Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So Steve, what type of music do you listen to?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin:
    Clive said:
    Are you speaking of the same instrument invented by Benjamin Franklin, composed of various crystal bowls which are spun through water and played like wine glasses??? I've read and seen documentaries on this instrument, but I would have never supposed that someone on OptiBoard actually OWNED one! Tell us more about yours, I'm fascinated.

Pete "Too bad harmoniums were banned when they got a reputation for creating mental illness in people..." Hanlin

Pete-are you speaking perhaps of the virginal-no pun or double entendre intended-I believe Queen Elizabeth the 1st used to play it and it sound like it might have been similar

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My husband is starting up a Who tribute band...looking for a singer. Any Roger Daltry wannabes out there?
    BTW Steph, my cousin used to play bass for Meatloaf for many years, touring in the US and all over Europe. They're HUGE in Europe!(no pun intended...Meat has lost alot of weight!)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Pete, perhaps you're thinkling of the glass harmonica (also called the armonica) invented by Franklin. Take a look at www.glassarmonica.com

Mike

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

I guess I would like to say that any music is good as long as it contains one thing and that one thing is HEART

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Ah, the "armonica" it is! I suppose I saw the similar spelling and it triggered a faulty memory...

Thanks for the website info, though!

Pete

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Did anyone notice the last post by arist in my CD collection? It's by one of our own.

Rex

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Caroline, How cool is that!!!! He is one of my all time favorites!!! I just can't help myself. He has a style that is all his own and I think it is so addictive. When Bat out of hell 2 came out I heard "I would do anything for love" once on the radio and went and bought the tape the very next day. I watched the movie on vh1 about his life story and thought it was great. That was the only way I knew they were still big in Europe. I had no idea he still even played. Well if you hear of them coming to USA anywhere near the Nashville area give me a holler. They are definately one band I have got to see in concert. Thanks so much for sharing that with me!!!!
    Have a great day!!
    Steph

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile

Originally posted by Rex:
    Did anyone notice the last post by arist in my CD collection? It's by one of our own.

Rex
    Ooh, sorry, I never looked in the "just conversation" forum before - I'm humbled to be listed amongst such luminaries, even if it is tongue-in-cheek - after all, they made me remove the audio tracks from the Innovations CD. Maybe I can sneak some back on, now that everyone's a bit distracted...

BTW, "The Corrs" is more-or-less permanently installed in my CD drive; every once in a while I'll substitute "Talk On Corners" (also the Corrs), "Surfacing" by Sarah McLaughlin (still waiting for the sequel, "Finishing"), one of the Paula Cole albums, or Santana's latest.

For me, the strangest thing about modern pop music is that my college-age kids are listening to a lot of the same stuff to which I listened when I was in college - now 30 years past. Well, no, I just remembered hearing "Sugar, Sugar" (the Archies?) on the radio the other day. I would have bet very heavily against that.

Occupation

Originally posted by shanbaum:
    <FONT COLOR=#FF0000> Ooh, sorry, I never looked in the "just conversation" forum before - I'm humbled to be listed amongst such luminaries, even if it is tongue-in-cheek - after all, they made me remove the audio tracks from the Innovations CD.</FONT>
    I missed Rex's reference to this CD as well. So I guess my next question is, what is this 'Innovations' CD? My curiousity is peaked.

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile

Originally posted by Steve Machol:
    I missed Rex's reference to this CD as well. So I guess my next question is, what is this 'Innovations' CD? My curiousity is peaked.
    ...not a great reflection on the marketing efforts of a certain company that shall remain nameless (which as I think about it, could save on signage alterations).

You know - lab software? Son of RxCalc?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy

Anyone else old and wild enough to be a
    Richard Pennyman (Little Richard) Antone (Fats) Domino, Jimmy Reed, (the killer) Jerry Lee Lewis, Micky & Silvia, 1950's freak?

Hope I am not the only one this old.

