Thread: UK Dispensing Opticians, CET points

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

UK Dispensing Opticians, CET points

I qualified as a DO about 10 years ago but since getting out of retail optics approx 5 years ago I let my ABDO/GOC memberships lapse.
    I recently re-registered and learned that I need to get 36 CET points in the next 12 months.

The Dispensing Optics mag I get monthly gives me the opportunity to earn 2 points per issue which will leave me 12 points short.
    I would be interested in recommendations for earning extra points without having to travel the country visiting events. And preferably without having to spend much more money than it already costs to be a DO.

Also, the DoH are offering a grant to OO's to help with CET related costs but are offering nothing to DO's. How much does this blow?! To me it just further devalues the profession.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it sucks doesn't it

look here:
    http://www.cetoptics.com/

subscribe to Vision Now magazine - i will look up the address, its free, and the CET articals are easy

ABDO magazine sometimes has CET in too

Optician Magazine has CET in

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I finally got into it and have gained 7 points over the weekend from ABDO (dispensing optics) and the Optician magazine.

I need to phone Optometry Today to activate my account so I can do their excercises.

I assume the points gained from OT/Optician are valid for a DO despite being optician/optometrist based.

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    subscribe to Vision Now magazine - i will look up the address, its free, and the CET articals are easy
    If you could let me know the details I would be grateful, I have done a Google but can't find it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

cet's

rsandr,

I too am a DO and actually an OO. You need to visit Bausch and Lomb's site, there are 18 points you can earn over the net. Also Ciba has some points on podcast. The other site is otcet.co.uk, which you can download articles and take the tests. These will then be downloaded to your cet total at cetoptics. They are all free, so off you go!!

Also, this Vision Now magazine, please would someone let me know what the link is? I've googled too, but nada!
    Last edited by catherineopt; 02-27-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I just had two CET courses published in the January and February issues of the ABDO's Dispensing Optics journal, "Wavefront Aberrations and Spectacle Lenses, Parts I and II," so I know they're still offering credit through the mail.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for the info. I was trying to help the previous postee, but thanks for the info. Well done You! I'll check the articles out!

Take care.

Thread Information