Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Steve, what type of music do you listen to?

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well?

Are you a listener or an instrumentalist? What style of music do you fancy?

Granted your eyes as well as Pete's are going to fall out after a few years from LASIK, but it is nice to know you have interests that don't require vision :-)

Just curious,

Darris "I can play 'Largo II' as well as a couple of other Bach tunes in melodics on the banjo." Chambless

PS. I'll bet you play guitar.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Darris,

I'm definitely a 'listener' since I have absolutely no musical talents of my own. I've always wanted to play the guitar (I can still pick the lead to 'Satisfaction' :)), but I've never had the time or patience to learn to play.

As for my musical tastes, the truth is I like almost everything. Lately I've been listening to a lot of traditional jazz from the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s. Do you ever listen to the 'Riverwalk, Live from the Landing' radio show that broadcasts from the Landing Jazz Club in San Antonio? The Jim Cullum Jazz band plays some great traditional jazz compositions. (By the way, Sola's ex-VP Ted Gioia wrote a great book entitled "The History of Jazz." I highly recommend it if you're interested in the subject.)

As I said, I listen to and like almost all types of music. Here's what's I have on my CD changer this week:

• Gerry Rafferty "Greatest Hits" (Mostly because of the song "Right Down the Line" which reminds me of how I feel about my wife.)
    • Cat Stevens "Mona Bone Jakon" (Wonderful song-writing and story telling skills. I've only recently rediscovered Cat Stevens again, having not listened to him for many years.)
    • The Dave Brubeck Quartet "Time Out" (Classisc jazz album with Paul Desmond on alto sax. Smoooooth......)
    • Johannes Linstead "Kiss the Earth" (Fantastic flamenco guitarist! Great album, but his first one was even better - "Sol Luna Tierra".)
    • Sarah McLachlan "Surfacing" (Wonderful voice and songs.)
    • Janis Joplin "Pearl" (Still one of the best female singers of all time. Some of the songs on Pearl are timeless, while others haven't aged as well.)

So what type of music does everyone else like?

------------------
    Steve
    OptiBoard Administrator

[This message has been edited by Steve Machol (edited 07-14-2000).]

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve, I am Rock and Roll to the bone!!! I like Alanis Morrissette, Red Hot Chili Peppers(yea!!!), Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Lenny Kravitz, Jewel. I also like alot of the Classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Janis Joplin, Ac/Dc...I could go on forever. I also like classical music but I don't really listen to it regularly. I used to be able to play the piano, but since I haven't done it in absolutely years I really don't know if I have any musical tallent left. I wanted a guitar and I got a piano! What a major disappointment! My teacher kept saying if I learned the piano I would be able to play the guitar,but as a kid all you see is I got a darn piano. My teacher also would only teach hymns which is fine,but I quickly lost interest. My sister broke her finger and couldn't play for 8 weeks. What an opportunity to quit. Quit I did. That was the end of any rock star aspirations I had! :) I thought this was a pretty good subject!!Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is in to.
    Steph"change that station and die"D

OptiBoard Apprentice

Steve,
    If in fact You are interested I enjoy the soothing sounds of TOOL, NIN, Rage Against The Machine, Tricky, D'Angelo, aperfectcircle, and Apocalyptica just to name a few.

The beauty in music is its ability to elicit emotion, be it melancholy, joy,love... Any emotion in any capacity can be gleaned from music.

Rather Embarassed,

Azthoth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi Darris & Steve & all,
    I like Bach and Bela Fleck, and I like Enya, Rod Stewart, and Sting; I can still sing out loud to Crosby-Stills-Nash & Young. But when I am headed home after a long day dealing with managed care limits and special order delays and people who tell me after the second remake that they didn't like the first three PALs they tried elsewhere...I put Jonny Lang on the car CD system....way loud..."Lie to Me", "Second Guessing" and "Breakin Me" seem to fit pretty good. :-) (Whenever I try this stuff in the store... my Country-loving Lab staff endures about 2 cuts and then switches over to "a radio station with the weather on it!!"

