Thread: Do you like Altair frames?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do you like Altair frames?

Do you use and sell Altair frames? What do you think of them?

I have over 200 of these frames in my shop. Some of my coworkers think we have too many but I don't. We have plenty of other frames. I like that they are free until we sell one, we don't have to pay tax on them, and they have lots of different lines and styles. The warranty is great and I have had no problems with quality.

We like to carry a few older styles like the larger mens frames and Altair comes in handy there, too.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We carry Revlon, Joseph Abboud and Tommy Bahama. In general I find the quality to be decent, and having them be on consignment is a big plus. The Revlons sell well, the Joseph Abboud's sell decently, and the Tommy Bahamas sell not-so-well, I think in part because of the premium price and the less-than-premium frame materials (mostly monel, very little stainless). What I don't like is putting even more $$ into VSP's pockets :(
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

consignment frames -- be aware of potential liability

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Do you use and sell Altair frames? What do you think of them?

I have over 200 of these frames in my shop. Some of my coworkers think we have too many but I don't. We have plenty of other frames. I like that they are free until we sell one, we don't have to pay tax on them, and they have lots of different lines and styles. The warranty is great and I have had no problems with quality.

In certain circumstances they may not be "free."

Anyone who takes on consignment frames should check with their insurance company to find out about liability in the event of loss (e.g., if any are stolen, or destroyed by fire, flood, etc.). You may be surprised to discover that your insurance company says your policy covers frames that **you** own, but does not cover frames taken on consignment and owned by others.

In the event of loss you could be on the financial hook to the frame company.

Better safe than sorry -- find out about the specifics of your policy.

Gil Weber, MBA
    www.gilweber.com

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting point about the consignment. I am going to check into our policy. We do carry a few Altair frames on consignment too. Mostly to fill in our board space when we are running short on frames. They are also good to keep around for the patients who want the more traditional styles like the altair classics.

However, I do not think they are the best quality. I have personally found it difficult to keep them in adjustment and the eyewire barrels strip easily. I think the solder is often weak as well.

This does not mean we won't keep their product in the dispensary but, I think you just need to know what niche they are filling. Our Altair does not exceed 10% of our total frame inventory and I wouldn't want anymore than that.

Laura

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had no problems with them. Quality seems fine to me.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We have stopped doing any consignment frames of any kind, due to the accounting problems.

We did do Altair for a few years, and I found them to be satisfactory as a basic line (some were more than satisfactory, some less). But it was a big hassle to try to figure out how to reimburse VSP for the frames when they were sold. It felt too "loosey-goosey", and it always seemed I was paying for more frames than I used. Not to mention when the line would expand, and they'd want to send more and more.

Had the same issue with M+ from Modo, which was consigned by a rep who lasted only a short while. It took a long time to clean up the mess.

Bottom line: use consignment with great caution.

Altair sucks!! I can get the smae quality frames for a lot less. Moulin was one of their manufacturers (for UCB), and who the hell wants to inventory frames every month?!!

Thread Information