Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you recommend AR to children?

Bad address email on file finklstiltskin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    I'm sure Jarratt hooked her up with some high-index aspheric lenses, as well.
    I'm sure he did. I have much faith in Uncle Jarratt. :D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I will recommend AR coated lenses for kids. Both my son and daughter have been wearing AR coated lenses more than 4 years. This year, when my son replaced his old glasses with new one without AR, he noticed it right way. We had to re-make another one for him. Surely, the AR has to be good.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    maybe the kids in my area are just hell on eyeglasses... I don't know. I know I see it differently than some of you folks, and that's fine... however, I'm thinking more about it and I can see the pros and cons of selling and not selling AR to children a bit better. I won't admit I'm wrong, because it is my opinion, but I will admit that I have developed a limited perspective lately by being in the lab 90% of the time, and most of my contact with patients is now through the retail staff... I guess my hard-line stance has weakened some due to what I've been reading here, but up until now it has mostly been to make the retail folks think more about what it is they sell and why, other than just the bottom line for them, which had been a major problem in the past... it seems to be working so far and we've made huge improvements, but maybe it's time for a little tweaking. :shiner:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Pushers of extra charge items...................

Sure you can. ;) For only a few extra dollars -- the price of better lenses and frame -- you significantly improved that child's quality of life. It was a heck of a return on your investment, I suspect.
    Why dont we put the few dollars right on the table and then make a judgement.
    Fifty or sixty of them on top ?

In today's economy when people loose jobs right and left, unless you live in Calgary........Oil boom and the government issues big cheques to everybody including kids................a lot of people do not have deep pockets and do not want to spend more than necessary.

Opticians should not become known as pushers of extra charge additions to items that are already known as pricy.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Why dont we put the few dollars right on the table and then make a judgement. Fifty or sixty of them on top
    It just so happens that $50 or $60 is also the price of a single video game or two DVDs, which parents routinely shell out cash for without a second thought. (I have two teenagers, myself, in case you're wondering.) So, even if you refuse to recommend nice eyewear to your young customers because you feel that you are better servicing them by making your own assumptions about their budget, the guys at your local electronics store will be happy to take their money instead. ;)
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We charge $80.00 for a premuim AR like Crizal and $90.00 for a Crizal Alize. That is a lot of money to some people. I wouldn't want to sell a standard AR to kids because of scratching.

Even with VSP it is $51.00 or $61.00 for a excellent AR.

Occupation

Recommend or hard sell......................

So, even if you refuse to recommend nice eyewear to your young customers because you feel that you are better servicing them by making your own assumptions about their budget, the guys at your local electronics store will be happy to take their money instead. ;)
    Darryl, Recommending is good, hard sell is not. Opticians have a reputation of being expensive and people do not appreciate hard selling by that profession................while they dont mind as you say, spending a lot for the latest electronics. This has alway's been that way and I have not figured out why.

Customers that have the means dont mind..............while the ones that are watching their budget these days might be pushed into a corner.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a 5yr old daughter who has worn glasses since the age of 2. She is a minus 12.50. I, as a parent, want my child see the same as she did during her refraction. In order for me to provide this, AR is essential. Its scratch resitstant, and most importantly, warrantied. Ar should be on every pair of dress eyewear regardless of age.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DaQueno: I'll be happy to take a bet that the Doctor's lenses used for refraction were not AR coated.

Occupation

regardless of age....................

Quote Originally Posted by DaQuano
    Ar should be on every pair of dress eyewear regardless of age.
    Sounds like you work for the AR council.
    :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip its not about whether the lenses are ar coated, its about reflection free conditions in the exam room. AR allows the optician to duplicate the optics.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nope, dont work for the AR council. But thank you for the complement.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Chairtime,

I just wanted to let you know that I love your captioned picture. Office Space is one of my top five movies! Hilarious! I bought my brother-in-law a red swingline stapler for Christmas last year!

Bjortandcompany

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I sold my first AR to an eight year old today. Mom made it clear they were trying to use up some money in a medical savings accout before the end of the year. The little girl was very neat and her present glasses were well cared and clean.

I offered Crizal and Crizal Alize and told them that the lenses show smudges and fingerprints more then non coated lenses. I explained they would need to clean them once or twice a day. They choose the Crizal Alize.

Occupation

Dont Make It Standard Procedure.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Mom made it clear they were trying to use up some money in a medical savings accout before the end of the year.
    Well this is a perfect case of the parent having to spend some leftover. So you got the sale instead of somebody else.

