Thread: Media player won't play on a web page

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Media player won't play on a web page

Media player won't play video that is on a web page. I have the latest player, the only way i can play something is to get its properties and go to the web site directly then the media player opens and plays properly. Any thoughts?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    If you have Windows Media Player Version 10 and it still won't play, that's a toughie. It probably has to do with a codec issue (codecs are used to render video and audio files). I'm not an expert or anything, but if you type in codecs and do a search, you may be able to find an install pac that may resolve.

Caveat, however, installing too many codecs can screw up the ones you have (this is why I'm glad Essilor has an IT department- they're good at stuff like this).

Good luck,
    Pete

PS- It could also have something to do with the security settings on your browswer (or, if you have a pop-up blocker, that could be it as well).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    in the options - there are streaming options. to get to the options menu - turn the skin off (Ctrl-1), and follow the options tag

ensure that the download codec's box is ticked

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What browser, what OS, and what version of both? If it's IE, it's probably some ActiveX problem--either security settings or it's just flat broken. It's not the media player, since you can play the video independently. If you're running a still-supported version of Windows (2000 or XP), Windows Update may or may not fix it, but it's a start.

Next step would be security settings, again if you're running IE. Check to make sure you're not set at "High" for general Internet pages. "Medium-High" may give you problems, too. If it's a site in particular you're trying to get the streaming video from, add it to your trusted list or lower your settings to "Medium" (wouldn't recommend any lower than that!) to see if that does it. Sometimes custom mucking-around-with in the ActiveX settings can break it, too.

If you're running Firefox, make sure that Media Player (or whatever your default player may be) has its plugin installed. I'd tell you where you could easily and simply find it, but I can't seem to find anything about plugins in my install of Firefox. Eh, they'll probably sort it out next version. This, by the way, is one of the several reasons I don't use Firefox if I can help it.

I don't know if that's any help at all, but it's something.

OptiBoard Novice

Cannot play videos embedded in web pages.

hey guys,

I know this thread is about a year old, but i was wondering, maybe you can help...

I have a Windows XP home edition desktop and i have recently had this problem: when i go to video pages, such as www.cnn.com, or www.badtree.com and wanna play videos, the player (real player and windows media player) won't play it, in ANY browser (IE, Firefox, Netscape 7.1, real browser, advant browser...) but the videos are great when playing a file from my hard drive. Also, the links are not broken, since i can access them from my laptop...
    I tried DLing some codecs, it worked for a split second, then i tried playing it again and it found an error: "The plug-in has performed an illegal operation and must close. You are strongly advised to restart your browser" (then sometimes it happenes that "firefox encounters a problem and must close", so i have to end it in the task manager and restart it manually).

I am at a loss what to do with this problem. My mom thinks it is a missing DLL, but I cannot identify what DLL... I already DLed a bunch of codecs form the microsoft website, but the problem is persistant.

any ideas?

thanks bunches

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This could be a firewall issue. some websites use a server with HTTP streaming, your firewall port settings might not allow this. temporarily disable windows firewall and any other firewalls you have, try the site and see if that is the issue, but remember to ebable the firewall again. If it is a firewall issue, you will need to work through your port settings

You might have a digital rights management issue

you might be missing a codec, or your media player is looking in the wrong place for a codec

does the error message give you a code? like this code:C00D0FD6 or this code: 80040241?

If you let me know the code, I will tell you (possibly) what the problem is

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No error message at all. the problem is --when a video should be playing, example-like a clicking on video on the CNN news site. The sound of the video works fine but the player is just playing a green screen. Everything looks and acts normal on the player screen, -the play, pause buttons,etc.buttons, the progress arrow moves across as the video would be proceeding, there is sound -except the the video just plays a green screen, no video. If its a video that I can right click on the green screen and go to properties, then copy the site address of the video, go to that site. Then windows media player will open the video and play video and sound just fine. If someone sends me a video attachment, they open fine too. I use windows xp home, sp2. Its only just over a year old computer. bye the way obviously this problem is just a number of months old. It used to be just fine. thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try this:

Open Windows Media Player.
    1. Click "Tools" and chose "Options."
    2. Choose the "Performance" tab.
    3. Click the "Advanced" button.
    4. Remove the check from next to "Use YUV flipping."
    5. Click "OK" twice.
    or this:

Lower Hardware Acceleration

Lowering your computer's hardware acceleration may provide a temporary solution.

