Thread: 1-800Contacts Gripe

Angry 1-800Contacts Gripe

Hi all,
    I just need to gripe about these clowns! We received a RX verification request via their stupid automated system and I decided to play the nasty card with them since that was the kind of day I was having. I took all the info down, found out that the RX is actually 7 years old(!!!) at this point, & decided that I've had enough of these guys trying to fill these super expired RXs. "I'm going to call their dr verification line & tell them that my fax machine is broke, then how will they get the verification?", I think to myself, "Yeah, that's the ticket!!!" After picking out all of the prompts to get me where I needed to be to verify the RX, I was told that I had to fax to them!!!!! I'm sick of them and their B.S. way of not dealing with docs!!!! GRRRR!!!!

Bad address email on file
    Dont be too hard on them. They are just doing their job. Fair competition I say.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    What you could do is a whois search on their domain name and this will give you the contact for the IT Manager to the company. and work your way through the company untill you get a phone number to someone important at the company. I have done this for a bunch of companys and they are really shocked that I was able to get the phone number to someone that could actually do something for me. The trick is to not blow up on the first person you talk to but to try and get more information and more contacts within their company before you make your strike. This is calle dsocial engineering, start by asking for the IT managers name and direct number or extension, then ask who is in charge of updating their database, and get as much information as you can before they get suspicious. Eventually you have so much info and contacts that they can't blow you off anymore. I did this at one point and it took me a week, but they stoped the automated calls and started faxing all the request wich is how our office prefers it. Here is the whois on 1800contacts.com
    The data contained in Go Daddy Software, Inc.'s WhoIs database,
    while believed by the company to be reliable, is provided "as is"
    with no guarantee or warranties regarding its accuracy. This
    information is provided for the sole purpose of assisting you
    in obtaining information about domain name registration records.
    Any use of this data for any other purpose is expressly forbidden without the prior written
    permission of Go Daddy Software, Inc. By submitting an inquiry,
    you agree to these terms of usage and limitations of warranty. In particular,
    you agree not to use this data to allow, enable, or otherwise make possible,
    dissemination or collection of this data, in part or in its entirety, for any
    purpose, such as the transmission of unsolicited advertising and
    and solicitations of any kind, including spam. You further agree
    not to use this data to enable high volume, automated or robotic electronic
    processes designed to collect or compile this data for any purpose,
    including mining this data for your own personal or commercial purposes.

Please note: the registrant of the domain name is specified
    in the "registrant" field. In most cases, Go Daddy Software, Inc.
    is not the registrant of domain names listed in this database.

Registrant:
    1-800 Contacts
    66 E Wadsworth Park Dr, 3rd Floor
    Draper, Utah 84020
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
    Domain Name: 1800CONTACTS.COM
    Created on: 28-Mar-96
    Expires on: 29-Mar-11
    Last Updated on: 20-May-04

Administrative Contact:
    , webmaster@contacts.com
    Contacts.com
    66 WADSWORTH PARK DR
    DRAPER, Utah 84020-7942
    United States
    8019249800 Fax -- 8019249810
    Technical Contact:
    , webmaster@contacts.com
    Contacts.com
    66 WADSWORTH PARK DR
    DRAPER, Utah 84020-7942
    United States
    8019249800 Fax -- 8019249810

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.1800CONTACTS.NET
    NS2.1800CONTACTS.NET
    The previous information has been obtained either directly from the registrant or a registrar of the domain name other than Network Solutions. Network Solutions, therefore, does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness. Show underlying registry data for this record
    Current Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC. IP Address: 162.97.113.161 (ARIN & RIPE IP search) IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-ARIZONA-PHOENIX Record Type: Domain Name Server Type: Indeterminate Lock Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK DMOZ 1 listings Y! Directory: see listings Web Site Title: Contact Lenses at 1-800 CONTACTS | World's Largest Contact Lens Store® Meta Description: 1-800 CONTACTS - The world's largest contact lens store®. Over 20 million factory-fresh contacts in stock, including Acuvue, Focus, Freshlook, Optima, and more. Meta Keywords: contacts,contact lenses,contact lens,acuvue,focus,color contacts,ciba vision,bausch laumb,discount contact lens,toric lenses,disposable contacts,1800contacts,1-800,1-800contacts,1800contacts.com,http://www.1800contacts.com,contacts...ts.com,johnson a Secure: No E-commerce: No Traffic Ranking: Not available Data as of: 21-Oct-2005
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    I have though of launching a Denial of Service attack against the company to shut down their servers before but it is illegal and would probably cost them millions if done right. Another solution I have thought of is setting up a fax machine to fax them like thousands of pages of garbage. Since toll free numbers are paid for by the company they would have to pay (long distance per minute charges for the length of the fax) plus it would tie up their verification lines.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Big Smile

I have a hard time also. You have to go through all that stupid message. Just remember, when that same patient shows up to have his/her contact lens exam ... charge full. Any additional F/U charge.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think everyone has had problems with this company. Most of our cl rx's have a 1year expiration, however I was very surprised to find out that they will sell contacts using a 2 yr exp. guideline. When I called them and pretended to be a patient (customer) they told me that all doctors office tell their patients that the rx expires at one year but by law it's really two. The "doctors just do this to get more of their money". After I calmed down, I decided to try something new. If I get a call or fax from 1 800 contacts I check the pt. record. If it's been over a year I fax back a "No current file for this Patient". This seems to work for now. Who knows what the future will hold.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    Dont be too hard on them. They are just doing their job. Fair competition I say.
    Competition is fine, as long as everyone plays by the same rules, and rules that are fair.