As long as you dont amke a habit of pushing ever job for kids that same direction you will be ok.

Any expensive extras should not be sold to kids in normal conditions as they do misuse and damge glasses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The way I deal with this issue is easy

I explain to the parant the folowing

AR is a benefit, but kids trash lenses. To save the parants money, we agree we will only consider AR when the last pair of specs comes back in unscratched

This has the following advantages:

• The kid has an incentive to look after the spectacles
    • The parants dont pay for a product that will be trashed
    • The cost of the AR is not a surprise to the parant, and when Little johnnie has looked after his lenses for a year, the parant comes in asking for it
    • The new AR coated lens is only a lowcost upgrade, so it doesnt break the bank
    • The New AR tends to get looked after too, because the kid has allready demonstrated the kiddie can look after the specs

Occupation
    Happylady,

Would you please let us know how Alize AR perform in kid's hand over time?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Happylady,

Would you please let us know how Alize AR perform in kid's hand over time?
    It works great. Actually converted a mother over because the AR she got somewhere else was junk, and her child (2 year old) had Alize and was extremely impressed with it.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find that Crizal and Hoya Supervision hold up better then standard hardcoated poly.

OptiBoardaholic
    [QUOTE=DaQuano]I have a 5yr old daughter who has worn glasses since the age of 2. She is a minus 12.50. QUOTE]

It is understandable to use an AR for that high of an Rx. Many of the really high index lenses don't even come without an antireflective coating because the optics are so poor without it. But when it comes to the average child, the problems that are likely to result (due to scratching) don't really outway the benefits.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been dispensing now for 17yrs, and I've seen many children take better care of their eyewear than many adults. I guess it comes down to what you think is best for the patient. They can pay extra for a scratch resistant hard coat or pay the same for AR, get the same warranty, and better optics. They keep coming back to get their next pair with AR and thats the results I look for.

Bad address email on file rhondaboman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Just for the sake of clearing up any misunderstanding, AR does not absorb or reflect UV light. UV coating must be applied under the AR.

By the by, my opinion on children and AR is that it depends on the child. My 18 year old son has been wearing HV for the last 5 years. Great stuff, but I supposed that says a lot for the care he's taken with them.

AR is THE SINGLE BEST add-on you can provide for a patient. Give them the option. If they are unhappy for whatever reason later, honor the AR warranty and make them a pair without.
    Personally, I feel AR shouldn't be an add on, it should be packaged in with the lens, period.

And because I never claim to be right ALL the time :) , I'd like to know if someone knows of an AR that IS UV inherent.

Rhonda Boman
    Jorgenson Optical Supply

Occupation

Thumbs up UV more important than AR................

Quote Originally Posted by rhondaboman

Just for the sake of clearing up any misunderstanding, AR does not absorb or reflect UV light. UV coating must be applied under the AR.

And because I never claim to be right ALL the time :) , I'd like to know if someone knows of an AR that IS UV inherent.

Rhonda Boman
    Jorgenson Optical Supply
    Manufacturers have made polycarbonate fully UV absorbant. CR39 has nothing incorporated.

A few years ago when an AR was put over a UV treated lens, the AR would delaminate because of incompatibility in the surface. Some companies (ESSILOR) today strip factory coated hard coats and apply one that is more compatible with the AR coating.

I do not see that you could not purchase a totally un-coated CR39 lens, apply your UV and then send it to a coating lab that will apply a hard coat for good adherance of the AR coating.

And you are right................the UV absorbance is definitely more important, healthwise seen, than the AR coating.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    And you are right................the UV absorbance is definitely more important, healthwise seen, than the AR coating.
    that does depend if you just hit a truck because of a lack of judgment, after a huge reflection from your spectacles whilst night time driving... in that instance you might not worry about UV so much

To that end, would you recommend that everyone without a RX wears UV blocking lenses or contacts - surley not!

OptiBoardaholic
    To that end, would you recommend that everyone without a RX wears UV blocking lenses or contacts - surley not!

Of course you should recommend UV protection for everyone, especially if they have risk factors for macular degeneration. UV damage induces many other eye health issues such as pinguecula, pterygium and cataracts. In my opinion Chris is right and to say that an AR coat is going to keep you from getting in recks seems to be a little overboard. I am not against anti-reflective coatings, they certainly improve lenses when in good condition and can make vision more comfortable but they don't give sight to the blind!

Thread Information