Thread: Briot Accura, pro and cons

Bad address email on file Tigger61's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Briot Accura CL, pros and cons

Hello all,
    I was looking for some feedback on these. I use one each day at work. I believe they have there major issues to.(ie,sizing errors,shape errors that are not on screen,drills double hole,at random,will polish on right but not left.).:hammer: I have had the support out several times and they run a few jobs and it does nothing wrong while there are there.I get that it maybe that its not on an electrical line by itself that that maybe the issue, I just want to know if I am alone with this.
    Last edited by Tigger61; 12-03-2005 at 04:00 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've got an Accura, had it for 6 years. It doesn't drill so no comment there.
    But, it has been a faithful workhorse in our lab.
    Ours also is on an electrical outlet used by many other pieces of equipment and there's no problems in this direction

Like any piece of machinery, you get to know the personal quirks.
    Ours cuts the Left lens 0.3 larger than the Right, so we know to compensate it.
    It also cuts PALs 1.0mm higher on + lenses (up to +4.00) then 1.5 mm higher as the Rx increases. On minus lenses it's the other way.

We've just done the first real 'overhaul' on it, bearings, scanner etc and it still has the same quirks. but that doesn't bother us as we all know it.

Without doubt it's the best machine I've used in my 40 years.....OK, maybe the 'poker arm' WECO was more fun in 1968....... I've actually still got one in pieces sitting around, last time I used it it worked well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger61
    Hello all,
    I was looking for some feedback on these. I use one each day at work. I believe they have there major issues to.(ie,sizing errors,shape errors that are not on screen,drills double hole,at random,will polish on right but not left.).:hammer: I have had the support out several times and they run a few jobs and it does nothing wrong while there are there.I get that it maybe that its not on an electrical line by itself that that maybe the issue, I just want to know if I am alone with this.
    Ive had all that, that machine is quite unreliable. I also dont like the workflow... I seem to have to spend a lot of time at the machine doing something, wheras other systems let me have a much better flow around the lab, which speeds things up a lot. I seem to be favouring the NIDEK systems at the moment, for sheer accuracy, with WECO being a close second

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    Ive had all that, that machine is quite unreliable. I also dont like the workflow... I seem to have to spend a lot of time at the machine doing something, wheras other systems let me have a much better flow around the lab, which speeds things up a lot. I seem to be favouring the NIDEK systems at the moment, for sheer accuracy, with WECO being a close second
    Ive never used a Nidek but would agree on the Weco. You put a lens on it and a few button pushes later it is cutting, I would say 9 out of 10 are spot on size.

The Accura produces a beautiful job and gives you control over many parameters but is a little quirky. And I feel like it gives me an interview before it cuts a job, why I have to go through 3 screens is beyond me. They should have a switch for 'classic mode' to make it more like the 6000 for the run of the mill stuff.

Bad address email on file Tigger61's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree the old ones are fantastic and you do get to know them. This one has a lot more thing that go wrong and are unpredictable.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Briot Accura

I had some experience with a Briot Accura when teaching in NYC. It did a fantastic job edging just a little quirky learning the setup initially. The touch plate inside of the left side of the cover needed to be cleaned periodiccl minor annoyance. Generally a no hassle machine for me.

Worst patternless is a toss up between a Novamatic and a Weco 480 CNC. THe Weco was one of the first patternless machines on hte market. It was a servo added onto a regular Weco 440 withall of th Weco 440 balance issues. THe worst part was a servo that would go to the bottom and stick. You ended up with a small round lens regardless of hte frame traced in. THe novamatic was a piece of junk from day 1 always hanging up or wping a bevel or otherwise causing greif and aggrivation

Ed

Thread Information