Thread: Football in perspective...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Football in perspective...

I don't usually go in for sentimentality over situations that do not affect me personally.

That admitted, although I didn't know Coach Dungy's son, I do have children myself. I cannot imagine any call more life changing or devastating than the one Tony Dungy and his wife received yesterday morning. What do you do with that kind of news or that kind of moment (I sincerely hope I personally never find out)?

Further, it just mystifies why anyone would decide that ending his or her life was the best option at the moment. I just don't understand the mathematics of an equation that leaves one feeling the answer is to simply no longer live (again, I'm hoping that equation never does make any sense to me personally).

In the end, I suppose the events of the last couple days just take the air out of anyone who knew Tony Dungy personally, or simply a fan like me who rooted for his efforts at work. Here's hoping the Dungy family can come to peace with recent events and move on with their lives.

As for the Colts, I would be lying if I said I wouldn't still be getting wrapped up in their playoff journey. But, no matter what their ultimate acheivement, some of the magic of the season just disappeared.

May the peace that passes all understanding be with the Dungy's this holiday season and through the years to come...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My sentiments too! Suicide is the most selfish act one can perform, and the ones left behind are never the same again.
    the tradgedy is that given tha passage of another 15 min the outcome could have been different. The loved ones are left thinking there must have been something they could have done to prevent it.They carry that thought with them till the end. My brother's suicide was devastating to us all, particularly my parents. I don't care what the words say on my dad's death certificate, I know what the real cause was. Its just awful.My heart goes out to the Dungy's.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information