No announcement yet.

SETI - optical team - join here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I joined the team yesterday, and still trying to figure it all out. This is very cool. Thank you for starting the team. I will be reporting my results in a few days.

As for the previous poster who says,
    Let's assume that there is extraterrestrial life. How can we assume that they are not going to come an conquer us? Why is it assumed that another civilization is benign?
    you can not assume anything.

I think that quote came from "Contact"
    It is probably more likely that our leaders will try to strike them first.

If we can prove that we are not alone, maybe just maybe the world will open its eyes and see how small we really are, and maybe we will all stop fighting about stupid things like our beliefs. All of our wars will be civil wars and the real foreigners do not live here.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Comment

Originally posted by OpticLabRat
      I joined the team yesterday, and still trying to figure it all out. This is very cool. Thank you for starting the team. I will be reporting my results in a few days.

As for the previous poster who says,
      Let's assume that there is extraterrestrial life. How can we assume that they are not going to come an conquer us? Why is it assumed that another civilization is benign?
      you can not assume anything.

I think that quote came from "Contact"
      It is probably more likely that our leaders will try to strike them first.

If we can prove that we are not alone, maybe just maybe the world will open its eyes and see how small we really are, and maybe we will all stop fighting about stupid things like our beliefs. All of our wars will be civil wars and the real foreigners do not live here.
      Thanks for joining the team. I thought I would let you know that it takes a few days for your results to show up on the team stats, and the data is often 1-2 weeks behind. At the moment 1 server says we have 11 members, but I have a list of 20 members from another, but another server only shows 4 contributing. To add to the delay, the work units you do are not awarded credit untill the result is validated on 4 other machines, so it takes some time before your results show in the stats. Good luck, and remember if you have more than 1 machine you can register them all on your account

Comment

10,000 Credit Milestone

Well done to the Opticians Worldwide team. Collectivley we passed the 10,000 credit mark, which is further than most teams ever get.

Credits this morning: 10,260.31

Full analysis at: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...?teamid=120984

There are some members of the team struggling to get set up, having joined the team and not added any computing time to the project.. Please feel free to ask for hints and tips. We started the team when the SETI servers were being upgraded, which made registering and setting up a problem. Im sure those of us that are up and running will be more than happy to help the members who are trying to work out the BOINK or SETI software. Im happy to ICQ or MSN or AIM with anyone to set them up

Comment

Originally posted by QDO1
          Well done to the Opticians Worldwide team. Collectivley we passed the 10,000 credit mark, which is further than most teams ever get.

Credits this morning: 10,260.31

Full analysis at: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...?teamid=120984

There are some members of the team struggling to get set up, having joined the team and not added any computing time to the project.. Please feel free to ask for hints and tips. We started the team when the SETI servers were being upgraded, which made registering and setting up a problem. Im sure those of us that are up and running will be more than happy to help the members who are trying to work out the BOINK or SETI software. Im happy to ICQ or MSN or AIM with anyone to set them up
          Hi, Im setting this up now, you can have some of my 3 ghz.

Im not sure what I should put for the web url at the initial setup.

Comment

Originally posted by rsandr
            Hi, Im setting this up now, you can have some of my 3 ghz.

Im not sure what I should put for the web url at the initial setup.
            this URL: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu

I can see your email as registered in the team, so you are doing OK so far

Comment

this URL: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu

I can see your email as registered in the team, so you are doing OK so far
              Whoohoo i'm attached, I don't really know what to but it feels good!

Comment

Whoohoo i'm attached, I don't really know what to but it feels good!
                great. What happens now is that when you complete a work unit, it sends it off, and then a few days later you (and the team) are credited for it. they validate them against the same WU which has been done on another 3 machines. sometimes (because you have a fast machine) you seem to wait a while for the validation, cos most others dont have such a quick machine.

Its worth having a poke around the help sections and message boards (click on my account in BOINC manager)

Comment

Im sure those of us that are up and running will be more than happy to help the members who are trying to work out the BOINK or SETI software. Im happy to ICQ or MSN or AIM with anyone to set them up
                  I'll be more than happy to help....

Comment

great. What happens now is that when you complete a work unit, it sends it off, and then a few days later you (and the team) are credited for it. they validate them against the same WU which has been done on another 3 machines. sometimes (because you have a fast machine) you seem to wait a while for the validation, cos most others dont have such a quick machine.

Its worth having a poke around the help sections and message boards (click on my account in BOINC manager)
                    I'll have a poke around, in the meantime, I have 'connection deferred' is this normal, it has counted down 3 times now.

Comment

I'll have a poke around, in the meantime, I have 'connection deferred' is this normal, it has counted down 3 times now.
                      Is there any work in the "work" tab?

Connection deffered usually means you asked it to synchronise, or it tried to synchronise, but the server was too busy, or you dont have anything to send/recieve, or you asked it too quickly. yes thats normal!

Comment

Is there any work in the "work" tab?

Communication deffered usually means you asked it to synchronise, or it tried to synchronise, but the server was too busy, or you dont have anything to send/recieve, or you asked it too quickly. yes thats normal!
                        Yes, it seems to be doing some work.
                        I will set up a couple of PC's at work next time im in.
                        Is it best to merge them?

Comment

Yes, it seems to be doing some work.
                          I will set up a couple of PC's at work next time im in.
                          Is it best to merge them?
                          The easiest way to do that is to:

1. Email yourself (to your work PC) the long account code SETI sent you mine looks like this: Account Key: 1dg9e8372bdb35bf7021fc5a86b57k59
                          2. Download the BOINK software onto each PC
                          3. Run the BOINK set up
                          4. Attach top SETI project using the same URL as today
                          5. Paste the code in (no need for a user name or anything else)
                          6. Dont merge the computers

Merging the computers is used when you upgrade a PC, and it shows twice on your computer list. Each computer does its own work, and makes its own contribution

If your PC is doing some work, leave it, you are set up properly. Assuming you have an always on internet connection, it will just get more work when it needs to. I dont know how BOINK works with dial up
                          Last edited by QDO1; 12-31-2005, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Looks as though it's off line at the moment.........:(

Comment

What you setii folks gone do if Odie gets a Message from God?

Comment

Originally posted by chip anderson
                                What you setii folks gone do if Odie gets a Message from God?
                                Why dont you join the team? you can have a good laugh at me then... If they get a message from god...

Comment

Working...
                                X