Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Base curve in eyeglass prescription

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question Base curve in eyeglass prescription

I recently had some eyeglasses made and while wearing them for two weeks I experienced constant headaches. I went to my Optometrist (not where I got the glasses) and he said that I needed a base curve of +3.75 in each lens. The lenses of these new glasses were much flatter---base curve of +2.25 and +1.50. I'm having the glasses redone for free, but my question is: Should this base curve have been specified in my prescription, or should the optician who dispensed the specs have measured the base curve in my current glasses in order that the new ones to be the same? This has never come up before, I've worn corrective lenses for 25 years. Also, the base curve was different in each new lens, was that a mistake? Thanks!

My Rx is :
    OD -5.75 -1.00 005 OS -6.00 -0.75 180 add +1.25 in both

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Base Curve?

Your prescription indicates the same total power in each eye. That is the sph -5.75 added to the cyl - 1.00= -6.75 total for the right eye.

The left eyw is sph -6.00 added to the cyl -.75 = -6.75

The same base curve would have been appropriate in my opinon. However there are many aspects to your new Rx size of frame, material of the lens etc. to consider. The end result should be that you can see without getting headaches. It also sounds like they are making good on remaking them. Hopefully they will get it so that you do not continue to have any problems, and can see perfectly without headaches. It could have been a simple mistake during processing of the prescription.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I am wondering about your Dr's base curve findings. There are several factors he may not have considered. Is the lens aspheric? If so this could acount for the difference between the right and left base curves. Checking an aspheric away from its central portion will give you a bit of an inacurate reading. What is the index of your lenses? A higher index lens does not require as much curvature as a lower index lens. A 6 base in 1.498 index will be steeper than a 6 base in a 1.67. The lens measure used to check base curves is calibrated to 1.50 (or 1.523 I forget). If you use a lens measure to check a lenses base curve it will tell you the refractive power at lens measures index not the actual lenses. I think that the lenses may have been done on the correct base curves they just may have been checked incorrectly.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    I am wondering about your Dr's base curve findings. There are several factors he may not have considered. Is the lens aspheric? If so this could acount for the difference between the right and left base curves. Checking an aspheric away from its central portion will give you a bit of an inacurate reading. What is the index of your lenses? A higher index lens does not require as much curvature as a lower index lens. A 6 base in 1.498 index will be steeper than a 6 base in a 1.67. The lens measure used to check base curves is calibrated to 1.50 (or 1.523 I forget). If you use a lens measure to check a lenses base curve it will tell you the refractive power at lens measures index not the actual lenses. I think that the lenses may have been done on the correct base curves they just may have been checked incorrectly.
    Thank you very much for your replies here. Regarding your first point, the optician at my doc's office was the first to measure the differences in the base curves of the old vs new lenses.

I guess the plot thickens here...well, I'll get my new glasses after Christmas, I hope they're right, and no constant headache! (not fun) Also, the old lenses are progressives, the new weren't, but my eye doc and two opticians at his office swore up and down that the base curve in the new lenses ought to be +3.75. As I said, I've owned several pairs of specs in 25 years, and this has never come up. But, my current glasses are progressives...(love 'em!)
    :)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by catopounce
    My Rx is :
    OD -5.75 -1.00 005 OS -6.00 -0.75 180 add +1.25 in both
    The base curve in myops should ne copied, even if it should be slightly different by the book. Myops having worn lenses with a vertain base curves have gotten used to it and have often a hard time adapting to something else.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    I think a +3.75 BC is pretty steep for -6.00-75 RX. I wonder why the Doctor and Optician are insisting on that.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    there is more than the base curve going on here. with a 1.25 add you are a new(ish) presbyope.. i bet the progressive design and fitting measurements have more to do with your problem than the base curve

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Surface Astigmatism..................

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    there is more than the base curve going on here. with a 1.25 add you are a new(ish) presbyope.. i bet the progressive design and fitting measurements have more to do with your problem than the base curve
    .......of course youii might have a point there too...........there is 60% of distortion on that lens........or as Darryl calls it diplomatically "surface astigmatism"..............which is not going to help.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    .......of course youii might have a point there too...........there is 60% of distortion on that lens........or as Darryl calls it diplomatically "surface astigmatism"..............which is not going to help.
    if you want to be picky - all lenses distort light - thats the function of them. the thing is to decide what distortion you want

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    All I know is that the new glasses (aren't progressives) gave me a continuous headache for two weeks until I stopped wearing them. (My "old" glasses are progressives) I thought I could tough it out and that the headache would go away, but it didn't.
    :hammer:

The new frames are smaller and rectangular, the "old" fames are larger ovals. With the new glasses the vision was great, and for reading I just held the book farther away. (Maybe the fact that the new ones weren't progressive was causing the headache.)