How is it that if they call to verify an Rx, we only have 8 business hours to respond? I have waited longer than that in coordinating care with MDs. What if you are closed some weekdays?

Anyone that comes to your office is entitled to their records, I agree, but there is more work involved (fielding verification calls and faxes, finding the Rx, filling out the form or filing out our own, faxing the response back, calling them to verify they received our fax, etc.). It often requires up to 15 minutes of our staff's time to work with these folks. There are thousands of things our staff should be doing. It only takes a few ctl rx verifications in a day to tie us up.

It's not healthy for our patients if they get the wrong CTLs or CTLs from a 5 year old Rx. We cant do our part to protect our patients as the rules stand now. A more reasonable system needs to be put into place.

AA

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan
    It often requires up to 15 minutes of our staff's time to work with these folks. There are thousands of things our staff should be doing. It only takes a few ctl rx verifications in a day to tie us up.
    There have been times when we've called the patient to confirm that they're going through 1-800, explained that they're ordering the wrong lens--ordering 2 years ago's RX instead of last year's--and they usually appreciate the attention to detail, schedule an appointment, and buy the lenses from us, once we explain that our price is $1 more per box or something.

Why they don't just call us in the first place instead of trying to do everything themselves, I will never understand. And it's usually only a savings of $1-2 per box. All their time wasted, all our time wasted...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I've found to be the case at our office is that the patients that go through the 1-800's of the world do so because those folks ship the C/L to their home. So we started to offer that service and it seems to have had an affect on the numbers of request that we've been getting. I only see 3-6 a month where as 2 years ago I was getting 10-15 a week. Most soft CL companys will ship free if the patient is getting a year supply.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ziggy's right. Here's what we do, and we don't have a big problem.

1.) Price competively

2.) Do not keep inventory

3.) Direct ship everything

4.) Pass on shipping charges (as shipping charges) when applicable

5.) If Dr.'s office, do a fait accompli of a year's supply at final visit

6.) Have web presence for reorders

When it comes to Fairness-to-CL-Internet-Sellers-Act, we only reply to requests if the Rx is invalid by calling them and our patient. No grace periods, nothing. If the Rx is valid, we "passively" confirm by not calling, to save on staff time. I'm not paying my staff to document for 1-800. Let the patients fax their own Rx's into the scavengers.

They are struggling, BTW, if you've read Vision Monday. May God blight 1-800 and their clones.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by spartus
    Why they don't just call us in the first place instead of trying to do everything themselves, I will never understand. And it's usually only a savings of $1-2 per box. All their time wasted, all our time wasted...
    I think this sums up what is happening to the optical industry as a whole ! There is a perception that "I can get it cheaper somewhere else" (glasses, contacts, exams, whatever). I'm thinking that it is a communication issue like Ziggy said.

Why should you purchase your glasses/contacts/exams from us ?

just my ramblings ...

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by icyou
    I think everyone has had problems with this company. Most of our cl rx's have a 1year expiration, however I was very surprised to find out that they will sell contacts using a 2 yr exp. guideline. When I called them and pretended to be a patient (customer) they told me that all doctors office tell their patients that the rx expires at one year but by law it's really two. The "doctors just do this to get more of their money". After I calmed down, I decided to try something new. If I get a call or fax from 1 800 contacts I check the pt. record. If it's been over a year I fax back a "No current file for this Patient". This seems to work for now. Who knows what the future will hold.
    I guess that depends on the State - Hawaii it IS one year! And don't you love it when patients order lenses they have never been fit with.................

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling
    I have though of launching a Denial of Service attack against the company to shut down their servers before but it is illegal and would probably cost them millions if done right. Another solution I have thought of is setting up a fax machine to fax them like thousands of pages of garbage. Since toll free numbers are paid for by the company they would have to pay (long distance per minute charges for the length of the fax) plus it would tie up their verification lines.
    what would be better if 1000 opticians did it all at the same time, 9.00, every day for a hour or so

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I hear you. I hate those phone calls. I would love to talk to someone higher up at 1-800. I like having "discussions" with these type of companies. It worked great for my ex-cell phone carrier (Sprint).
    Let me know how far you get.

I am going to call that 801 phone # tomorrow AM.
    Last edited by jsxtsa; 12-07-2005 at 12:02 AM. Reason: more info

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Ziggy's right. Here's what we do, and we don't have a big problem.

1.) Price competively

2.) Do not keep inventory

3.) Direct ship everything

4.) Pass on shipping charges (as shipping charges) when applicable

5.) If Dr.'s office, do a fait accompli of a year's supply at final visit

6.) Have web presence for reorders

When it comes to Fairness-to-CL-Internet-Sellers-Act, we only reply to requests if the Rx is invalid by calling them and our patient. No grace periods, nothing. If the Rx is valid, we "passively" confirm by not calling, to save on staff time. I'm not paying my staff to document for 1-800. Let the patients fax their own Rx's into the scavengers.

They are struggling, BTW, if you've read Vision Monday. May God blight 1-800 and their clones.
    Your 1-6 point outline seems to be a good plan.

Thread Information