Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: State opticians associations

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    ...cost and mailing them to all is a financial burden most can't afford. Go to a meeting, talk to the folks involved, and if you agree with their direction, join. There are many professional associations Opticians can play a role in, but most choose not to do so. Leaders, listen to these posts and act accordingly. You can't do all things requested here like the newsletters to everyone (who is "all opticians"?), but make an attempt to make your organization more responsive and you will grow. We need proactive leadership and active participation to again regain our status.
    Who is all opticians? C'mon, it's those who work in private practice and chain opticians, lab techs, ophthalmic techs etc.

It would be nice to know when & where the meetings were held so that you can go attend!

An email newletter does not have to be expensive to send out. I know groups that have set up a yahoo group for emails read only from the administrator. The emails are posted once a month. The group membership can be monitored. Or, you can just send out a monthly email.

How about some ideas to reduce the expense of sending out a paper newsletter because it's too expensive.

It can be a one page front and back.

I can get a free ream of recycled paper at Office Depot and Office Max for just returning my printer ink cartridge for recycling.

Perhaps the officers can do a cold call sweep across the area with information. If there are several locations to a practice, perhaps hit the main one and they can get the information out.

It really doesn't have to be "just" the people on the board doing this ~ why not post volunteer opportunities on the website and ask the members to network and reach out ?

Divide the metro area up and make it a goal to visit the offices in a given area once a quarter.

Take a single package of microwave popcorn, make a label to put over it that says "the XYZ optician's association just popped in to say hi and let you know about some upcoming events" ... (actually, I got that idea from a hotel chain that stopped by the store and did that cold call ... I used it actually for another project and it was very well received!)

If 5 - 10 people in a given metro area are passionate about their industry, I bet they would LOVE to be given the chance to further their cause !!!

Or how about this one? Maybe they can talk to a local lab that services quite a few opticals and they can include a postcard flier or the newsletter with the orders? Maybe once a quarter. The lab can get "kudos" (mentioned in the newsletter) and perhaps a discounted booth rate at the yearly convention.

Edited to add:

The ASTD group I belong to will give a credit of $50 for 6 hours of volunteer time to members who volunteer for their annual convention. Perhaps if you volunteer so much time, you get a reduced rate on membership for the next year ... ???

The ASTD group also posts a "volunteer of the month" article on the website and lists volunteer opportunities.

Karen

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Regular Listing......

of meetings occurs in journals both online and in print. What geographic region? If there is sensitive membership materials there that non-members should not have access to? There is far more ot it than you realize. Most of these organizations are small and have very limited resources. But they do use them well. Many labs do send out information, and are great sources of assistance. I know these associations across the country quite well, and comparing them to ASTD you will be quite disappointed. The Opticians Associations across the country are all seeking members, and they are all fighting the battle for funds. Some do not even have a web page. But there is good new! They are all looking for leadership. I know, since you are passionate on the subject, that your state would love to make you chair of the newsletter committee and get it done for them. I mean this seriously, not as sarcasm. These folks are looking for workers and I hope you will agree to assist.
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 11-02-2005 at 01:04 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oregon Opticians

Give Ms. Woods at call here:
    http://www.oregonoptician.org/

I know Debi will put your passion to work. They do a pretty good job in their web page and tell me that they send information out regularly. I know they would love to have you if you are interested. Please note the year long schedule of courses for CE, etc.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    Give Ms. Woods at call here:
    http://www.oregonoptician.org/

I know Debi will put your passion to work. They do a pretty good job in their web page and tell me that they send information out regularly. I know they would love to have you if you are interested. Please note the year long schedule of courses for CE, etc.
    Perhaps I am not seeing the year long schedule of courses for CE.

I have emailed them 5 times this year and only have received one reply back. One email asked specifically what I could do to help ... no reply.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Link for Events........

Go to the links and see the the one marked Optical Forum. They are listed under events. Look at the contact page. There are phone numbers listed as well on the contact page. They will return your call I'm sure.

Good luck.

