Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: George Bush's 2000th Murder Victim

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Besides I don't see how an argument like this will do any good. Will it change any ones opinion, I don't think so. It seems to me that threads like this are created to do one thing and thats to start an argument for arguments sake.

Bad address email on file finklstiltskin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    But for the grace of God and those willing to put their lives on the line you would probably be toasting a rat on a stick in a concentration camp in Herefordshire today.
    Aww...rat on a stick ain't that bad. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    It seems to me that threads like this are created to do one thing and thats to start an argument for arguments sake.
    Good call. Thanks for joining our senseless argument. :D Good to know you don't think you're above it.

I'm gonna eat this rat on a stick and go to sleep...I'll be in Atlanta for this next week, but I'll try to stay caught-up from out there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    EXAMPLE: my kids, their lives are worth more than other lives. Chairtime, got kids?

QDO1,off subject, you sign your post as "KING" is that your sirname?
    yes King is my surname

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    QDO1,off subject
    Off subject - I couldnt get closer to the subject if I tried

There are a number of ways of hiding from the fact that war kills the innocent as well as the guilty - you guys call it collateral damage. What ever you call it, those poor people have died. They are not numbers, they are mothers, fathers, children, grandparants etc. And what happens next - the skeletons of the family life remaining are dealing with it

Got kids?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Pick up a copy of this month's Esquire--fabulous article "Idiot America". Talks about how we as a nation have lost respect for actual expertise and are suspicious of education. Cases in point: FEMA director not having the credentials any fool would look for, rather some clown who was fired from the head position at an association of race horse owners; "intelligent design" being positioned as "science" when its core premise is lack of knowledge; and of course, the whole rationale for the war--experts ignored by people who went with their "gut" and a political, as opposed to a policy, agenda.

Another classic example of this was Sean Hannity on the tube a couple weeks ago giving his POV on stem cell research--why it was not a path with great potential. Sean Hannity did not graduate from college, yet feels somehow competent to prosletize on such a highly technical issue? Well sure, coz if it's on TV, and yelled loudly enough, it must be true!!!

We are doomed I fear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finklstiltskin
    Aww...rat on a stick ain't that bad. Really.
    bum deal for the rat I suppose

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    yes King is my surname
    Mine too. I guess we are cousins. War is a nasty business. It would be great to settle disputes with a chess match,but thats not reality.

Fink:"I like to argue" I just love the truth!:bbg:
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mine too. I guess we are cousins. War is a nasty business. It would be great to settle disputes with a chess match,but thats not reality.

I would be a lot better off in life if I settled things with a chess match P-QP4

Bad address email on file finklstiltskin's Avatar

I'm a chess fiend. I collect chess sets.

And, I always tell the truth! ;)

Bad address email on file
    Censorship is like telling a man he can't have a steak because a baby can't chew it.
    No. It's like telling a man he can't offer steak to a baby.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    Pick up a copy of this month's Esquire--fabulous article "Idiot America". Talks about how we as a nation have lost respect for actual expertise and are suspicious of education. Cases in point: FEMA director not having the credentials any fool would look for, rather some clown who was fired from the head position at an association of race horse owners; "intelligent design" being positioned as "science" when its core premise is lack of knowledge; and of course, the whole rationale for the war--experts ignored by people who went with their "gut" and a political, as opposed to a policy, agenda.

Another classic example of this was Sean Hannity on the tube a couple weeks ago giving his POV on stem cell research--why it was not a path with great potential. Sean Hannity did not graduate from college, yet feels somehow competent to prosletize on such a highly technical issue? Well sure, coz if it's on TV, and yelled loudly enough, it must be true!!!

We are doomed I fear.
    You liberals keep praying to your god ("science" and "education") and we conservatives will keep praying to ours (God, with His wisdom and justice).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by finklstiltskin
    Censorship is like telling a man he can't have a steak because a baby can't chew it.
    No. It's like telling a man he can't offer steak to a baby.
    You're funny. And not ha ha funny. You make this argument in this thread, but in the other thread you keep trying to bring in pedophilia when the discussion is about two, consenting adults of the same gender. Go figure.:hammer:
    ...Just ask me...

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    You're funny. And not ha ha funny. You make this argument in this thread, but in the other thread you keep trying to bring in pedophilia when the discussion is about two, consenting adults of the same gender. Go figure.:hammer:
    I don't understand the connection. What does anything you just said have to do with censorship or the war in Iraq or gay marriage?????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    I don't understand the connection. What does anything you just said have to do with censorship or the war in Iraq or gay marriage?????
    Nothing. It has to do with your debating skills and way of thinking.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm a chess fiend. I collect chess sets.
    I just brought a early St Lewis chess set - 1894

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    before anyone complains my last post was off message, the pawns are gravestones!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Women make this decision every day in Planned Parenthood clinics. .
    It is really odd...