[This message has been edited by JennyP (edited 07-14-2000).]

Occupation

Good choices Jenny. :) Bela Fleck is great, and I've become a fan of Sting's music as well.

As for Jonny Lang, the kid is simply amazing. I can't believe the skill he has, both as a guitarist and vocalist. I saw an interview with B.B. King who was quoted as saying. "The kid's so good I wish someone would break his fingers!"

------------------
    Steve
    OptiBoard Administrator

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up

Ah give me some nice pink floyd, loud and through the head phones :D . But after a hard day it has got to be easy going music like all the clasic 60,70,80 music (as played by our local station). Ah can feel the stres going already. and i've only just got up. Also my daughter like steps who we have been to see, ah what girls but i wont say any more i might get into trouble

Give the boss a break visit : http://www.thebosssucks.co.uk

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last of the Baby Boomers here. 70's rock and most recently country and big band. Brian Setzer played great swing in the early 80's and we dance to it now. I teach Country Line Dancing (yes, line dancing) and Couples Swing dancing on the side and have grown to love the consistant beat of it all. Oh yeh, also classical about every third blue moon.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Okay Steve,

If you want diversity, I'm the guy. I listen to Blue Grass (prefer the instrumental versions mainly and do actually play the banjo) BUT I don't like country unless it's Willy, Waylon, The Mavericks or Black hawk. For soothing music I like Lady Smith Black Mombaso, harpsichord music, The Pipes and Drums of Ireland, Switched on Bach (done on a Moog synthesizer). For sophisticated entertainment I enjoy Italian Opera. For a more upbeat but soft touch I enjoy Herb Alpert, Frank Mills, Roger Whittaker and Nana Mescuri.

My other personality likes Steeley Dan, Miles Davis, Don McCormick, BB King and Barry White for easy listening. Lynard Skynard, Molly Hatchet, Lonnie Mack and Black Oak Arkansas for the southern stuff. Type O-Negative, Tool, Sound Garden, Stone Temple Pilots and 3 Doors Down for when I'm in a particularly jaunty mood ;-)

Throw in some Jethro Tull, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, James Taylor and Gordon Lightfoot and you have my tastes pretty much in a nutshell :-)

My general preference is more for the really strange or out of the ordinary stuff.

That's my montage :-)

Talk to you later,

Darris "Nazareth is cool too" Chambless

Occupation

Darris,

That's a really great mix of music!

Believe it or not, I was just talking to my wife earlier today about the lack of really good country music on our local radio stations. I specifically mentioned both Willie and Waylon as examples of the type of music I wish they'd play more often.

Many of the others on your lists are also personal favorites of mine - particularly Steely Dan (have you picked up their new CD yet?), B.B. King (I have the new CD with the his collaboration with Eric Clapton), Jetho Tull (I also just picked up Ian Anderson's new CD), and Lynryd Skynyrd. I also like virtually all Blue Grass and Celtic music.

Given your great taste in music, I'll have to check out some of the others on your list that I haven't heard yet.

Other personal favorites on mine are: the Kinks, Natalie Merchant, Paul Simon, the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (the Monty Python of rock-n-roll), Phish, Love (the 60s group), Frank Zappa, and of course almost everything by the Beatles, Stones and Dylan.

------------------
    Steve
    OptiBoard Administrator

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Oh Steve, I was hoping that nobody would ever bring up the subject of music on this board, because it's something close to my heart, then you pulled my whistle when you mentioned the latest Steely Dan CD, because for me, the final number on this disc has to be one of the most exciting, unrehearsed, improvised pieces of recording I've heard in a long time. Just go back and listen to the last 3 or 4 minutes.... the guys don't know how to bring it to an end, it's the sort of piece that I keep repeating.... great stuff even if all their work sounds similar, and nice to see them back together again.