Occupation
    re: the events/links on forum - out of the 10 on there, I have posted the last five. I'm trying ... :o

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm new to opticianry, so I a big draw for me would be interaction with other opticians, especially more experienced ones who could "mentor" me. I wouldn't necessarily be looking for training, just a chance to talk to people who have been there already. An association should be easily accessible and visible, through newsletters, emails, or a well-designed web page. (apparently the California Optician's Association doesn't have one, or if they do I've not been able to find it...) It doesn't have to be complicated, maybe meetings a few times a year. Tour a local lab... Material or product workshops... Presentations from local experts in various fields like refracting, problem solving with difficult patients, fitting children or the elderly... volunteer work in the community to make the group more visible, educate the public in eye health and vision care... there's lots that a group could do.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    What three things can your state opticians association do to attract/retain your membership?

No rants, please. I'm looking for solid, acheiveable actions.

My three things would be-

1. Be easy to find and welcoming of potential members
    2. Provide opportunities for opticians to meet with each other and discuss whatever topics the group would lean towards, be they basic or advanced.
    3. Keep it simple- while I would like to be a part of a local or state association, I don't have a lot of time or money to devote to it... so if there are too many meetings or lengthy programs or high dues, I'll burn out real quick.
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that support should start at the grassroots level while supporting the OAA in order for it to get back on its feet again. Right now, with so many opticians, the lack of membership in even the state orgs, and no spokesperson, I feel that opticianry is in a cacophonous state. Not to sound too geeky and overly technical, but in a divide and conquer algorithm, one combines smaller groups into one cohesive ordered whole. The point being that it simply may be easier in the long run to do it at the local level first before taking on some national agenda like licensing or scope of practice. It is human instinct to want to belong to a group. I, like GOS_Queen, feel the need to do something, but don't know exactly what. I'm still to a certain extent trying to envision the future of opticianry. The good news is that there are plenty of people who want to get involved and participate in some larger plan. I personally believe that Opticianry is going to get better. I can not envision opticianry going the way of the dinosuar. It's too necessary a field. As some of the studies I have read indicate, education and opticianry should go hand in hand and it's regular people who feel that way not just opticians. People want educated individuals to dispense their glasses. I know I did when I wasn't in the optical field.

As a side note, one of the ways I intend to help opticians continue to be independent practitioners is by reducing some costs via a Patient and Inventory database for an optical office that would be available for free (GPL - General Public License). How would all of you feel about this? I know people like free stuff :)

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nicole
    I'm new to opticianry, so I a big draw for me would be interaction with other opticians, especially more experienced ones who could "mentor" me. I wouldn't necessarily be looking for training, just a chance to talk to people who have been there already. An association should be easily accessible and visible, through newsletters, emails, or a well-designed web page. (apparently the California Optician's Association doesn't have one, or if they do I've not been able to find it...) It doesn't have to be complicated, maybe meetings a few times a year. Tour a local lab... Material or product workshops... Presentations from local experts in various fields like refracting, problem solving with difficult patients, fitting children or the elderly... volunteer work in the community to make the group more visible, educate the public in eye health and vision care... there's lots that a group could do.

2. Provide opportunities for opticians to meet with each other and discuss whatever topics the group would lean towards, be they basic or advanced.
    3. Keep it simple- while I would like to be a part of a local or state association, I don't have a lot of time or money to devote to it... so if there are too many meetings or lengthy programs or high dues, I'll burn out real quick.
    I definitely agree that networking with each other should be a priority. We should support each other as much as we support our local and national organizations.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nicole

Lady Nicole,

If you find something for California, please let me know since I've been looking as well. :D

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    Lady Nicole,

If you find something for California, please let me know since I've been looking as well. :D
    Snitgirl ~

I couldn't find a website but I did find this ... (after much searching ~ it wasn't on the NAO,or OAA sites ... :o )

California Association of Dispensing Opticians
    P.O. Box 763
    Manteca, CA 95336
    (213) 681-7597

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks GOS Queen! You are the champ!!

