Thread: Glaucoma, nutrition, and neuro-protection

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Glaucoma, nutrition, and neuro-protection

I don't think this topic has been covered here before. Anyone interested in sharing what they have learned or what they practice in this area?

The longer I practice, and the older my patient population naturally gets, the more I see compromised optic nerves; often without elevated pressure.

As in so many other areas of health and disease, it often comes down to good diet and exercise. Any practical suggestions?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    What do you mean by "compromised optic nerves." Either they have low tension glaucoma or some other type of optic neuropathy eg: non-arteritic ischemic optic neuropathy. Naturally, visual field testing, stereo photos, pachymetry, gonioscopy and IOP testing are all critical for a diagnosis of glaucoma. However, if the problem were inflammatory it would result in different visual field changes and possibly may be secondary to a systemic inflammatory disease (you would need to have this worked up with blood testing). I am not aware of any "neuroprotective" regimen for optic nerve disease.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh
    What do you mean by "compromised optic nerves." Either they have low tension glaucoma or some other type of optic neuropathy eg: non-arteritic ischemic optic neuropathy. Naturally, visual field testing, stereo photos, pachymetry, gonioscopy and IOP testing are all critical for a diagnosis of glaucoma. However, if the problem were inflammatory it would result in different visual field changes and possibly may be secondary to a systemic inflammatory disease (you would need to have this worked up with blood testing). I am not aware of any "neuroprotective" regimen for optic nerve disease.
    I was referring to low tension glaucoma. I didn't coin the phrase "neuroprotective". It is often referred to in the literature, and nutritional and excercise regimen have been cited. Of course the key is increased blood flow to the NFL, whether by decreasing IOP or by increasing the actual blood flow itself.

Thread Information