Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zeiss Individual vs. J&J Definity

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Next ping.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    However, several of your posts often seem to suggest an underlying bitterness with corporations -- and lens manufacturers, in particular -- for reasons that you have never really made entirely clear.
    Daryll, actually what you call bitterness...............is not the right word. It would be more some kind of admiration of seing an industry develop into an empire, (and I did not say evil) soon controlling just about every aspect of the optical world. Recent comparison could be with the oil companies.

But I think we should postpone this theme and argument for another time.

Question..............what do the blue fields represent in the lenses below?

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    and I did not say evil
    My mistake, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Question..............what do the blue fields represent in the lenses below?
    Surface astigmatism.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Daryll, actually what you call bitterness...............is not the right word. It would be more some kind of admiration of seing an industry develop into an empire, (and I did not say evil) soon controlling just about every aspect of the optical world. Recent comparison could be with the oil companies.
    if you want to moan bout something try this. a Large german lens manufacturer, recieved today 11/12 of the jobs they made for me. The surfacing might be wicked clever, the mounting atrocious
    in the pile of jobs we had
    100% chewed up screws
    1/12 jobs saftey beveled
    5/12 jobs with unwanted stress (glazed to big)
    4/12 with poor centers
    2/12 with the heights specified ignored
    2/12 with a marked frame

The fact that the lenses are the best surfacing since the invention of sliced bread is irrelevant faced with the above
    Last edited by QDO1; 11-01-2005 at 04:25 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Unfortunately, "craftsman" is becoming a very rare notion nowadays, in any industry.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately, "craftsman" is becoming a very rare notion nowadays, in any industry.
    would a client pay an extra £20.00 for a true technician to glaze the job well, based on say a £200.00 order. Im worth more for my dispensing skills as opposed to my glazing skills - so thats what im payed for... whats sad is that when i worked a s a freelancer - sometimes a tech, sometimes an optician - I noticed that glazers are treted like dirt and dispensers glorified

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Harry, Of course you have a good point.............to almost being right.................

If your closest competitor does some smart advertising the other way round convincing YOUR customers that he has a good point.............would you not loose some business?

I believe you would customers are being convinced that product A is similar to product B but retails for a lot less.

In today's newpapers I saw the newest add by Ford promoting heavily the Focus, with all the fancy equipment of more expensive cars, trying to cash in on the economic squeeze plus the expensive gasoline.

Don't you think this policy is a smart move, diverting the customer interest to a smaller less expensive vehicle that will get you where you want to go for less than you could do in your Hummer where a tank full of gas is over a hundred dollars.

Dont you think that this way of thinking will eventually, or even very fast carry over into the optical business according to the economic foecast's ?
    So Harry spends no money to advertise his lens the other guy does. Now the other guy has to charge more money for the no name lens.

If any Vendor advertises a product and you can sell it for more why is that bad. Why spend time and money to try to get a customer to spend less money so you can make less money! That makes not no sense in any business.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

craftsman....................

A perfect statement.

But how could one make a step backwards in the evolution and look for good optical technicians to become knowdleable opticians, or even make it mandatory. That would create new good base of optical craftsmen who would look at such a job as a step to betterment.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The implementation varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, AO Easy HD and SOLAOne HD are made by free-form generating both the progressive optics and the prescription curves together on the back surface (the front surface is cast). Zeiss Gradal Individual and Short i are made by free-form generating the progressive optics on the front surface, while the prescription curves are generated using conventional equipment on the back.
    I'll add my two cents, without making a reference to buying a car. :)

I believe the Seiko Super Proceed Internal is a fully minus side progressive as well.

We have been selling the Seiko, Rodenstock, Zeiss, SolaHD, and now the Definity PAL. All lenses seem to be working very well, especially for particular patients or those with higher add powers.

As far as which one is better or different, I guess I would leave that to someone else. We price them all the same, so you pick! Some advantages I see for fitting the Definity include the increased availability. Ability to get the lens with or without AR coating. The Definity processing center completes orders in 1-4 days. The Zeiss is now being made in Kentucky at the Sola lab there so that my reduce turnaround times. Seiko takes forever and is nearly impossiable to order. Rodenstock seems to be getting here on a good time schedule.

All in all I like them all! I like them because the price has not be *******ized and it offers my Independent customers something completly different than the chains, or other Indepedents who are working with labs that love to deal in commodity iteams.

Adam

Thread Information