Thread: Help! New Rx vs. old Rx

OptiBoard Novice

Help! New Rx vs. old Rx

I have a question about my new Rx. It is: OD -1.50 +.50 X50 1^BU OS -1.00 +1.00 X65 1/2^ BD. And my old Rx (two years old) is: OD –1.00 -.50 X145 1^BD OS -.50 –1.25 X155 1^BU (I know that one is in plus cylinder and one is in minus cylinder) My question is why are the prisms different in the two Rx’s? I had an operation to correct amblyopia in my left eye when I was a child and am left with my eye deviating up (hypertropia) a little so I understand the need for prism. But why then are the prisms going in different directions in the tow prescriptions? And if one of the prescriptions is wrong, witch one?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's a great question, that can only be answered by the examining doctor!

Luzerne Optical Laboratories
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the prisms because they are vertical, were going in the same direction they would cancel each other. You would have no prism.

OptiBoard Novice
    But why are they going in diff directions in the two Rx's? Old Rx is OD: DB and OS: BU and on the new Rx ir is OD: BU and OS: BD? When my left eye is deviating up? What prism do you think should be in my left eye?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    But why are they going in diff directions in the two Rx's? Old Rx is OD: DB and OS: BU and on the new Rx ir is OD: BU and OS: BD? When my left eye is deviating up? What prism do you think should be in my left eye?
    There is only one person who can answer that question - the prescriber

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    That's a great question, that can only be answered by the examining doctor!
    In other words don't fill it until the Rx is confirmed by your doctor.

The old Rx is probably contains a typo - I wouldn't think you would put a base up prism in a hyperphoric/tropic eye.

Hope this helps
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoardaholic
    Martellaro is correct. We won't be able to fully answer your questions without examining your eyes, so definately listen to the prescribing doctor. However, with what you have said there is enough information to say that your prescription could have a typographical type error. If your left eye truly does deviate up, I have my doubts about your new glasses Rx. Before you get your glasses made, ask the prescribing doctor to varify that everything was written correctly. Every now and then even the professionals make small errors.

Either way, it isn't alot of prism so no harm done.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did you show the new doctor the old rx? I would check back with the new doctor and if you didn't show him the old rx make sure to do so.

OptiBoard Novice
    I didn't have my old Rx but a tech. neutralized my glasses, so they knew form that. Unless the tech. wrote it down wrong. And I did bring up the prism issue with the Optician and she didn't think it was a big deal, she said it didn't matter what direction they went in. I paid $120 to see the Opthalmologist, I gess I need to go down and talk to him again and figure this out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didn't have my old Rx but a tech. neutralized my glasses, so they knew form that. Unless the tech. wrote it down wrong. And I did bring up the prism issue with the Optician and she didn't think it was a big deal, she said it didn't matter what direction they went in. I paid $120 to see the Opthalmologist, I gess I need to go down and talk to him again and figure this out.
    That's a great idea. I hope it is easily resolved.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Prism direction makes all the difference in the world. So do all the other specifications in your prescription. Nothing is insignificant. Your doctor should be willing to verify if your glasses were fabricated incorrectly. (Personally, I think this service should be provided at no additional cost, but you will have to check with your provider.)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the future if you go to a new doctor I suggest you take a copy of rx with you. It is easy to misread prism in glasses if you aren't expert at it.

Go back or call the new doctor's office and tell them that the prism is backwards in the new rx from what is in your old prescription. Don't get it filled until it is straightened out.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It looks to me like someone made a mistake. Could be either the 1st prescriber or the 2nd, and if they are the same, I'm sure of it.

Anyway, if you have amblyopia it might not even matter. Did you get the Rx made, or not? Was it a problem? If you can't tell a difference, then BOTH were mistakes and you don't even need prism...

w.stacy, o.d.

Thread Information