To lower hardware acceleration:

1. Click the Start button, select Settings, then click Control Panel. For Windows® XP, click Start, then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click the Display icon.
    3. Click the Settings tab.
    4. Click the Advanced button.
    5. Click the Troubleshoot tab.
    6. Lower the Hardware acceleration by moving the slider one or more notches to the left, then click the Apply button. Moving the slider all the way to the left will disable hardware acceleration.
    7. Click the OK button.
    8. Click the Color quality drop-down menu, select High Color or Medium (16 bit) by clicking it, then click the Apply button.
    9. Click the OK button. The new desktop settings will be applied.
    10. Click the Yes button to accept the changes.
    11. Click the OK button.

Or try this

update your vidio driver, and update your media player
    Last edited by QDO1; 01-08-2006 at 04:50 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    did that fix it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tried the first fix of your 2 offered, the YUV was checked already, I unchecked it, re-checked it and hit ok. Restarted thecptr. and --it still didn't work. Any other ideas??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sounds like it only happens on HTTP streamed sites... I would have a look at your firewall, look at your router (they have firewalls in too) and perhaps see if you have windows firewall switched on too. I was at a site the otherday resolving a similar problem, they had Norton firewall, Zone alarm, windows firewal and a router firewall, all operating, and they had exactly the same problem as you (and a lot of other problems). I re-programmed the hardware firewall to do what it needed, and disabled and uninstalled the others - and the computer systems started working properly againI will look up your prob on the Tech site I use to see if we overlooked anything silly, like a patch or registry setting

in the options menu of windows media player, look at the network options. ensure the HTTP setting is set to browser,and the "multicast, UDP, HTTP, TCP settings are checked

also - download this codec set :http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm - which is pretty comprehensive, and includes many tested but rarer codecs (download the full version)
    Last edited by QDO1; 01-14-2006 at 08:42 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SOLVED!!! :cheers:

As the problem is about 1 1/2 months old, I did a
    "System Restore" to a date a bit before that. Solved. I feel like I cheated, but.... I guess thats why its available. Its for when, even Optiboarders can't solve it. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Specs
    SOLVED!!! :cheers:

As the problem is about 1 1/2 months old, I did a
    "System Restore" to a date a bit before that. Solved. I feel like I cheated, but.... I guess thats why its available. Its for when, even Optiboarders can't solve it. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
    for future reference it is worth noting that system restore leaves "my documents" folder un touched - so next time if you use it make sure everything you dont want to loose is bundled in there. what happened 1.5 months ago BTW?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only thing I can think of is I installed Microsofts's beta Anti-spyware program. I only realized it after the system restore, because its no longer installed.I haven't added anything else to the computer in a long while. I just don't remember if the problem occured upon that installation because I didn't look at a video on a page right after the install. Just one of those things, someone sent me a page to look at w/video and realized all of a sudden there was a problem. Then saw the problem was on any web page w/video. I'm just glad its done now.

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    This could be a firewall issue. some websites use a server with HTTP streaming, your firewall port settings might not allow this. temporarily disable windows firewall and any other firewalls you have, try the site and see if that is the issue, but remember to ebable the firewall again. If it is a firewall issue, you will need to work through your port settings

my laptop works fine so i dont think my router is messing up my desktop PC

You might have a digital rights management issue

digital right prob: no, it's a free website with free video and no video works no matter what site or browser i use

you might be missing a codec, or your media player is looking in the wrong place for a codec

maybe but i just DLed the new version and it's still now working (and i dont want kazaa codec packs, i hate kazaa)

does the error message give you a code? like this code:C00D0FD6 or this code: 80040241?

there is no error code, lemme upload the image it just says "the plug-in has performed an illegal operation, please restart firefox"

If you let me know the code, I will tell you (possibly) what the problem is
    here is the image of the error: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2...eur_ffox.0.jpg

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie132

my laptop works fine so i dont think my router is messing up my desktop PC

that can happen. a firewall can selectivley block certain ports, IP addresses, ranges etc... so it is possible for you to be able to access one type of web page, but not be able access another type of page, or FTP etc

BTW that download of codecs i mentioned isn't KAZZA, it is just a comprehensive group of tested Codec's. create a system restore point, try the codec's, if you dont like the result, restore back to just before the install, they will be removed

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Specs View Post
    Media player won't play video that is on a web page. I have the latest player, the only way i can play something is to get its properties and go to the web site directly then the media player opens and plays properly. Any thoughts?
    I just had a similar problem. In my case, I could see only the logos at the beginning and end of streaming video and not the video itself!

I upgraded Windows Media Player. No help.

For me, the solution was in Windows Media Player, right click on the upper right hand icon of WMP. You get a menu starting with File. At that top level menu, go down to Tools. Select that and Options under it. Now you'll see a tabbed set of menus. Choose the Network tab. Uncheck the UDP protocol.

Apparently, some ISPs, and firewalls handle the UDP protocol incorrectly, causing this error.

See Problems Streaming Content with Windows Media Player in the microsoft.com knoledgebase, article 307650.

Thread Information