The new lenses will be Varilux Ellipse.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

All I know is that the new glasses (aren't progressives) gave me a continuous headache for two weeks until I stopped wearing them. (My "old" glasses are progressives) I thought I could tough it out and that the headache would go away, but it didn't.
    :hammer:

The new frames are smaller and rectangular, the "old" fames are larger ovals. With the new glasses the vision was great, and for reading I just held the book farther away. (Maybe the fact that the new ones weren't progressive was causing the headache.)

The new lenses will be Varilux Ellipse.
    sounds like you worked the problem out allready! :cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    sounds like you worked the problem out allready! :cheers:
    It seems obvious that it was the absence of progressive lenses was the problem with the new lenses, but my Eye doc didn't say that, nor did the two opticians at his office.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Base Curve

With the power stated a 2 base curve is not by any means ot of the question.

I would think that a 4 curve might be a forced curve with the power you stated.

I dont know why you had 2 curves with a similarly powered lenses. But different curves do not describe your symptoms.

My guess is your base curve is not the problem.

Have your lenses verified by another doctor/Optician

Have them check your pupilary measurement. Also check to make sure the optical centers are in alignment, if they are not you can have unwanted prism.

It possibly might be lens material, but more likely You need a second opinion with your refraction.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    but my question is: Should this base curve have been specified in my prescription, or should the optician who dispensed the specs have measured the base curve in my current glasses in order that the new ones to be the same?
    None of the above. The lab and lens manufacturer should determine the correct BC for any given power and lens design combination. To do otherwise, with few exceptions, will result in a thicker lens with decreased off-axis performance.

Hope this helps,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro
    None of the above. The lab and lens manufacturer should determine the correct BC for any given power and lens design combination. To do otherwise, with few exceptions, will result in a thicker lens with decreased off-axis performance.

Hope this helps,
    although this is the normal scenario, any dispensing optician worth his salt, measures old base curves, and might alsospecify a base curve, knowing the implications of what he is doing

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Base Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro

Hope this helps,
    While that is the optimal choice to let your lab pick the base curve. Not all labs pick the right curve. They can force a curve if say......they dont have the one they need in stock. :finger: Creating exactly your comment unwanted effects.

Thats when I call them back and make them do it right, asking them what does the manufacturer suggest on this.

Opticians should have good knowledge of Base curves and ocular curves relating to lense materials and work shoulder to shoulder with a quality lab.:cheers:

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    While that is the optimal choice to let your lab pick the base curve. Not all labs pick the right curve.
    In that case, they're fired.

Opticians should have good knowledge of Base curves and ocular curves relating to lense materials and work shoulder to shoulder with a quality lab.
    Agreed. To keep it simple, I just tell the lab to use "best form" BCs, and to call me if there is a problem.

Regards,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    although this is the normal scenario, any dispensing optician worth his salt, measures old base curves, and might alsospecify a base curve, knowing the implications of what he is doing
    This is what my Optometrist implied, but I'm certainly getting a lot of different opinions here.
    He didn't say anything about the new glasses NOT being progressives while my old/current ones ARE progressives being the problem.

Athough he originally stated that PAL +1.25 was "optional", as far as I'm concerned, it is not.

I've had many different eyeglasses in 25 years and this has never arisen, which makes me wonder if the lack of Progressives in the new lenses was the real headache cause. I will get the specs after Xmas and let you all know.

PS: I hate to bash Costco, because it's a great store and the staff are treated well, but this problem is one of three I'm afraid I've had with these specs from their Optical dept.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would suggest that you stick with your doctors opinion on the matter, after all we all should only be going to doctors we can trust. The fact that the lenses were on 2 different base curves is not uncommon. As much as you will hear best form and suggestions about base curves, if you were to walk into my dispensary I would use a stock lens for both eyes since they do fall within stock range. By using stock lenses I would eliminate haveing to surface lenses for a simple Rx, however if I was to measure a base curve and it was something that would not be common then Iwould consider matching the base curve. Usually if I do match the curve and it is a curve that I feel does not make the best lens, my goal would be to try and split the difference or at least slowly wean you away from the wrong curve.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just curious as to which location you bought them at and what the other 2 problems were?
    This is what my Optometrist implied, but I'm certainly getting a lot of different opinions here.
    He didn't say anything about the new glasses NOT being progressives while my old/current ones ARE progressives being the problem.