I shall make a phone call after I get off work today to see what they are all about. Bummer that there is no website available. Thank you for your time :D

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

An Open Invitation All Associations...

The question:
    What three things can your state opticians association do to attract/retain your membership?

My answer:
    Is more complex than listing #1, #2, #3, but it's an offer to assist state associations any way I can, not a rant. Here goes...

Almost every product or service used in real life as well as optical life was somebody's "brilliant idea" at one time. Then, someone inevitably comes along and makes that brilliant idea better. That's forward progress, and that's one of the things I believe we are all shooting for, myself included. My personal goal is to become the Lee Iacocca of opticianry. ;)

Seriously, it is indeed a shame that most (but not all) opticianry associations do not or can not market themselves successfully to potential or existing members. There are a myriad of reasons, but two that keep popping up are not enough manpower available and/or the lack of sufficient operating capital.

This is where I believe I can offer the most assistance. I am offering my company's services and resources to any and all interested societies that would like to incorporate my suggestions/ideas/abilities or anything we have to offer into your organization's efforts. Quantum Optical currently works with 5 state associations on various levels, and would welcome the opportunity to work with each and every one out there.

Suggestion #1 - Communicate
    An attractive, professional, user-friendly website with timely information on a real, popup-ad free server that is updated and managed on a regular basis. We have custom-built, and currently manage websites for the Opticians Association's of Pennsylvania, New Mexico and Mississippi. Essentially, we have provided these associations with a cost-effective way to communicate with their members via the web. www.paoptician.org , www.mado.org , www.oanm.com .

Almost anything you can dream of can be done better, faster and cheaper on the 'net, including quarterly e-mail newsletters, list management, calendars, forums, announcements, secure online membership payments, name it. We are also responsible for maintaining and updating the sites, which takes that particular responsibility off the staff.

If you need a website built from scratch, have a site that needs a face lift, paying too much for the site/hosting you have, or if you would just like some help with hanging your shingle on the web, feel free to contact me directly for special "family rates" on hosting, site design, and site management. Once you have a site, the doors are wide open to do many, many beneficial things with little or no effort, and again, I am happy to assist with that growth. The key to it however, is site management and regular updates, which I will oversee personally.

Through some unique working relationships, we can also assist in good ol' fashioned paper items such as printing and mailing of newsletters, brochures, membership announcements and renewals, etc.

Suggestion #2 - Educate
    It has been the long-standing model of national opticianry to have 3 separate organizations do specific functions to perpetuate growth within the field. We created the ABO/NCLE to certify, the NAO to educate, and the OAA to legislate. It's safe to say other professions, service trades and craftsmen have a similar two or three-pronged model, and they all function with varying degrees of success.

Along the way in opticianry-land, state-level organizations, who are ideally positioned to be local eyes and ears for the national legislative body, have been increasing their focus on providing CE and education. This is understandable, since it generates a revenue stream that makes up for the insufficient amount of money that comes in via membership dues.

However, the amount of valuable time it takes to plan meetings and coordinate all the things there are to coordinate when hosting a conference, might be better spent gathering more members or sitting on the state house steps. So, how can you, as an association, survive financially and still make things happen in your state, including increasing membership?

We offer a variety of cost-effective solutions that, by design, are extremely simple to implement. For example, most (again, not all) states allow online CE for all or part of their CE credits. If you are in a non-licensed or "ABO only" state, online CE is definitely a viable option. We have programs that permit you, as an association, to offer discounted or FREE CE to your members, which is a very attractive benefit on anyone's short-list of things to see in their society.

In my assessment, and based on the pace we are adding courses to our online menu, Quantum Optical will become the single largest resource of online CE for opticians by the 1st quarter of 2006, with over 70 courses and topics, by various contributing authors, totaling somewhere in the neighborhood of 125-150 hours of CE available through our site. Your members would have access to all of them, day or night, including all the bells, whistles and features built into the site. Think that would be good bait for the membership hook?