If a racing driver has a accident it is called an "off" - its a frigging accident, the driver could have been killed

If people are killed in a war, and they happen to be the opositions women and children, they are called "collataral damage"

If a woman has an abortion it is called "planned paranthood"

Wake up, smell the bacon - its a FXXXXX road accident, you killed women and children, and killed a baby. I get so annoyed by such silly phrases that gloss the reality

I get so annoyed by such silly phrases that gloss the reality
    Me too! "pro-choice" is the worst of them all. Why can't people just admit the truth? You're either pro-abortion or anti-abortion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i wonder how many more civillians got killed since my last post?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    i wonder how many more civillians got killed since my last post?
    Too many :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what if the iraqis vote in a radical muslim style government like Iran - democratically - what should we do then?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This past April I attended my old Marine Corps squadron reunion at the MCAF New River where I had the opportunity to spend four days with my recently returned brothers. I heard nothing but support for the Commander In Chief and our policy of bringing democracy to the people of both Afghanistan and Iraq. These fine young men have freely chosen to take an active roll by serving their country and CIC.
    Either you were standing at the wrong end of the bar or things have changed since April.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/ncw...-9276680c.html

By TIM WHITMIRE, Associated Press Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- More than half of North Carolina military members surveyed in the latest Elon University poll disapprove of President Bush's handling of the war in Iraq and his overall job performance.

Nearly 53 percent of military members said they strongly disapproved or disapproved of Bush's handling of his job. And just more than 56 percent of that same group strongly disapproved or disapproved of how he has dealt with the Iraq war.

Overall, 53 percent of those surveyed for the poll released Friday did not approve of Bush's job performance, while 57 percent did not approve of his handling of the Iraq war.

"We see that those most involved in the Iraq situation, the military, are not so different from the general public after all and share the same concerns about Iraq," said Hunter Bacot, the poll's director. "Conventional wisdom might suggest that the military would be more supportive of Bush in Iraq, but that simply isn't the case if you look at the numbers."

North Carolina has one of the nation's largest military presences, with major Army, Marine and Air Force installations based in eastern North Carolina. North Carolina-based active-duty and reserve units have seen extensive action since the United States attacked Afghanistan following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

Of the 539 adults surveyed for the Elon poll, 80 - or 14.8 percent of the sample - were active-duty, reserve, retired or veteran members of the military. The telephone poll was conducted between Monday and Thursday and has a margin of error for the entire sample of plus or minus 4.3 percentage points.

The margin of error, which reflects the confidence that the results speak for an entire group, is higher for smaller groups, such as the 80 military members.

Just over half of those people surveyed said the United States should no longer be in Iraq, while nearly 43 percent agreed that the country should remain there. The rest said they did not know or refused to answer.

Roughly half of those polled - 52 percent - said they do not know if the war in Iraq was worth fighting. The poll showed about 15 percent believe the war was worthwhile and 29.1 percent do not think so.

Military members were somewhat more supportive of the United States' presence in Iraq than the general population, with exactly half saying the nation should be there and 41.3 percent saying it should not.

More than half of military members - 51 percent - said they did not know if the war was worth fighting, while 19 percent said the war was worth it and 29 percent said it was not

The low approval numbers for Bush seen in the poll continue a pattern of declining support for the second-term president seen in previous Elon polls and nationally.

The percentage of those surveyed who say they strongly approve or approve of Bush's job performance was down to 41 percent in the current poll from a recent peak of 55 percent in February 2004.

Approval of Bush's handling of the Iraq war has dropped from 52 percent in September 2003 to nearly 39 percent now.

Approval of the president's handling of the economy ticked up slightly in the current poll, to 37 percent, from the 36 percent approval registered in April. The peak was 42 percent in September 2004. Elon's Institute for Politics and Public Affairs has been conducting its poll since 2000.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    and why did we go to iraq for a war in the first place?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Robert,

We can find a poll or some anecdotal evidence to support just about any stance that we wish. I was relating my personal experience last April and perhaps some additional clarification may be in order. My squadron is an active duty squadron and not a member of the reserve component of the Marine Corps. They had just returned from duty with the Marine Expeditionary Unit on duty in Iraq. As an active duty unit they are mostly professional Marine Aviators and not “weekend warriors.”

It is not my intention to criticize the Reserves or National Guard but the fact is that you do find a great deal of different in these units and their members. They are not composed of professional war fighters and are not nearly as dedicated to their military vocation as they are to their civilian jobs. It’s the difference between amateurs and professionals. So, if we poll the reservists or National Guard members we will probably get data slanted toward your citation.

Many of us veterans, particularly combat veterans, would also poll out against the war in Iraq. We have enough memories of brothers who died alone in the mud of some God forsaken rice paddy. That’s why you will find no greater pacifist than the veteran. So, if we poll the veterans we will probably get data slanted toward your citation

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro
    In my opinion we've been bled enough, and it's time for the Iraqi people to fight there own war for freedom. If they don't succeed then it's the failure of the Iraqi people, not our failure.
    Iraqi Army Needs More Time
    Associated Press - October 22, 2005
    WASHINGTON - It will take up to two years for the Iraqi army to have the military leadership and supplies it needs to operate on its own, the commander of U.S. forces in Baghdad said Friday.

Maj. Gen. William G. Webster Jr., told Pentagon reporters that the Iraqi security forces are continuing to grow, but their major need is for support systems, such as fuel and replacement parts.: "If we're talking about an army that can pick up and move and go out to the borders to defend the country and be able to sustain operations out in the open for a long period of time, it's probably going to be a year and a half, two years before that system is mature enough to operate on its own," Webster said from Baghdad.

Webster did not specify what impact his assessment would have on U.S. hopes for beginning a withdrawal of American troops from Iraq.

For the complete report:
    http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...ml?ESRC=dod.nl

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Thread Information