Thread: Varilux Panamic versus Zeiss Gradal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Varilux Panamic versus Zeiss Gradal?

I'm 62 years old and have been successfully wearing progressive lenses for about 20 years. My previous lenses were Zeiss Gradals which worked great. I have moved to a new city were Zeiss lenses are routinely sold, so my new optician dispensed Varilux Panamic lenses to fill a recent prescription. I am VERY unhappy with the narrow field of view for distant objects provided by these new glasses. I asked the optician to double check if these lenses are actually panamic's since the range of view surely doesn't seem like it. He said they are panamic's and he double-checked the fitting. My old Zeiss Gradals were much wider in their usable field of view. Do the Varilux Panamic's generally have a smaller range of view than the Zeiss Gradals? My old Ziess lenses were fine in that regard. Myprescription had changed a bit and that was my only reason for getting new glasses. I am also wondering if I would have a wider field of view if I had gotten the Varilux Panamic Ipseo or the Zeiss Individual lenses? I can not keep what I have now. They are far too narrow and the worst progressives I've ever worn. I still wonder if they are really panamic's. I checked the lens markings and the <e> airmark is there to indicate that they are Varilux lenses but I can't see anything indicating they are panamics. Should this be marked on the lens. Sorry I do not know my prescription. I'm also thinking about getting rid of the new Varilux lenses and ordering Zeiss Gradals. Any and all suggestions/comments welcome. If it makes any difference, I live in Newfoundland, Canada. TIA

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Unfortunately, very few progressive lenses on the market offer the kind of distance performance that Zeiss Gradal Top delivers, since this was a major priority of the Zeiss lens designers. If you cannot find a Zeiss dispenser, SOLA's Percepta also offers an exceptional distance zone and would probably be the closest alternative optically. Otherwise, AO b'Active, Essilor Ovation (from the makers of the Varilux design), and Vision-Ease Outlook are other progressive lens designs that offer above average distance zones in typical Add powers (e.g., +2.00 Adds). Further, keep in mind that an increase in Add power may also result in some loss in the width of the clear viewing zones.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    ...very few progressive lenses on the market offer the kind of distance performance that Zeiss Gradal Top delivers...
    Thanks for the information! Can you clarify for me if there is a difference between the "Zeiss Gradal" and the "Zeiss Gradal Top"? If so, what is the difference and which is better? TIA

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The full name of Zeiss's traditional, general-purpose progressive lens is Zeiss Gradal Top. Zeiss Gradal Individual is the fully customized or "free-form" version of this product, which is optimized specifically for your prescription, frame, and fitting measurements using special equipment. Zeiss also makes a lens design with a shorter corridor length that works better in small frames known as Zeiss Gradal Brevity. You can find out more information at Zeiss.com.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Gradal = Gradal Top.

Panamic's thing was to reduce the amount of peripheral astigmatism, and it achieved that nicely. It's an "active" type of lens.

Gradal's thing is this: excellent distance area, excellent intermediate area. The near area is average. The astigmatism amount is average. It requires a substantial fitting height to work properly. It's a "vision" type lens. Go back to it.

Individualized progressives may be helpful or not, depending on your prescription and interpupillary distance. I'd forgo that for now, since you've already got problems on your hands.

Ask your optician to remake to Gradal.

I use Panamic and Gradal, and they are polar opposite lenses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I'm very appreciative of all the helpful feedback that I've received in response to my original post. I have a final question.

Today, at the request of the optician who dispensed the Varilux Panamic's, I went back to the optometrist and he did a recheck of my prescription. He confirmed that today's test matched the one done a week ago. I also got a copy of the prescription and I've put a copy here (without the optometrist's name of course): http://www.JustUs.ca/eyeglasses.htm

I also returned the Varilux Panamic glasses to the dispensing optician. This optician cannot supply Zeiss lenses, so they refunded my money. I then found another optician that says they can get Zeiss lenses on special order. Based upon feedback received here, and my own previously favorable experience with Zeiss, I'm now thinking I will order Zeiss Gradal Top for general use and Zeiss Gradal RD lenses for computer work. Since the optician I've found does not normally deal in Zeiss lenses (there are none locally that do), is there anything special that I need to be aware of? For example, he is recommending against getting either pair of the Zeiss lenses coated. He says that they will get dirty too quickly. Is this true for Zeiss coatings? Do you agree I sholud not get the coatings? I have always used single sight lenses for computer work but since getting dual 23" monitors, I find the single-sight glasses not that good. They do not allow me to focus on both the far edges of my monitors and the near edges without moving my head to do so. Will the Zeiss Gradal RD lens solve this problem? With these dual monitors, I need an in-focus working range from 22" to about 34". Will the RD progressives meet my need?

BTW I'm not getting the Zeiss Gradual Individual since no one here (Newfoundland) has the equipment to fit them. It seems that I'm probably fortunate to have found someone willing to special order the Zeiss Gradal Top. If I could get the Gradal Individual lens would.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Zeiss Coatings are great. They're especially useful for the computer pair, but good for your general purpose pair if you're reasonable about maintenance. If you can afford the Carat Advantage brand Zeiss AR coating, you will get a world-class AR.

I'm not sure about what you mean by "near edge" and "far edge" of your screens. Do you mean they tilt away from you? If so, yes, the RD is good. But you will still need to turn your head left and right.

With your Rx, the Individual would not give you a distinct advantage over the Top, IMO.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardon
    my new optician dispensed Varilux Panamic lenses to fill a recent prescription. I am VERY unhappy with the narrow field of view for distant objects provided by these new glasses.

I am also wondering if I would have a wider field of view if I had gotten the Varilux Panamic Ipseo or the Zeiss Individual lenses? I can not keep what I have now. They are far too narrow and the worst progressives I've ever worn. I still wonder if they are really panamic's. I checked the lens markings and the <e> airmark is there to indicate that they are Varilux lenses but I can't see anything indicating they are panamics.
    Tia,

I believe Essilor agrees with you as the new Varilux Physio lens is to be used to replace all current Panamic wearers. Amazing how some things change...... Anyway... The Panamic may go by the wayside very soon.

As far as if the Ipseo or Gradal Individual would be better... The answer is: YES

Adam

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical
    Tia,

I believe Essilor agrees with you as the new Varilux Physio lens is to be used to replace all current Panamic wearers. Amazing how some things change...... Anyway... The Panamic may go by the wayside very soon.

As far as if the Ipseo or Gradal Individual would be better... The answer is: YES

Adam
    Thanks for the feedback. It's very interesting to hear that the Physio is going to replace the Panamic lens. My optician was talking about the Panamic being the "latest and greatest." As you say, "Amazing how things change...".

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Thanks for the feedback. It's very interesting to hear that the Physio is going to replace the Panamic lens. My optician was talking about the Panamic being the "latest and greatest." As you say, "Amazing how things change...".
    I believe the best way to describe the Panamic is:

"The Panamic was supposed to be the latest and greatest"

Isn't amazing how the tech guys, marketing guys, and finally the consumer do not always agree. I don't wear a progressive lens so I can not tell you my personal opinion of any of the lenses. I believe the problem with the Panamic was that it aparently was not substantially better than the Varilux Comfort.

Adam

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    dont hold your breath. I was told the panamic would repalce the comfort... like 5 years ago

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good show, QDO1!

Thread Information