Nobody remember Dead man's Curve, Jim Dandy,
    Rip it up, an stuff like that?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

How about:
    • Honeycomb
    • Tan Shoes and Pink Shoelaces
    • A White Sports Coat
    • We're Gonna Sink the Bismark
    • Secret Agent Man (on my list of worst ten ever produced songs)
    • Mustang Sally
    • Where Were You on Our Wedding Day?
    • Beep Beep

I know some of the titles aren't right, but I know lots of old stuff, Chip (forced to, my dad listened to it all the time).

Pete "in the year 2525" Hanlin

OptiBoard Novice

Redhot Jumper

If you're looking for an awesome cd, go out and get Kina's 'Girl From The Gutter'. It is loaded with incredible vocals, smart writting and beautiful porduction. It's almost like Sarah McLachlan, Dido and Macy Gray bunched into one. I just can't get enough of Kina, I've seen her in concert twice (once on her own in an intimate 50-person club setting, the other opening for Savage Garden).
    If you're in the mood for dance m,usic, pick up Kristine W's fantastic soiphmore CD, "Stronger". Loaded with future hits, her vocals are amazing. From ballads to disco to full-on dance tracks, she covers it all.
    Oh well, I should go back to work.

------------------
    jason Boucher
    Practice Manager
    Cambridge Hospital Eye Center
    Eye Consultants of Cambridge

Bad address email on file Don Lee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm a professional musician. I really like straight ahead jazz and classical music. My favorite jazz is anything by the Bill Evans Trio with Scott LaFaro.

Don

Occupation
    Wow Don - you really resurrected an old thread!

Did you see Ken Burns Jazz series on PBS? Even since then I've been listening to a lot of Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke, Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman. I've become a big jan of early
    Jazz from the 20s and 30s.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I can't believe I missed this thread...

I can't believe I missed this thread...I think it was happening while I was driving across country with "the boys".

No one mentioned the Moody Blues which surprised me.Dave Brubeck's Jazz Red Hot and Cool is also a take Steve, as is Time Further Out.Early Joan Baez will show you a much better voice.And while on the folk scene....Buffy St Marie has written and sung some classic stuff.Both she and Taj Mahal were classmates of mine at UMass and used to perform occasionally in the SU on Sundays.

Someone mentioned Fats Domino a while back-I used to pride myself on owning every album he ever made.
    Donovan has a considerable talent.To rouse things up around St Patrick's Day try the Clancy Bros with the poet Tommy Makem, and recently I've discovered Christy Moore and Phil Coulter.

I could go on and on but its time for someone else.Great thread professor! hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Wow Don - you really resurrected an old thread!

Did you see Ken Burns Jazz series on PBS? Even since then I've been listening to a lot of Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke, Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman. I've become a big jan of early
    Jazz from the 20s and 30s.
    I didn't even look at the date. It was in my 'view posts from the last 24 hr'. I thought it was recent.

The music of the 20's and 30's is great. But it's very difficult to get musicians to play in those styles. The younger musicians want to sound like Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, or Maynard Ferguson.

I was really disappointed with the Ken Burns thing. He's so dramatic and, like Oliver Stone, won't let facts get in the way of what he really wants to achieve. He made things that just happened sound like carefully planned actions. There was nothing about Bill Evans incredible contributions only his name in passing.

I've got a great spoof called "Ken Burns and the making of the Empire State Bldg." If anyone would like to have a copy email me off list.

Don
    Last edited by Don Lee; 12-18-2001 at 01:34 PM.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Actually Steve when I first saw the topic I thought man Darris must be bored again. Then I realized it wasn't him that brought this topic back! LOL!!! Of course it wouldn't have surprised me if Darris had started it again.