The nominal costs for some of the programs we offer can be offset by increasing dues a few bucks, or by reducing live CE expenses, either of which we can help calculate for you. Your association, in turn, would be adding a valuable benefit to your membership packet, for which members will probably be more willing to pay, since they are getting something they can use and appreciate in return.

Imagine attracting more members, devoting less time to CE meetings, and potentially maintaining the same amount of profit from each membership dollar. How many possibilities does that present? We have these programs in place for the above mentioned associations, as well as the NY State Society of Opticians, who's members currently can get all their online CE through Quantum Optical for free as a membership benefit. We can customize a program that's right for you, too.

If the online alternative is not an option for you, than perhaps you'd like to outsource your live meeting planning. Again, that is a service we can provide your association to give you more time to focus on other important issues.

As a company, these are our core functions, meeting planning and online CE programs. You can view them on my site here http://quantumoptical.com/corpservices.asp and here http://quantumoptical.com/authsvc.asp . We have the resources available to make your next meeting or distance learning alternative a success. If either of these programs spikes your interest, and hopefully they do, please don't hesitate to contact me and I will go over them in detail with you.

Suggestion #3 - Training Opportunities
    Without prying open the great formal education vs. on-the-job training debate, I think we all agree that learning is a positive thing regardless where the knowledge comes from. As an instructor, I do fall on the side that has college in the mix though.

With that said, if a formal college program isn't available, or right for an otherwise motivated individual, then some form of training needs to be made available, period. Where should these individuals turn for basic knowledge? To the representative association in their chosen field.

Likewise, what about an optician who already holds certification or licensure and wants to expand on that knowledge in other areas of eye related topics? Perhaps that individual may even strive to hold additional advanced or parallel certifications to increase their own value to an employer and raise the bar just a little for the rest of us. Topics in this realm include refraction, contact lens fitting, optical business management, pre-testing procedures, etc.

Again, we as a company offer these types of programs and more, in multiple formats, developed by some of the best speakers in the business. We have done this with the Ohio Optometric Association and the Professional Opticians of Florida, just to name a few. Your association can also implement them into a live program, annual convention or online training module without any additional duties or responsibilities.

So, my friends, the invitation stands and is open to any and all optical associations. If you would like to utilize any of the services I offered to ease the workload or add valuable member benefits, by all means let's talk. If you can find a way to get this offer in front of other state association leaders that don't visit this forum, that would be great and appreciated too. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I look forward to working with you all.

Regards,

Michael Della Pesca, President
    Quantum Optical
    www.quantumoptical.com
    Last edited by quantum; 11-14-2005 at 02:09 AM.

Occupation
    Wow ~

:cheers:

I am printing that out and sending it to my state society.

Karen :D

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks GOS Queen! You are the champ!!

I shall make a phone call after I get off work today to see what they are all about. Bummer that there is no website available. Thank you for your time :D
    Snitgirl- how did the call go?
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL, # is not correct that is posted and there was no current number
    I appreciate your efforts for us..GOS.. :D

Occupation
    :o

sorry it didn't work out ...

LOL, # is not correct that is posted and there was no current number
    I appreciate your efforts for us..GOS.. :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

3 Things

I was at one time a member of the opticians association through the class that I was attending.I recieved a couple of leaflets through out the year that had info on upcoming events however I always recieved my leaflets too late to react or attend. I have also numerous times volunteered to help in any way as the organizations state that they never have enough help, however I have heard from no one.I also cannot warrant paying 100. plus dollars to reinstate membership for a few late leaflets.
    My primary point here is that better interaction and correspondance with members would be benefitial to keeping members. Disperse more leaflets with added reading perhaps from articles from members.Take the help that is offered be it ever so tiny and find a way to attract members through one on one contact and interaction.
    :) Just opinions

Occupation

Contact person: email staff member at webmaster@medbd.ca.gov

Rhonda Rodriguez

MEDICAL BOARD OF CALIFORNIA Licensing Operations - RDO Program
    1426 Howe Avenue, Suite 54
    Sacramento, CA 95825-3236
    PHONE 916 263-2634
    FAX 916 263-2567

Here's this contact information ~ not really the optician's society but the licensing department. I wonder if Rhonda might have information about the optician's society ?

