Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Behind the ears

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

look behind ears..................

Quote Originally Posted by jewel
    I was taught to pull the ear forward and look to see where the temples are resting, then go from there.
    This is one of the most important feats when deliverng a pair of glasses. Absolutelu for a perfect fit and maximum comfort for the customer

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy
    Cheeks I presume!

Lewy
    but which of the 4 cheeks ... THAT is the question ... ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    just hope they dont just take thier wig of the second before you takle the ear.. happened to a coleague in a very busy shop... could of heard a pin drop a second later

HAHA, Thats really funny . :D

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    Interesting topic. I touch the ears 99% of the time. People will only feel uncomfortable if YOU are uncomfortable touching them. If a physician can touch their body, and a hairdresser can touch their hair, then an optician can touch their ears.

Maybe, just maybe, you could adjust glasses by sight only, but what about pts with longer hair? You'd have to ask people to lift up their hair for you?
    I am very comfortable touching my patients behind the ears, but I did have one patient once who refused to allow it. She gave me no end of grief that her glasses were uncomfortable, but wouldn't let me touch her ears or hair to adjust them. Just set them on the table and said, fix it. Very frustrating! That, combined with some training I had earlier in a hospital that taught you NEVER touch a patient without express permission (unless it is an emergency), has made me a little cautious :)
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen
    but which of the 4 cheeks ... THAT is the question ... ;)
    That depends, some patients are cheekier than others.

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a guy come in to pick up his eyewear he just got off work and was out in the bush for a week, he was very dirty. When I stuck my finger in to check the fit, I will swear some thing bit me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by C-10
    I had a guy come in to pick up his eyewear he just got off work and was out in the bush for a week, he was very dirty. When I stuck my finger in to check the fit, I will swear some thing bit me.

:D hahaha, snort. Thats really funny. Probably not at the time though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Being British, this is a lot more awkward for us. We don't like to touch them, they don't like to be touched. I think it is possible to judge a good fit from looking and moving the frame whilst observing, but I think it takes a lot more experience. I'm OK now, but a couple of years ago I was very hit-and-miss. (I have been in optics 6 years)In all honesty, I think the average Brit would rather come back three times to be re-fitted than be touched by a stranger! And are you surprised? No. You think we're weird :-)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i dont have a problem.. I start at the front of the face and say what I am just about to do at all times

...Im going to do X to your pads, because...
    ...Im going to do Y to the sides, because

by the time I get to the ears, it isnt a problem

Occupation
    Optometrist
    As the OD and go-to adjuster, I have no problem with manipulating an ear, or moving a head position manually, whatever.

I do remember when in school having an obstacle with touching the patient. All health care professionals, opticians included, have that hurdle to jump. The best advice is to jump in and do it and get used to it.

Optician--> Optometrist--> Gynecologist--> Proctologist. The more you touch, the more professional you are!:D

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

The British don't like to touch (ears)................

Quote Originally Posted by Maria
    Being British, this is a lot more awkward for us. We don't like to touch them, they don't like to be touched.
    If do don't touch you dont see.....................if you dont see you can not adjust a temple properly............touch and see, makes the whole difference.

I also don't see why it should be more awkward for a British to touch than for a Dutch or a German............I know Italians love to touch. :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser

I also don't see why it should be more awkward for a British to touch than for a Dutch or a German............I know Italians love to touch. :bbg:
    You've never been British then, have you? A lot of stereotypes of Brits are untrue, but the standoffishness physically is spot on. In fact, there's an advert for a bank on TV that basically warns us that foreigners like touching people, and will do things like sit next to you on a park bench!

Look - arms length. Nowt wrong with that.:cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maria: It's fine unless the patient has hair.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At my new job, they do not touch at all. They hand the glasses to the patient and 'walk around them' to look behind their ears. I'm a little disappointed. I do though and the patients do not mind one bit. One lady asked my co-worker, 'Well ... aren't you going to look behind my ears, and pulled her ear down.' It was all I could do not to take over, but I know I can't do that. I'm the newbie , albeight with experience.
    Last edited by jewel; 12-27-2005 at 01:16 AM.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think learning to fit by touch and knowing how to fit a pair of glasses is the single greatest buisness builder there is! Patients will travel great distances to find someone who can make their glasses fit.

I always and usually only fit by touch. I remember in school 30 :( years ago being told that if any of us had a problem doing so we should find another profession.

I'll sometimes look if a patient has a pain complaint to be sure the readjustment is not touching near the sore spot even if it means straightening the temple and telling them they have to come back after it heals.

