Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Behind the ears

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Behind the ears

I have noticed in most Optical shops and doctors offices that many Opticians do not 'touch' behind the ears when adjusting. Why is this? I was taught to do so in order to see how I need to adjust the frames to the patient.
    Are they afraid to touch people? Or is this the new thing being taught ? It seems to me that the patient comes back more often when this happens for even more adjustments. Is this done on purpose just to get more possible business?
    I'm really curious because it always bugs me. I tell em, thanks, but I'll do it at home and they look at me funny.

I do hope this is not one of those 'doofus' questions. I'm going out on a limb here folks. :D

jewel

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only very inexperienced opticians bend temples down to touch the back of the ear. Amateurs do this to keep the frame from slipping forward. Puts pressure on the nose and ear, give pt. a headache. You can usually tell the patient that went to the local discount house by this. Temple should begin to bend down at top of ear, but the rest of the temple should touch and hold on the back ofthe head behind the ear.

Chip:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Only very inexperienced opticians bend temples down to touch the back of the ear. Amateurs do this to keep the frame from slipping forward. Puts pressure on the nose and ear, give pt. a headache. You can usually tell the patient that went to the local discount house by this. Temple should begin to bend down at top of ear, but the rest of the temple should touch and hold on the back ofthe head behind the ear.

Chip:)

Yes, I agree.
    I just don't understand why I see alot of Opticians just 'handing' the glasses to the patient and saying, ' Here, try this on and see how it feels'. Thats what bugs me.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jewel, do you mean adjusting the frames so it touches behind the patient's ears, or are you asking about touching the endpiece with your fingers while they are on the patient's head? I've found that most opticians don't like touching the patients behind the ears while adjusting, and that was how I was first taught, as well- to just look. I've since then been working with an optician who is very experienced, and she does touch behind the ears while adjusting. She prefers adjusting by touch rather than by sight. I've found it useful in some cases, especially when the patient is very sensitive. Of course, some people don't feel comfortable having their head touched by a stranger, so always make sure and ask if it's ok before you go grabbing someone's ears.. :D
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nicole
    Jewel, do you mean adjusting the frames so it touches behind the patient's ears, or are you asking about touching the endpiece with your fingers while they are on the patient's head? I've found that most opticians don't like touching the patients behind the ears while adjusting, and that was how I was first taught, as well- to just look. I've since then been working with an optician who is very experienced, and she does touch behind the ears while adjusting. She prefers adjusting by touch rather than by sight. I've found it useful in some cases, especially when the patient is very sensitive. Of course, some people don't feel comfortable having their head touched by a stranger, so always make sure and ask if it's ok before you go grabbing someone's ears.. :D

Yes, you're right, some folks don't like to be touched. I was taught to pull the ear forward and look to see where the temples are resting, then go from there.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't ever remember having a patient object to being touched.... at least behind the ears. Exception a few bald or other women wearing wigs or head dress to conceal this.

Chip
    Usually, I go so far as to have them turn thier head and actually look behind the ear. Don't really know how one would judge how much shorter to make a temple without looking.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use to work for a Guild optician. He once told me if I ever handed someone a pair of glasses without adjusting them properly,that I could follow them right out the front door. I always look behind the ears, you can't do it by touch!

Bad address email on file
    Interesting topic. I touch the ears 99% of the time. People will only feel uncomfortable if YOU are uncomfortable touching them. If a physician can touch their body, and a hairdresser can touch their hair, then an optician can touch their ears.

Maybe, just maybe, you could adjust glasses by sight only, but what about pts with longer hair? You'd have to ask people to lift up their hair for you?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I touch, but only to get the ears out of the way so I can see how they fit. :D
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    I use to work for a Guild optician. He once told me if I ever handed someone a pair of glasses without adjusting them properly,that I could follow them right out the front door. I always look behind the ears, you can't do it by touch!

Sounds like the Optician I worked for, she made a real issue out of it and I agree with her. I feel that an adjustment IS much better by looking behind the ears. Sometimes you do have to pull the ear forward to be able to see though, but not always. My employer was from the old school .

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A friend of mine actually ended up a married man after a few episodes of ear fondling with one of his clients. At least I think that was his wife. Hmm... I get these stories mixed up sometimes...never mind.