(there is no listing under California Society at OAA - I checked).

HTH ~

Karen

Occupation
    I copied this from a BABY BOOMER group here in Portland.

I like this.

HTH -

Karen

BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
    • Membership in the organization demonstrates your belief in the objectives and goals of the club and contributes to its continued success.
    • Membership allows your voice to be heard in the services and activities offered
    • Membership allows you to receive membership discount pricing to Boomer events
    • Membership allows you access to our Annual Members Only Party
    • Members will receive their own Boomer Sticker
    • Members are automatically entered in a monthly drawing
    • As new affiliates are added additional benefits and or discounts will be offered to members only
    • Membership allows you the opportunity to serve as an officer or committee member
    • Membership and your participation in the organization give you the opportunity to establish new friendships and or networking opportunities
    • Membership entitles you to receive advanced notice via email of upcoming events before being offered to the general public

Luzerne Optical Laboratories
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

State Associations

There were a lot of great suggestions to Judy's post. A suggestion I have would be to have Association chapters around the state so all opticians wishing to be active in their state society can attend meetings without traveling great distances (which most wont do). This should lead to more members, more ideas for the society, more revenue for the society and a stronger association.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In a licensed state this is well in good. There are to many unlicensed states that the only recognized venture is ABO Certification and that CE is so readily available that there is no attendance at regional meetings unless a manufacturer is feeding them and giving the ABO credit. Essentiallly free.

So many people say they can not support their state society by joining for $10 or less a month but have discretionary dollars to pay for nights on the town, lattes daily, cigarettes and alcoholic beverages. They also want to know why they don't make more money; give nothing in hopes that others will and have critized over & over again that they would join if ...... These same individuals do not believe in themselves or should I say invest in themselves to get a formal education and readily place the blame on others.

It is time for all unlicensed states to seek voluntary registration and work towards a formal education goal as the future benchmark. There is no way licensure and mandatory requirements can come about because of such division within opticianry.

Occupation
    Bev I thought you might like this for the PA associations web site. Just create a seperate key for your directory from google and paste it in the source code. Enjoy.

[OPINION]
    PS - The reason why I wont join is due to the fact that most associations that I have been involved with have been helpful untill they cashed my check. Unfortunately the associations mostly are run by the same group of people and have the feel of a clique making me feel like an ousider.[OPINION]
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 02-21-2007 at 04:59 AM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Doctor of Optician

I know a man whose real given first name is Doctor. He is called "Doc".
    If each optician would do a legal name change we could all be doctors.
    Since most people are not aware that doctor simply means teacher, they would have an immediate higher opinion of opticians.
    Take for example "Optometrist", no medical school degree yet they call themselves "doctor".
    Chiropractor's refer to themselves as "doctor", no medical school training.
    Some professions use the term when a "doctrate" of education is obtained.
    Professors who really do teach. Preachers who teach. Some preachers who do not obtain a doctrate of education but are given an honarary title. Whoa!
    So let's even the playing field. Let's have;
    "Doctor of server", at Wendys.
    "Doctor of mechanics", at the garage.
    "Doctor of wax", for the person who does the floors.
    "Doctor of cabs", for the cab driver.
    "Doctor of maids", for the gals at the motel.
    "Doctor of reception", for the receptionest.
    "Doctor of crime", for the policeman.
    "Doctor of bricks", for the brick mason.
    "Doctor of doo", for the plumer.
    "Doctor of mud", for the ditch digger.
    "Doctor of big rigs", for the truck driver.
    "Doctor of hair ", for the hairdresser.
    We could go on and on but for the lack of space and time, while I work on my "Doctrate of BULL", I already have my Masters.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Smilie Judy I think this is a fine subject!!

There have been a number of excellent suggestions. My top 3 would be communication, education and reasonable dues.

You keep steering us in the right direction and for that I thank you!!

Thread Information