On some (rare) patients I'll disagree with many of you and fit the temple with a 90 degree bend!
    I think the apparent trend to bayonet temples is a profit maker for our suppliers but a disservice to our patients.

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    just hope they dont just take thier wig of the second before you takle the ear.. happened to a coleague in a very busy shop... could of heard a pin drop a second later
    I worked near the local hospital years ago and the prosthetic fitter used to bring his Px's in to be fitted with specs. Usually a nose, false eye or cheek were attached to the spectacles with a button clip. On removal of said spectacles half the face came away. A little disconcerting at first but I always marvelled at the ingenuity and craftmanship of the prosthetics. Needless to say all adjustments were undertaken in a private consulting room.

Lewy

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My Dad trained me to touch behind the ears (many many years ago :)). I can tell much more by feel than I can by looking. I can't imagine trying to adjust a pair of glasses without touching the patient's head. Contouring the temples properly is an art.

Slightly off-thread, but I was also trained to do all adjustments on the front of the frame (nosepads, panto, wrap, etc.) before even touching the temples -- basically, to start at the front and work my way back. Anyone else get trained that way?
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss
    My Dad trained me to touch behind the ears (many many years ago :)). I can tell much more by feel than I can by looking. I can't imagine trying to adjust a pair of glasses without touching the patient's head. Contouring the temples properly is an art.

Slightly off-thread, but I was also trained to do all adjustments on the front of the frame (nosepads, panto, wrap, etc.) before even touching the temples -- basically, to start at the front and work my way back. Anyone else get trained that way?
    exactly how i do it

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you handle yourself in a professional manner you may touch people behind the ear. They will not object. I fee that touching and feeling (behind the ear) is the best way to judge a proper fit. Sometimes you do so many you could probably do them in your sleep.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss

Slightly off-thread, but I was also trained to do all basically, to start at the front and work my way back. Anyone else get trained that way?

I was not trained that way persay, ( Your quote ) (adjustments on the front of the frame (nosepads, panto, wrap, etc.) before even touching the temples ) -- but that is how I do it most of the time. It just comes natural to do so somehow. It depends so much on the patient and what their individual needs are. I do start with the temples first sometimes when the patient specifically tells me they hurt behind the ears or I can see that the frames are practically falling off their face and down their nose. But touch is most important. Although when someone reaches for their glasses I don't push with the touching.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester
    I think learning to fit by touch and knowing how to fit a pair of glasses is the single greatest buisness builder there is! Patients will travel great distances to find someone who can make their glasses fit.

I always and usually only fit by touch. I remember in school 30 :( years ago being told that if any of us had a problem doing so we should find another profession.

I'll sometimes look if a patient has a pain complaint to be sure the readjustment is not touching near the sore spot even if it means straightening the temple and telling them they have to come back after it heals.

On some (rare) patients I'll disagree with many of you and fit the temple with a 90 degree bend!
    I think the apparent trend to bayonet temples is a profit maker for our suppliers but a disservice to our patients.

Agreed ....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharonseyes
    If you handle yourself in a professional manner you may touch people behind the ear. They will not object. I fee that touching and feeling (behind the ear) is the best way to judge a proper fit. Sometimes you do so many you could probably do them in your sleep.

Amen.... ;)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

adjusting/touching

I always start adjusting at the nose and work out from there ending with the temples.
    As far as touching goes, I was taught that touching behind the ears was essential to a proper fit. Handing a pair of glasses to a patient does not cut it.You need to feel how the glasses fit and move in the patient

Ed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Optician
    I always start adjusting at the nose and work out from there ending with the temples.
    As far as touching goes, I was taught that touching behind the ears was essential to a proper fit. Handing a pair of glasses to a patient does not cut it.You need to feel how the glasses fit and move in the patient

Ed
    Yes, agreed. But my boss and co-worker just hand the glasses to the patient and merely asks them how the glasses feel. Drop your head down they say, do they slip down, how bout those nose pads, do they pinch ... all the while staring at the patient making them uncomfortable. It drives me crazy and it's kinda hard to say anything to the boss. I just slip the glasses on the patient with a you don't mind do you if I just slip these on and 9 times out of 10 they are fine with it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    jewel,

With the technique you describe, you should have your boss mail the glasses to the patient, and then call them on the phone to talk about the adjustment.

I'll bet your boss won't be able to figure out why everybody asks for you when the return for a real adjustment.

Thread Information