Thread: Optical dispensing homework.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optical dispensing homework.

Im have to do a report on three major lens designs for the last piece of homework before i finish my course. so far i have information on the SOLAone lens, hoya gp wide and varilux panamic. I cant seem too find any information on the panamic their website is fairly simple and hasnt helped me too much. Here are the things i need to find out.

"Obtain info on the latest progressive lenses available from three different manufactures do comparison of the design using appreciate technology. You should refer to such things surface design corridor length and patient suitability."

I realise hoya has newer products out but i work with the go wide alot at work.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=frayli]"Obtain info on the latest progressive lenses available from three different manufactures...".

You've got a better chance of talking with the manufacturers if you contact them directly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah for sure but being on holidays and they being busy rnt really interested.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by frayli
    Im have to do a report on three major lens designs for the last piece of homework before i finish my course. so far i have information on the SOLAone lens, hoya gp wide and varilux panamic. I cant seem too find any information on the panamic their website is fairly simple and hasnt helped me too much. Here are the things i need to find out.

"Obtain info on the latest progressive lenses available from three different manufactures do comparison of the design using appreciate technology. You should refer to such things surface design corridor length and patient suitability."

I realise hoya has newer products out but i work with the go wide alot at work.
    look at the essilor UK website, thier lens catalouge is a PDF (many PDF'S), and do a web search for the articals By Dr Sheedy, and progressive lens design.

lens charts are available from a company called Norvilles as a PDF (UK), and Laramy-K (US)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    absolute champion

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok here is what ive done for solaone:

Sola’s lens is probably the newest design out the three and takes advantage of a back surface lens design, this produces a slightly clearer image because the back surface is closer to the eye giving an increased field of view. The SOLAone also has a unique design for each base curve and power giving a large clear viewing zone as well as being a aspheric design maximizing vision. The lens also comes in a 1.67 material which makes it a great choice for higher scripts which are a bit heavier and anyone who would like the lens in a rimless frame. All materials that are used for SOLAone can have a multicoat on them enhancing the appearance and vision while looking out of it. It is also available with a photo chromatic coating on some of the materials. This lens is aimed at a patient who hasn’t worn multifocals before, the reason I say this is because is has a relatively high fitting height which gives a larger field of view compared to a compact design, which are harder to get used to. This lens is probably the best value for money for a back surface design lens.

ive got something similar for the hoya lens but i just cant rummage up enough for the panamic. If anyone wants to give some "expert" oppinions that i can blatently plaugerise it would be appreciated :) :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

lense

aye mate , contact david Wilson down there at the optical school, he has tons of info

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Frayli,
    SolaOne is one of the new breed of 'As Worn' lens designs. It follows principles similar to those used by Rodenstock with their Impression ILT and Zeiss with their individual. These lenses take into consideration the wearing position of the lenses and adjust the power accordingly. Zeiss and Rodenstock require the back vertex distance and the pantoscopic tilt as well as monocular PDs and heights. Rodenstock also require the dihedral angle (facial wrap). Sola use industry averages to make their calculations, arguing that these parameters rarely vary very much. It could also be said rthat some of these measurements are difficult to measure with absolute accuracy, and, in the case of pantoscopic tilt, will vary with the wearer's posture. All are excellent designs and use freefrorm technology to produce the lenses from scratch, rather than using semifinished blanks. If you were to use an Essilor product you may want to consider IPSEO, rather than Panamic. IPSEO is also produced using freeform technology and so deserves to be considered in the same category of advanced designs. The design of each IPSEO depends on the individual's head/eye movements, as measured by an instrument available from Essilor. Hoya have also developed a lens produced by the individual technology of freeform. The Hoyalux iD has a vertical progression on the front surface and a horizontal progression on the rear. Hoya argue (along the lines of your argument) that the closer back surface gives a wider reading zone and the further-away front surface progression helps to shorrten the corridor. This lens is also designed around Listing's Plane (which describes the eyes'movement rotationally). Just double check your information on the SolaOne. I think that you may find that SolaOne is only a back surface progressive in the 1.67 material.
    I hope that this is of some help Frayli.

Regards
    David Wilson

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you very much david, i ended up changin to the ipseo before your post and pretty much wrote the same thing :) so im happy i checked this post again before i handed it in. And you are right about the 1.67 back surface only :). Thanks alot for all your guys help i never new this place existed you will probably here more from me if i graduate wish me luck.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sola One is a back surface progressive?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My pleasure Frayli. Good luck.

Hi drk, yes, the SolaOne is a back surface prog (at least in Australia), but only in its 1.67 material.

Regards
    David

CDOT
    Sola offers it in some markets as a free form option (not in Canada yet) but yes state side it is available

Thread Information