What's interesting is that these gems do often happen during a studio session, but unless the 'take' is intended to be freestyle improvisation, it usually never sees the light of day.

I've worked a bit in studios, my musical career started with the 5 string Banjo!.. country style, I also mess around with the guitar, (I have five of them) but keyboards are my main love (I've lost count how many I have, and where they all are !!!)

I find most of the work I do these days comes out of a synth..... a real shame... but for pure enjoyment my 100 year old harmonium is my favourite instrument, a bit difficult to take along to a gig, it's 7 feet high, with mirrors, brass candle holders etc....but, I have done it once.

I do enjoy listening to every type of music, just this week I was at two varied concerts,
    I heard Verdi's Requiem... mind blowing stuff...the full orchestra with 2 choirs and just yesterday, a trip back in time with the original 'Blues Brothers'.... what a rocking band, mature guys who still know how to sing and play and get an audience moving.

I sometimes wonder if music is more important to me than optics, and I think the answer could be 'YES'.... How about an Optic Music Board?

Best, Clive

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation

Bonzo Dog Dooda? I can't believe anybody else remembers them. Amen to the King/Clapton CD. For some extremely mellow listening I recommend "Duets" with Pat Metheny and Jim Hall.

How about Pheobe Snow, Diana Krawl or Andrea Bocelli?

Occupation

Originally posted by mikeh:
    Bonzo Dog Dooda? I can't believe anybody else remembers them.
    Are you kidding?! I've got the 'Bonzo Dog Band Cornology' which is a 3-CD set including all 5 Bonzo albums, plus some solo work by Viv Stanshall, Neil Innes and Roger Spear. My wife, who usually hates the music I play, absolutely loves the Bonzo 'Look Out There's a Monster Coming' song. One of my favorites in this box set is a rare recording of 'Labio-Dental Fricative' by the Viv Stanshall Sean Head Showband, featuring Eric Clapton on lead guitar!

Amen to the King/Clapton CD. For some extremely mellow listening I recommend "Duets" with Pat Metheny and Jim Hall.
    I haven't listened to the King/Clapton CD yet. It's on my next set of CD to go into my changer. I'm looking forward to it.

How about Pheobe Snow, Diana Krawl or Andrea Bocelli?
    Is Pheobe still recording? I haven't heard of her in a long time. I've heard some Diana Krawl on the radio, and I like what I've heard. Which of her CDs do you recommend?

------------------
    Steve
    OptiBoard Administrator

[This message has been edited by Steve Machol (edited 07-16-2000).]

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Wow, what a wide range of stuff. I am embarrased to admit I have not even heard of some of it. Being a child of the 80's alot of that music is still my favorite although I tend to like the stuff that wasn't as mainstream. Like Stan Ridgeway or Peter Murphy. As I am getting older, I find myself listening to stuff I never thought I would-I never cared for country but enjoy some of it now. I seem to be going through a mid life crisis because lately I have been listening to more house and rap music. My hubby is always making fun of me-calling me a hoochie mama. Might as well shake it while I still can!

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Redhot Jumper

I don't think I've seen mention of the greatest band of all time (i.e., The Eagles).
    My musical tastes are also kinda ecclectic:
    • Sting / Police
    • Billy Joel
    • Fourplay (Jazz Group)
    • Andreas Vollenwieder (sp? New Age Stuff)
    • Van Halen (their older stuff, with David Lee)
    • Spyro Gyro
    • Tchaikovsky
    • Duran Duran (an MTV band if there ever was one)
    • Don Henley
    • Natalie Cole (oh yeah... especially when she does older tunes)

In addition, I like one particular country singer that I'm sure no one here has heard of: Tom T. Hall. Oh, and "Alice's Restaurant" has always been a fav of mine...

