Thread: Licensing Boards and Education

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Licensing Boards and Education

Hi All:

A rulemaking hearing for the Board of Dispensing Opticians is scheduled on December 21, 2005. According to the Notice of Rulemaking Hearing, Rule 0480-1-.20 pertaining to advertising is amended by deleting the language of the rule in its entirety and substituting new paragraphs (1) through (6). Paragraph (4) Advertising Content states: The following acts or omissions in the context if advertisement by any licensee shall constitute unethical and unprofessional conduct, and subject the licensee to disciplinary action pursuant to T.C.A. §63-14-104.
    (b) The misleading use of an unearned or non-health degree in any advertisement.

This rule change would prohibit use of properly earned academic degrees and will treat any mention of such achievements as unethical or nonprofessional conduct. According to my research, disallowing the mention of such degrees would be a unique first for Tennessee, and possibly the nation as well. I find it difficult to comprehend why this licensing board would deny any individual the right to list properly earned and fully accredited educational credentials that exceed the sparse minimums required for this particular field. Is anyone aware of similar actions in other states?
    Roy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's a new one for me, Roy. What prompted this very unusual action?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Judy:

I have no idea what brought on this latest brain belch from the board. It makes no sense.

They are also in the process of bringing charges against an optician who was doing refractions under the supervision of an Ophthalmologist. This should be interesting since I know several who perform numerous tasks for both Ophthalmologists and Optometrists. How do you think it will be received when the this board proclaims that the other two O’s may no longer supervise opticians?

Roy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Geez..what are the charges and how do they define supervision? Has the Board defined what the end goal is here?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Judy:

We are still trying to find out why the Board is pursuing this. The complaint should never have made it past the Board consultant once it was learned an Ophthalmologist was supervising. If it is ruled that a licensed optician cannot do supervised tasks, the implications are far-reaching. This action could very well establish a precedence that will be used in other states. If this goes forward I hope the OAA and state organizations come to his defense. In my opinion it’s doubtful the Tennessee Dispensing Opticians Association will provide any assistance.

Roy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Roy , Paul King here, Is there any thing we can do to help? BTW got any snow in Gatlinburg yet?
    Paul:cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Paul:

If this continues, I’ll be asking for all the help I can assemble. The long-range ramifications for opticianry nationwide should be fairly apparent. Our field needs no outside enemies since we spend huge amounts of time trying to destroy ourselves.

No snow in Gatlinburg yet.

Roy

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Florida, we have statute 484.013(2) "It is unlawful for any person other than an optician licensed under this part to use the title"optician" or otherwise lead the public to believe that she or he is engaged in the practice of opticianry." That means that if you have an ABO, and an NCLE, and a degree in Opticianry, and hang up your certficates, or add the letters to your name, and are not a licensed optician - you are decieving the public, and can be fined. This rule has largely gone unenforced, but every two years we go through a Laws and Rules course, and it is brought to our attention every time that if someone wanted to make a stink, you could be in trouble (if you are not licensed).

Incidentally (true story) - a sales associate in an optical left, and advertised in a newspaper 'ABO optician looking for work'. The former employer, that was left bitter by the employee, phoned our state opticianry board, and the sales associate was fined $5,000.00 (the dollar amount is to the best of my recollection).

It seems like someone in Tenn probably knew some little quirk about the state laws that until then hadn't ever been an issue, and felt like exploiting it.
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Thread Information