.............and the large manufacturing corporations are already dictating who can buy their product or not. Soon they will also rule the retail part of the trade.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not trying to be rude, but is English your first language? Just curious.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris,
    Maybe they're just making sure they are educating the patient the best that they can. Knowledge is power and we can ALWAYS learn even into our elderly years. Oddly, I thought this board was for the exchange of information and a way to bounce ideas off others. A way to make sure you are doing the best that you can...
    I for one have been an optician since 1982. I didn't get involved in PAL's until this year (I spent almost 10 yrs out of the business) and before that I only dealt with SV, FT/Tri, Execs in the military. So, I personally would like to hear how other opticians help their patients learn to deal with no-lines.
    Thanks in advance!

Occupation
    NavyChief from JarHead,

This board is open to anyone who happens to stop by for either knowledge, advice or amusement. When you become a member you can call yourself anything you want. That being the case, I often wonder what the average civilian must think of the eye care business when they visit this site and read a post from a supposed optician asking such a basic question. I just hope that they don’t take these posts or OptiBoard too seriously.

They say that there is no such thing as a stupid question but when a Delta pilot ask how to lower the landing gear you got a confidence problem. Perhaps a new Forum called Pud Knockers or Students could become the home for these most embarrassing technical questions.

In the spirit of the New Year and in support of my New Years resolution to become more sarcastic I submit to you that the post in question may be the most profound statement made on this board in 2005. It clearly shows me that many so called opticians don’t know squat. I just don't know any other conclusion.

There now, I feel much better.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper If you are asking me...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I am not trying to be rude, but is English your first language? Just curious.

If you are asking me...........................English in NOT my first language, however i am fairly fluent in English........French.........German........Swiss German...........and I swear very well in Italian.

Couriosity satisfied ?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    If you are asking me...........................English in NOT my first language, however i am fairly fluent in English........French.........German........Swiss German...........and I swear very well in Italian.

Couriosity satisfied ?
    I wasn't asking you. Your English and grammer are fine! I was asking Cnet Baby.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes I too am very confused by this question........

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    would you please describe a little more what data you are wanting

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker

In the spirit of the New Year and in support of my New Years resolution to become more sarcastic I submit to you that the post in question may be the most profound statement made on this board in 2005. It clearly shows me that many so called opticians don’t know squat. I just don't know any other conclusion.
    And we consumers are being exploited by eye care businesses who lobbied for deregulation.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think that you are supposed to look through them, at whatever it is that you are trying to see ...
    :idea:

JUST JOKING, cnet_baby.

Hope that you find a resolution to your inquiry!

more detail that from the practitioner teaching teh patient's perspective

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    is this from the patients perspective, or from the practitioner teaching the patient's perspective?
    i am asking for more detail that from the practitioner teaching teh patient's perspective, because i found that sometime i teaching the patient some will get wat i mean, but some wil not ..!!! thank you for all ur feedback.

Occupation

Big Smile Lets all dance....................

Now I really think ....................we are all dancing around a may pole

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is what I do when a new progressive wearer picks up their glasses. I had already explained how they are designed and how to use them when they bought them.

I put the glasses on the patient and adjust them. I usually leave the progressive stickers on them or the marks I made where the fitting crosses are till done with this. This allows me to check that they are lined up properly.

I then clean them well. I ask the patient to look through the top of the lens at the distance. It should be clear. I then ask him/her to raise their chin till it gets blurry. I explain that they are getting into the channel which is for arms length vision. I have them lower the chin until it gets clear again.

I then give them a reading card and tell them to look through the lower part of the glasses. It should be clear. I then have them lower their head till it gets blurry. I then have them look through the bottom of the lens and I move the card off to the side. It should get blurry. I then have them point their nose at the card and show them how they need to look directly at what they want to read.

I have them look at the floor through the bottom of the glasses, it will be blurry. I explain that since the bottom of the lens is for close that the floor won't be clear through it. I have them lower their head till it is clear. I tell them to be careful on stairs and curbs and explain that after a few days they won't notice it anymore.

I hold the card out at arms length and have them look through the middle of the lenses at the larger print. I explain this is the intermediate area and that while it isn't big it is useable.

I tell them to check their mirrors in the car before they drive. Can they just move their eyes or do they need to turn their heads?

I explain that progressives don't work well if they aren't adjusted correctly. I tell them to come in whenever they need to for adjustments and that there is no charge for them.

I explain that is normal to take a couple of weeks to get used to progressives and that the best thing is to wear them most/all of the time. I tell them if they aren't comfortable with them within a month to come back and see me.

I ask if there are any guestions.

P.S. I know their is plural but I hate saying his/her all the time.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happy Lady

I thought this was a great answer. We all explain how to use progressives differently. If the way that someone is doing it isn't working, another suggested way might work better. We and I mean we(all) have all had situtations where our standard way of doing something didn't work, and needed a second opinion. If any optician out thinks differently I hate to say it You are nuts:hammer:

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do everything Happylady does, but also give some exercises to speed up adaption

Exercise 1.

play ball with someone, under arm throws, across the body - get your friend to be about 8 feet away - throw a ball or beanie etc. this exercise gets the patient adapting to the bottom part of the lens, and making jusgments about where things are in 3D space with the new lenses on

Exercise 2.

I get the patient to read a book, look at the tv, read the book, the tv, book, tv etc. then move the book (to the left, right, forwards, up down, close etc))then move bum round so you are on a tilt to the tv, and after a few mins, the px gets the right spot on the lens really quickly, without thinking
    Last edited by QDO1; 01-03-2006 at 03:29 PM.

thank you very much for u all feedback

Bad address email on file Visionz's Avatar
    Yeah that was an excellent reply by happylady. I am curious about one thing though, if it takes time to adjust to PAL lenses, let's just say a few weeks, is it really safe to wear them the first day when you drive back home. I would tell the patient not to wear there new PAL lenses when they drive back home instead wear there old pair until they get home, just an safety percaution. What do you guys think?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Visionz
    Yeah that was an excellent reply by happylady. I am curious about one thing though, if it takes time to adjust to PAL lenses, let's just say a few weeks, is it really safe to wear them the first day when you drive back home. I would tell the patient not to wear there new PAL lenses when they drive back home instead wear there old pair until they get home, just an safety percaution. What do you guys think?
    I say "do not operate machenery or drive" in any new spectacles, untill you are confident in them, this particularlary applies to first time progressive wearers

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Visionz
    Thank you for the compliments. Of course what I wrote is general, I adjust it to each patient. If the patient seems unsure in their new glasses I do suggest driving home in their old glasses. Sometimes I suggest starting off fresh in the morning with the new glasses.

I just had a man come back today that picked up his progressives yesterday. He is having trouble with the peripheral areas. I adjusted the glasses lower and told him to wear them for 2 weeks. I also suggested he wear his other glasses to drive, but to wear the new ones otherwise.

He is a good reason not to wait and do a first progressive with a +2.50 add! He is used to wearing single vision and removing them for reading.

Thread Information