Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Independent labs vs. Supplier-owned labs:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Train Steam rolling ahead

If you step back from teh business and view from the outside, it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
    Johns , I see it more like a train of big money /big companies running over the independent stores of ALL Businesses...

Chainilising them, standardising them ,homoginising them and converting most of the future generation into employees ..

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The attitude in our office is that if we refuse to endorse ANY product sold in "Big Box".

ANYTIME WE SELL A PORDUCT SOLD IN A "BIG BOX" STORE WE ARE LENDING OUR PROFESSIONAL CREDABILITY TO THAT PRODUCT.

There are other products we an all sell !
    Even if LC sells for more they are paying a fraction of what I pay, that gives them the profit margins to grow (and crush US), why would I help that cause.

Lux is buying every brand (because of profits) to force is into selling it and if we do they eventually will be in control. They could cut us all off and our patients would have no choice but a Lux retail store.

SUPPORT INDEPENDANTS OR WE ARE ALL DOOMED

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Doomsday Is Here

BALONEY!
    John you know very well that independent people can make it and make it well if they know how. I have been doing it and continue to do it well and I have the same competition as you and everyone else. What we need is someone teaching these folk HOW TO DO IT. If I were a few years younger I would not hesitate to open a couple of new locations next week. I have had a dozen locations and never had a bad one. Opened the last one 8 years ago in small rural area even though I knew Wally World would be opening a super center with optical 9 months later six miles away.When they opened I took the action necessary to continue to grow , and it worked. I have heard many HORROR stories about what has happened to other people when faced with the same deal. Many went under and blamed the competition, to this I say BALONEY. I could open NEXT DOOR to any chain and succeed.
    I would dare any chain to accept this challenge.:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Uncle Fester, you have always been good at digging up the old threads.

continuation 10 years later ..................

Thanks Uncle Fester, you have always been good at digging up the old threads. Optiboard is our best historic archive ever, and may it stay alive forever.

................and here we still are, 10 years later, some of us that survived somehow, for better or for worse.

Having gone through the whole thread.........there was no mentioning of the on-line opticals which are the deadliest cancer to the independent conventional optical retail as well as wholesale.

Always faster developing modern technology will be there to help the mostly manufacturer owned operators, to make decent quality products, without seeing their customers.

Big Fish eats smaller Fish

Thread Information