Thread: Common prescriptions...does anyone know where

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Common prescriptions...does anyone know where

Does anyone know where to find a listing of the frequency of utilization of single vision lens prescriptions? i.e the most commonly used Rx's.

I suppose this would vary by lens material.

I'm trying to put together a large order, and while I know which prescriptions are common, it would be helpful to have a statistically valid list.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    For stock lenses I would carry sphere's of -0.50 and up to about -5.00, and then cyls to -2.00.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

lenses

here is also another thought, with your minus lenses, buy the biggest blanks you can as they will fit almost every frame. No matter what the diameter of the minus lens starts out to be, the CT and the edge thickness will be the same in all, once you have edged it to the frame. You cannot do this with plus lenses, as the CT gets thicker and thicker as you go up in diameter.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-life is right on the money. If this is an office that has been ordering lens in the past, take a look at the past invoices. If you live in a part of the country with a higher than avg cylinder correction you might want to increese your range. If you will be dealing with a lot of kids you may want put poly in insted of or in addition to cr-39.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I guess deep down I know that what I want doesn't exist. I have been refracting and have always had an edging operation for 28 years, so I have a very good idea of what I use and need.

I'm just trying to get more efficient on buying stock lenses.

Occupation
    I mean again there might be or might not be a list, but you might want to make your own list. Write down what you use and review it monthly and annually.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    What is the compelling reason to stock finished lenses today? With today’s multitude of lens choices it’s just not cost effective. In most areas of the country you can have any stock lens in your office the next day – sometimes the same day.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    What is the compelling reason to stock finished lenses today? With today’s multitude of lens choices it’s just not cost effective. In most areas of the country you can have any stock lens in your office the next day – sometimes the same day.
    Costs related to volume. Most suppliers with give big discounts on lenses if you agree to carry a stock of them, rather then ordering them as needed.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    It is Saturday and someone breaks/loses their glasses to the point that it needs instant replacement.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Is that cost effective? Have you run the figures?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Is that cost effective? Have you run the figures?
    I believe so to a certain extent. CR-39, Trivex, Poly and 1.6 all w/ARC (you do have to analyze what material you use predominately), make the most sense to stock. Other materials may not turn over as frequently. Now keep in mind I do not deal with the financial side intimately, but I am basing my opinion on what we sell as an office and the difference between ordering a lens individually and what a stock can be purchased for.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We always keep +2.50 to -3.00 sph to -200 cylinder in stock in CR39 and poly, this accounts for about 75 - 80% of our single vision sales.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    We always keep +2.50 to -3.00 sph to -200 cylinder in stock in CR39 and poly, this accounts for about 75 - 80% of our single vision sales.
    We do the same except we keep up to about -5.00 in poly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always keep -6+2 --- +4.00+2.00 in stock in sensible blank sizes. but then beyond that I use high index stock lenses on a consignment basis, in that way i can offere sensible stock, and thin lenses when required for a small risk free outlay

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I guess deep down I know that what I want doesn't exist. I have been refracting and have always had an edging operation for 28 years, so I have a very good idea of what I use and need.

I'm just trying to get more efficient on buying stock lenses.

I would say it depends on the size of your operation. If you're a little guy like me, you don't want to tie up all your money in lenses that do not turn over. I'd say that you already know what you use. Nobody can tell better than you what lenses you continually use off of the shelve and which ones you continually have to order. Track it for a while, THEN you'll be more informed on what you need to stock.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I stock about a +6.00 to -6.00 to -2.00 cyl in CR39--not that I ever use anything above about a +2.00 stock CR39 lens if I can help it, but they've come in handy a few times--and +2.00 to -5.00 out to -1.50 cyl in poly.

The high-plus CR39s precede my employment, and I'm not reordering anything that I use above +2.50. However, they don't cost me anything to keep and potentially could keep a bad situation with a patient getting worse.

The only reason I don't stock above -1.50 cyl in poly is partially due to space considerations and mostly because I push mightily to get those type of RXs into AR. In fact, I try to get most people into AR if I can help it.

Thread Information