Athough he originally stated that PAL +1.25 was "optional", as far as I'm concerned, it is not.

I've had many different eyeglasses in 25 years and this has never arisen, which makes me wonder if the lack of Progressives in the new lenses was the real headache cause. I will get the specs after Xmas and let you all know.

PS: I hate to bash Costco, because it's a great store and the staff are treated well, but this problem is one of three I'm afraid I've had with these specs from their Optical dept.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Question Single-vision lenses the problem?

Does anyone think that the switch from Progressives +1.25 ("old" glasses) to new single-vision is causing the headaches?

I just picked up another pair of glasses, (ordered before I had headache problem) rimless, with this new single-vision Rx and the headache is there too. Don't know what the base curve on these lenses are.

Will pick up redone glasses with 3.75 base curve AND Progressive lenses on Monday.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Does anyone think that the switch from Progressives +1.25 ("old" glasses) to new single-vision is causing the headaches?

I just picked up another pair of glasses, (ordered before I had headache problem) rimless, with this new single-vision Rx and the headache is there too. Don't know what the base curve on these lenses are.

Will pick up redone glasses with 3.75 base curve AND Progressive lenses on Monday.
    Depends on what the SV Rx was. If it was for near only (calculated from the original Rx plus the add) readers, it shouldn't cause HAs. If it were the distance only, it might, because you'd be trying to read (at least part of the time) with the full distance Rx. Unequal base curves on lenses that are essentially the same power can indeed cause HAs (induced aniseikonia), and can cure HAs that are CAUSED by aniseikonia (RARE). If inadvertent or non-prescribed, it was a definite :finger:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Glass VS plastic

Dr Stacy: Thank you. Another thing, my "old" progressive glasses are indeed glass lenses. I have another pair of glass single-vision glasses that I used to switch off from my "old" progressives, and there was no headache. They were small rectangular lenses.

Sort of going crazy... :hammer: Hoping re-dos will solve problem.

NEW RX OD -5.75 -1.00 005 This is on both pairs of "HA" specs.
    OS -6.00 -0.75 180

"OLD" RX not known, but had +1.25 add in both lenses.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dear Catopounce,

You have a lot of different things going on here:
    -- lens type (SV versus progressive)
    -- lens material (glass versus others)
    -- different base curves (more on that later)
    -- different frame configurations
    -- maybe even variations in interpupilary distance (PD), vertex distance, frame wrap, and other factors

Some people are more sensitive to change than others, and some are more sensitive to changes in certain things --like lens materials, or base curves -- than others. Most people will not notice any significant difference visually between glass and plastic, or between a lens ground on a 2.0 base and one ground on a 3.5 base. However, there are some who do. And for those folks, we opticians have learned to be more careful.

To trouble-shoot down a problem like the one you're having can require a fair amount of knowlege, experience and patience. And to do it by remote control, as we are doing here, is even more challenging. Personally, I like to see the patient and the glasses (and the old glasses!).

That said, based on the information you've shared, I'd agree with you and with QDO1 that the most likely culprit is your change from progressives to SV lenses. You are probably trying to read with those lenses, and see intermediate objects, and therefore straining your eyes somewhat. Going from multifocals back to single-vision can produce this problem.

Now, to answer your original question :hammer:

Our doctors will specify base curves with patients who have a significant degree of astigmatism. Their desire is to keep the patient in a lens with a front curve similar to what they've worn in the past, on the theory that it will make an easier adaptation to the distortion caused by the astigmatic correction. I would say that this does not apply in your case.

I wish you the best and a happier, more headache-free, new year.

Andrew.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Hi Andrew: Thank you for your comprehensive answer!

My eye doc didn't say much about the change to single vision with the new glasses, and he had said on my Rx that it was "optional". (+1.25) On the recent visit though, he rewrote my Rx with "needs PAL +1.25" and "needs base curve 3.75." So, he changed "optional add +1.25" to "mandatory."

I will have to change other new glasses to Progressive.( $)

And yes, you are right, you can't solve my problem by "remote control"!

Thanks for your very informative and helpful post and good wishes and Happy New Year to you too!
    :cheers:

Thread Information