Anyways, I always take a walk around my clients chair to inspect the contour of the temple/tip. When the going gets weird I take a walk around my own chair.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel
    Yes, I agree.
    I just don't understand why I see alot of Opticians just 'handing' the glasses to the patient and saying, ' Here, try this on and see how it feels'. Thats what bugs me.

I have seen this with rooks and even experienced opticians ( experienced in the sense they have the years in ) seems they just don't want to take the time to do a good quality job. Just my 2 cents

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS

Do they still have the Guild Opticians? Because I agree thats where I was taught.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just give 'em a kiss!

Not trying to sound weird but...

I touch behind the ears on most adjustments because it gives me a better feel for the adjustment. I don't want the temple touching there, so I do. Plus, (here's the weird part) I think you have more of a relationship with someone when you've had some kind of physical contact (handshake, ear touch, hug etc...)

It works for us !

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    Just give em a kiss
    So you kiss people behind the ears?

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also feel behind the ears. I look too but I find that using both makes for a much more accurate fit. As for those that don't feel behind the ears, some of them are lookers that learned to do all their adjusting by sight and are very good doing it that way and we should leave them alone. However, most times when I see an Optician not feeling behind the ears and not even looking back there in some cases I find they are usually inexperienced or poorly trained by an inexperienced trainer.

Another thing that I have found over the years is that the touching usually helps the patient trust you more. It is an instinctual thing for people to be more receptive to another person if that person gently touches them. Especially if it is on the arm or cheek. I feel that when I check for adjustments with my touch it helps to build my rapport with the patient and put them at ease.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper What's the big deal about ears?

There is nothing wrong with lifting hair off the ear.

As for kissing the ear or behind the ear, while I have known a few ladies that this had highly favorable erotic effects on, it's best confined to after hours outside the office.

Chip

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find you have to touch and look. You have to feel the pressure and see where the temples are sitting. If I try and cheat the patient is usually back.

I was told when I was in training that you are a professional so that to be a professional you need to touch.

I had a student optician he informs me that they didn’t need to touch because his class took a vote and the majority felt it wasn’t important. He no longer works for me.

You know you been, an optician too long when you can jam a screwdriver blade an inch into your finger and you don’t utter a word!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    RE: Kissing behind the ears....

Doesn't Everybody ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by C-10
    You know you been, an optician too long when you can jam a screwdriver blade an inch into your finger and you don’t utter a word!
    I sliced my thumb pretty nicely yesterday deblocking a not-yet-safety-beveled lens and didn't notice for probably 5 minutes. Lucky I didn't reach for the alcohol before I noticed.

People will only feel uncomfortable if YOU are uncomfortable touching them.
    Exactly. If you keep it all-business and professional, so will they.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have the patients turn their heads and I look behind the ears. Usually I touch the ears to move them out of the way. If the hair is in the way I lift it out of the way. I don't actually touch behind the ear, though. I can tell by looking.

I almost never give it a second thought that I am touching peoples ears. A couple of times people's ears have been really dirty or disgusting. When I saw them I didn't want to touch them so these people didn't get good adjustments.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I see a dispenser just reach out and flap an ear forward, saying "turn your head" to look behind, without moving from their seat, without a hint of request in their voice, I cringe. It appears lazy and disrespectful! (Just my opinion!) Maybe the customers don't care one way or the other, and at least someone is trying to insure a good fit for the new glasses.

We can use different ways to measure what needs to be done, those of us who actually care, and IF walking around the patient or standing up to measure behind the ear with a thumb, or asking the eyeglass customer to turn their heads makes our work easier, then we should do it. Some of us are more tactile, and some more visual.

Note: when someone comes in to complain about a pair of glasses hurting behind the ear(s), I learned early to look carefully before touching that area because some of those people have waited until they have an infection, or open areas that are way past tender . These dear souls are usually the ones who think that a pair of glasses should last at least 10 years with their daily wearing, and that an Rx shouldn't need rechecking until the glasses fall apart.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    RE: Kissing behind the ears....

Doesn't Everybody ?
    I have kissed other parts of the customer's anatomy but not the ears ... :p

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen
    I have kissed other parts of the customer's anatomy but not the ears ... :p

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
    Cheeks I presume!

Lewy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just hope they dont just take thier wig of the second before you takle the ear.. happened to a coleague in a very busy shop... could of heard a pin drop a second later

Thread Information