Pete "Gotta be a juke-box-hero" Hanlin
    P.S.- I play keyboard and Coronet... we could put an OptiBoard band together- called the "Chromatic Aberrations"

[This message has been edited by Pete Hanlin (edited 07-19-2000).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hey Pete,

"As a matter of fact I like beer." And it does tend to make me a jolly good fellow :-)

I like the "Chromatic Abberations" as a band name but for the specific types of musice let's try: Rock = "Addicted to Alloy" or "The Master Cylinders." Jazz = "Coma Cronolgy." Punk = "Panto and the Groovers" or "Myodisk."
    Easy listening = "Milton and the Multifocals." And of course Opera = "Borish and the Three Baretones." How's that for a line up? :-)

So how'd the A/C work?

Darris "The James Gang rules" Chambless

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Wow! Sure is alot of diversity in musical tastes here. I see now that I do need to expand my listening some. I too am a child of 80's music and still tend to listen to it when I can find it on the radio. Of course, I do like the dreaded country/western. The older stuff mostly though. That's what I grew up on. And, who can foget the great Ray Stevens? I still laugh whenever I hear his stuff.
    As for Tom T. Hall.... what about "Sneaky Snake goes dancing, wiggling, and a hissing."
    Suzy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Pete! Love your idea of an optiboard band. Love the name even more!!! I have been trying to get my co-workers together to make a band. Afterall, you don't even need to be able to sing to make it in todays world. Even if we only had one hit we could be set for life if we play our cards right!!LOL!! Wow! You like Duran Duran?! You are probably the first guy I have ever heard admit to it. I still like to listen to them. I also really like the Eagles. And let's not forget Meatloaf!! Still can't resist pumping up the volume for "paradise by the dashboard light"!!Give me a holler if you decide to get the chromatic abberations together. Maybe I can get those piano skills brushed up on. Surely after 20 years I can still play!!LOL
    Have a great day!!
    Steph

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thumbs up

Clive said:
    "...but for pure enjoyment my 100 year old harmonium is my favourite instrument, a bit difficult to take along to a gig, it's 7 feet high, with mirrors, brass candle holders etc....but, I have done it once..."
    Are you speaking of the same instrument invented by Benjamin Franklin, composed of various crystal bowls which are spun through water and played like wine glasses??? I've read and seen documentaries on this instrument, but I would have never supposed that someone on OptiBoard actually OWNED one! Tell us more about yours, I'm fascinated.

Pete "Too bad harmoniums were banned when they got a reputation for creating mental illness in people..." Hanlin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi Pete!! I came up with some more songs for our CD! "Facecheese! What is it good for?" sung to the tune of "War". And for our heavy metal hit "Dude are your eyes dilated". How about "Sorry, that warranty is expired". Then "I am an optician not a magician" LOL!!
    I think I'll come help you get those swatches so then we'll both have something to do!!! HAHAHAHA!
    Have a great day!
    Steph

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thumbs up

Okay, I'm listening to some 80's music on the radio while driving to work (thank God my A/C is working again...), and I feel we HAVE to recognize at least a few other good (if not truly great) bands:
    • The Cars
    • A Flock of Seagulls
    • Devo
    • Men at Work
    • Toto
    • Dixie's Midnight Runners (okay, what song am I thinking of here... its the personification of the 80's)

Pete "'A Little Bit of Heart and Soul' is playin on the radio here at the office" Hanlin
    PS- I'll have to work on lyrics for the Facecheese song... but Darris would probably do better... and Duran Duran WAS a great group (but "Barbarella" was a bit out there if you have the track ;) ).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete, that was also a great line up of 80's bands. How about Prince, Queen,Culture Club,U2,and the Eurythmics? Ahhh this could go on forever. The 80's had some phenomenal music. We have a radio station that does way back Wed. They announced that they were going to stop doing it and they said they had never had so many letters, e-mails, or telephone calls. I can imagine why. It's one of the reasons why I am still lab tech!!! We have a rule at work that the lab tech gets to decide what radio station is on. So since I don't like much else besides rock, I really don't think I could stand leaving. Besides the fact that I love being a lab rat.
    Working on those lyrics as we speak!
    Let me see...Could you have possibly been listening to "Come on Eileen"? What about "Superfreak" by Rick James. I don't even think Wayback Wed would even really be complete without "Superfreak"!!!
    Have a great day!
    Steph"80's music was the greatest"D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Yes, a great retro selection from everyone. As we have an FM station in town that plays these tunes every night from 8 til midnight, it is a bit passe.

