Thread: Top 100 optical frame manufacturers?

OptiBoard Novice

Wave Top 100 optical frame manufacturers?

Does anyone knows a link that shows this information? I could not find such information from trading/sourcing websites I searched, any help is appreciated!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Snuffy, Are you talking about the entire world or just the known people like, Safilo, Zyloware, etc. of the industry? There are many frame manufactures that simply slap another company's name on the temple and ship that frame to them. I can show you at least a dozen orient based publications that have nothing but frame manufacturers in them. Yes, there are others, especially at MIDO that produce nothing but make temple hinges, or the machines that shoot the wire into the temples, etc.

Sorta crunched for time right now. Will read this over and amend if needed.

Mark
    Mark E. Lepow
    Part of family that owned Franel Optical Supply
    Franel closed July 2007, after 47 years in business.
    New Career:
    Co-Owner, Lepow Photo
    Winter Garden, Fl.
    lepowphoto.com
    Professional Triathlon Photography

OptiBoard Novice
    Thank you for the reply, Mark. I am sorry for not stating my question clearly. And yes I am referring to those manufacturers like Safilo, Luxottica where they assemble entire frame together with brand names and sell them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Snuffy, I will do some research at the office in the morning and post what info I can Tueday am(ish). Do you want the Oliver Peoples of the industry included? I list O.P. because though they are very stylish, some people do not see them as a frame manufacturer per se.
    Mark
    Mark E. Lepow
    New Career:
    Co-Owner, Lepow Photo
    Winter Garden, Fl.
    lepowphoto.com

OptiBoard Novice
    Mark, what does Oliver People stand for? I am not sure what that is but if they do collect (purchase) and assemble all parts into a final product, it will help, too. Thanks a lot for the help.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This should (over) satisfy what you're looking for: http://www.optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Big Smile

Quote Originally Posted by spartus
    This should (over) satisfy what you're looking for: http://www.optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm
    Thank you spartus................I have compiled over 420 optical websites on that list and update it periodically.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Snuffy, Does Chris's info help. I hope so. I did the exact thing that I can not stand when people visit the website of my photo business, they do not scroll down... DUH, sorry Chris. You have done a great service compiling the info you have there. Wonderful cross section.

Snuffy, though this list is very deep, one falible (sp?) thing is that it is based on webrank, not sales, product, etc. Plus, I do not see many Asian companies listed, but I have also found that many Asian companies do not have a website. Pretty much still the typical Hong Kong based person living on a cell phone with an email account. They have the contacts and can do the footwork, and have proved wonderful for us.

Now, the question I still have is are you looking to import, sell more frames not found from the Safilos, Luxotticas, etc. of the world, just doing market research, etc.?

Chris, once again, I am amazed at your listings, you have a great service.
    Mark
    Mark E. Lepow
    New Career:
    Co-Owner, Lepow Photo
    Winter Garden, Fl.
    lepowphoto.com

OptiBoard Novice
    Thank you, Mark, Chris, and Spartus for being so helpful =)

I actually have bumpped into that website before and it's a good reference for their sales volume, I was actually hoping that there might be websites with more details, but I believe this should be good enough for now =)

Mark, my company manufacture nose pads and pad arms. This company has never required sales personnel for the past 21 years due to the quality they offer. But now the competition is much much greater, hence they hired me to try and expend the market a little =P But I have no background in this industry, so I thought I should try get as many manufacturer's (our buyers)information as I can.

All in all, thank you guys for such great help, much much appreciated!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hi Snuffy,

Competitor of Tanaka, Japan??

Most of major players immigrant to China now near Guang Dong area. Actually, the person you are looking for is Mr. Hsu, Liang Hua, the president of Elegence Optical in HK and China and he is also a big partner of Safilo Group. Lux. Group is a little harder for you at this moment.

If you use solder ball instead of solder rod to weld nose pad arm and its little box together, then you will have a better chance to get in the little door of vender's lists. Of course, max. defective rate is 0.75% + min. 6 months of unconditional IOU term must be allowed by your boss. No if and no but!

Oliver People is a trade mark/name of a designer eyewear company registered in Los Angeles, AMERICA. Their metal frames are/were made by many "little" professional artists in Japan (in many families not from a big factory). They cannot afford the quantity you ask for!

Are you going to award me a pack of Long Life Cigarette and 3 boxes of Bin Lung after I tell you so much....??:D

Yo people, Long Life is also a trade name of tabacco from MIT, named by a group of short life consumers. We all pray...
    Last edited by JERRY HUANG; 12-07-2005 at 03:17 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy
    Does anyone knows a link that shows this information? I could not find such information from trading/sourcing websites I searched, any help is appreciated!
    the top 100 in germany, UK, China, Canada, US, Australia etc would all be different. did you want the worldwide top 100, or the top 100 for each trading sector?

OptiBoard Novice
    Hi Jerry =)

Actually I smoke Mild Seven and my GM does eats bin lung a lot =P
    We have been working with Lux group for awhile now, we were suppose to go Italy for a meeting with their executive in purchase department, which was canceled ( there goes my free Italy trip!! )

Lux group being one of our major customer but our sales volume with other manufacturers is decreasing due to competition, therefore market expansion is rather urgent for my company.

PS. If you ever come to Xiamen, feel free to contact me for those ciggerates and bin lung! =P

OptiBoard Novice
    QDO1

If to narrow down to trading sector, I think top 20 or so would be enough. =)

Occupation

Cream in the coffe.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy
    QDO1
    If to narrow down to trading sector, I think top 20 or so would be enough. =)
    Never forget the old rule that still applies today..................................

When you rely on one or two large customers and one of them drops you your sales volume goes down by 50%. If you have lots of smaller customer and one drops you your volume goes down by a drop, and can easily be replaced.

Always take the big account as the cream in the coffe.

Occupation

Added 7 more..........................

On a members suggestion I have added all 7 websites of Live Eyeware to my optical website listing at http://optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm

OptiBoard Novice
    Thank you for your advice, Chris
    Thing is, we are a company that's quality driven, hence higher price for our products. Which is why our market target is those whom fabricates brand name glasses as they pretty much mean quality to end users.

Great advice nontheless, and I will always keep that in mind, thanks =)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    On a members suggestion I have added all 7 websites of Live Eyeware to my optical website listing at http://optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm
    Chris how often do you update the Alexa and PR on your page? do you do it manually?

Thread Information