Steph

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Wink Sangeet

The Word for Music in Sanskrit, and all languages originating from it is Sangeet.
    I feel, one's life has a galaxy size void and is incomplete if he has never heard Indian (Hindusthani, not Red Indian) Music.
    The Legendry contemporary artists are: Pandit Bhimsen Joshi,( Vocal) Pt. Ravi Shankar, ( Sitar) Pt. Shivkumar Sharma( Santoor)
    Ustad Zakir Husain ( Tabla). Ut. Bismillah Khan( Shehnai) Pt. Hariprasad Chourasiya ( Bamboo Flute, Horizontal)
    Names in parenthisis is the Instrument they play.
    The light music in India has blazzing one and only Lata Mangeshkar, her sister,vibrant Asha Bhosale .
    You can start a conversation with any Indian in any mood saying how he likes Lata Mangeshkar.
    I am not used to listen to Western music. I find it too much noicy.
    Altough I like, Gone With the Wind music and songs very much.
    Indian music is soothing and takes you near to the harmony of the Nature and sypmhonies give you a sense of deep satisfaction and eternal peace.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Sangeet

Originally posted by sandeepgoodbole
    I feel, one's life has a galaxy size void and is incomplete if he has never heard Indian (Hindusthani, not Red Indian) Music.
    I heard Ravi Shankars Concerto for Sitar and Orchestra in Kansas City around 1985. Ustad Zakir Husain (Tabla) accompanied him. Please don't take offense, but I could have gone my entire life without having heard it. That goes for the other Sangeet I've heard before hand and afterward. I don't care for the timbre of the instruments and, although the rhythms are interesting, the music leaves me empty, on edge, and wishing I were somewhere else.

My wife says the same thing about the jazz I play.

I can't stand Country and Western but, like most music, will play it only if it pays very well.

Don

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Do

Originally posted by Don Lee

I heard Ravi Shankars Concerto for Sitar and Orchestra in Kansas City around 1985. Ustad Zakir Husain (Tabla) accompanied him. Please don't take offense, but I could have gone my entire life without having heard it. That goes for the other Sangeet I've heard before hand and afterward. I don't care for the timbre of the instruments and, although the rhythms are interesting, the music leaves me empty, on edge, and wishing I were somewhere else.

My wife says the same thing about the jazz I play.

I can't stand Country and Western but, like most music, will play it only if it pays very well.

Don
    Don,
    I think, along with a performing Optician, you are an performing artist as well that's great !! I would like to listen to your music if you can send it as an file attachment with email.
    I Agree to what you have said.
    A proverb in Marathi says "Apla to Babya Dusryache te Karte"
    Meaning,People feel their own son as Cutest while elses's children are ugly ducks !I am sorry, I did n't intended to say anything like that.
    With music,some times, it's Love at first sight. Some times it grows with snails speed.
    Some times it just cann't concieve.
    Same thing is applicable to our relationship with music.
    India like other diversities, has Musical types so different that your experiance just narrets story of lovers of Hindusthani and Karnataki patterns . These two types have such a different prsenatation that it's difficult to find a person who loves both.
    Joy one gets from his favorite music cannot be differntiated as it's totally subjective, and cannot be compaired. I beg your pardon for I had unknwoingly expressed how much I love my favorates and probabaly tried to impose my likings on others.
    Ones it has happened that I purchased aan Audio cassette. Listened it for few minutes didn't liked it and it was lost in the crwod of my music hardware.Two years later,one day,I happened to enter the house when my sister had just left forgetting to put off the music, and the same cassette was running. I was exausted, and just went and dumped my self on the swing
    in the living room. After a while,I felt that the music was really something and I replyed the cassette thrice ! and that music is my favorite one for ever now.
    It's Asha Bhosale's "Abshar-E- Gazal".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have any sound files. I'll see what I can do.

Don

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Along with a ton of what's already been mentioned here I am just going to add Little Feat and Stevie Ray Vaughn to the list.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Jo
    Along with a ton of what's already been mentioned here I am just going to add Little Feat and Stevie Ray Vaughn to the list.
    Is Little Feat still around? That was George Lowells group wasn't it? I think I've got an album called 'Feats Don't Fail Me Now".

Don

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think they've gone into musical limbo with Fish.

Thread Information