I still listen to and thoroughly enjoy punk from the mid and late '80's.

The Exploited, Dead Kennedy's, Monk's, and even some Sex Pistols.

I personally can't get enough DK, especially in the morning to get me going for the day (well, not anymore; maybe 3-5 years ago, I am no longer a twenty something...)

------------------
    Shwing;-}

Occupation
    Optical Retail

"

Are you speaking of the same instrument invented by Benjamin Franklin, composed of various crystal bowls which are spun through water and played like wine glasses??? I've read and seen documentaries on this instrument, but I would have never supposed that someone on OptiBoard actually OWNED one! Tell us more about yours, I'm fascinated."
    Hi Pete, No crystal bowls here, just a lot of wood, metal and either ivory or highly polished white wood.... this harmonium of mine is basically a reed organ with two foot pedals that you pump.
    This generates air which is passed through the reeds when you press the keys.

There are also ten 'stops' which give a variety of sounds, like extra bass and doubling up on the notes, an octave higher etc.
    There's also 2 'knee expanders' which increase the volume.

It was made by Estey organ Co. in Brattleboro Vt, and was shipped to the UK where it sat for about 90 years in a Welsh Chapel.

Fortunately (for me) the chapel decided to go electric in 1974... Yamaha or Casio so I believe and this beautiful piece of musical history was dumped in a secondhand shop.

We were in Wales for a long weekend and I passed this shop, there was a piece of paper stuck on the keyboard saying 30 and it was all in working order.

I asked the young lady if this was thirty pounds, she thought it might be and was a bit vague as she had only started that day, so I hastily gave her 30 pounds and as quick as I could, attached it to the roof of my Volvo station wagon and drove out of Wales as fast as I could.

It's a shame we can't upload jpgs to this board.... anyway, that's the story

All best, Clive

p.s....

Sorry to inflict on you more names for our new musical group, but how about:::

Bo Fical and the Seg Tops

X.O and the 4-Ears

Annie Seikonik and the Slab-Offs

Ess-Ferric and the 3-Charniers

Mack Ulla and the Blind Spots

That's enough.... when we get the group organised maybe we can record on a Placido Disk...

It's getting really bad now...so I'm outahere

Later.....

[This message has been edited by Clive Noble (edited 07-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Clive Noble (edited 07-20-2000).]

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Thumbs up

Having started my life as a "Lab Rat" (said proudly) I can't believe it took this long before the music thread came up. Now on to what's within reach of the CD player as I speak (type).

Beck - Odelay
    Thomas Dobly - Flat Earth, Astronauts & Heretics
    Harry Connick, Jr. - She
    Guadalcanal Diary - 2 x 4
    Smithereens - 11
    Parliaments Greatest Hits
    10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe
    The Lightning Seeds - cloudcuckooland
    Happy Mondays - Pills 'N Thrills
    Yaz - Upstairs At Eric's
    John Mellencamp - The Best That I Could Do 1978-1988
    The Sundays - Static & Silence
    Santana - Supernatural
    Shanbaum - Innovations

The following soundtracks
    Trainspotting
    Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    Brainscan
    You've Got Mail
    Sopranos

And what's spinning right now........Kid Rock. If you ever want to block out all distractions and get some work done, give this last one a try. And I'm thirty something, White Collar & intelligent!

Have fun & listen to 'em, if you've got 'em.

[This message has been edited by Rex (edited 07-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rex (edited 07-28-2000).]

Thread Information