Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: State opticians associations

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Once knew an optician who had a shingle outside of his shop said:

Howard Underwood, DpO. I assume for dispensing optician. Looked a lot like he had a doctorate though. He got by with this because he had for many years run a wholesale lab that serviced most of the O.D.'s in the area.

Bad address email on file pbsE46's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman
    In a licensed state this is well in good. There are to many unlicensed states that the only recognized venture is ABO Certification and that CE is so readily available that there is no attendance at regional meetings unless a manufacturer is feeding them and giving the ABO credit. Essentiallly free.

So many people say they can not support their state society by joining for $10 or less a month but have discretionary dollars to pay for nights on the town, lattes daily, cigarettes and alcoholic beverages. They also want to know why they don't make more money; give nothing in hopes that others will and have critized over & over again that they would join if ...... These same individuals do not believe in themselves or should I say invest in themselves to get a formal education and readily place the blame on others.

It is time for all unlicensed states to seek voluntary registration and work towards a formal education goal as the future benchmark. There is no way licensure and mandatory requirements can come about because of such division within opticianry.
    You got that right Bev!!

I've been a member of the POF ever since I moved to Florida and I have no sympathy for those who struggle to get the CE requirements. Too many Opticians only take the manatory 20 hours and that's it. They have to put themselves out for 1 weekend every two years. For the most part these people do not support their states association, another problem with me. Opticians, as a whole, need to take their careers more seriously if they ever want to become real professionals. The problem is, most don't care. Florida, for instance, only has about 25% of it's Licensed Opticians as memebers of the POF, not acceptable. Get a grip people and join your state associations

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by pbsE46
    You got that right Bev!!

I've been a member of the POF ever since I moved to Florida and I have no sympathy for those who struggle to get the CE requirements. Too many Opticians only take the manatory 20 hours and that's it. They have to put themselves out for 1 weekend every two years. For the most part these people do not support their states association, another problem with me. Opticians, as a whole, need to take their careers more seriously if they ever want to become real professionals. The problem is, most don't care. Florida, for instance, only has about 25% of it's Licensed Opticians as memebers of the POF, not acceptable. Get a grip people and join your state associations
    This is a problem of all state associations. When and if the licenses are watered down (in the states that have licensing requirements) and the wages of opticians are depressed due to a new supply/demand model, all the opticians who were too busy to care about their state associations will be the first to complain and wonder why no one was looking out for their interests.

AA

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan
    This is a problem of all state associations. When and if the licenses are watered down (in the states that have licensing requirements) and the wages of opticians are depressed due to a new supply/demand model, all the opticians who were too busy to care about their state associations will be the first to complain and wonder why no one was looking out for their interests.

AA
    Then they don't get it, do they?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

I know this thread is in referrence to state associations but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask my question here. I'm from PA so I am going to be joining the state assocaition here but as far as national associations go should I join as many as possible or stick to one? Any thoughts on that?

My other question is fairly random the one assoc. said that membership renews at the begining of the fiscal year (june) so if I join now does that mean that I am going to have to repay dues in 2 months? I appologize I don't remember which one had said that, I think NAO but not positive.

What is the best way to get the most out of your membership. How does a person actually get involved and not just be a member and pay dues and say I belong to this org. This is reference mainly to the PA state assoc. I want to be an active member, if that means stuffing envelopes that's fine at least I am doing something to help out or make a difference. :D

BTW I appologize Judy for going somewhat off topic.
    Last edited by rent4711; 04-19-2006 at 03:24 PM.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You could try the Opticians Association of America (OAA) at http://www.oaa.org

I would join them before the NAO. I am a member of the OAA as of this year, so like you, I just started supporting opticianry organizations.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Join them all. Your state association advocates for local issues concerning the practice of Opticianry. The OAA is primarily a trade/legislative association and the NAO avocates and provides education in several different formats. Membership in one does not prevent or preclued membership in the others. How to get involved? Show up or call and volunteer. I'm sure all of them would love to have some of your time and talent.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rent4711
    I want to be an active member, if that means stuffing envelopes that's fine at least I am doing something to help out or make a difference. :D
    That's what I'm talking about :cheers:

Congrats for being yourself. We need more people like you:)

Thread Information