Thread: Tinting Lenses

Tinting Lenses

1.Is it possible to tint a pair of lenses after coatings have already been applied?
    2.And is there such thing as a clear mirror coating, as in if I want a super dark red lense and then a clear mirror put on the front to produce a red mirror, would that work?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Not it is not :(

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CYCLOPSRED
    I have a question for you! What do you really want this nasty looking lens for? The lens was a prop in a movie! No body makes it, and it sounds like nobody here is going to EXACTLY duplicate that lens! You have been at this since march of 2004! Go to the movie makers!

whoa! didn't see that response coming! I guess I just thought since so many professional's come on here that someone would be able to help me somewhat, which I haven't had help with whatsoever! I have been looking for the lense for a long time and since the a-holes at oakley have a policy against making the ruby-quartz prop lenses for anyone except the movie I won't get any help from them on getting a pair...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopsred
    whoa! didn't see that response coming! I guess I just thought since so many professional's come on here that someone would be able to help me somewhat, which I haven't had help with whatsoever! I have been looking for the lense for a long time and since the a-holes at oakley have a policy against making the ruby-quartz prop lenses for anyone except the movie I won't get any help from them on getting a pair...
    You are right about Oakley, however, the many other labs that do a mirror coating will be able to do a similar lens.

Mirror coatings are a strange breed - they look like one thing to the observer, and look completly different to look through. Oakley basically have the same processes available to them as the other mirror coating labs. I would approach them direct to start off with, and then once you find one, let the optician know what coating you want from whom. I am in the UK, and the siltint link I gave you would be a good place to ask, but I am sure there must be some very good indepedant mirror coating labs in the US

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

No problem.....................

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    You are right about Oakley, however, the many other labs that do a mirror coating will be able to do a similar lens.
    Any coating lab that applies mirror coatings on tinted lenses can do any color they want and then apply the mirror coating.

It could that you opticians only works with the large run of the mill corporation that refuse do to anything than their own coatings.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Any coating lab that applies mirror coatings on tinted lenses can do any color they want and then apply the mirror coating.
    True - they can tint any colour they want, but matching the colour of the mirror is the very hard bit, and thats what this chap is specifically looking for (across 3 threads)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    It could that you opticians only works with the large run of the mill corporation that refuse do to anything than their own coatings.
    Im as independant as they come, and can source what I want from where I want within reason

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Mirror colors

It is very difficult to know what you want without seeing the exact lens in person. I am sure the problem you are running into is the fact that you want a specific color and you only want one pair. Most mirror coatings are produced in lots of 30 or more pairs, in addition to develop the exact color takes a skilled expert and a great deal of time and testing to prove that the color is correct.

If you told a mirror coating specialty company who actually develops mirror designs that you wanted them to develop a color for you I am sure they can. Now from a practical standpoint why would they do this for you unless you can either pay them for their development or agree to order a large quantity once they prove to you that they can produce the lens color you are asking for.

I can see from your request what you are looking for, I just don't see what motivation anyone would have to do this.

Thanks!

Hey guys thanks for the feedback! I was wondering if you guys might be able to explain this quote to me, because it sounds like there isn't even a mirror on this lense, but three other coatings produce the same effect, is this possible?
    Here's the quote:
    "What about the ruby quartz lens? Three coatings cover a dyed blood red plutonite lens, including a pure chrome back layer and anti-reflection material on both sides for extra ruby punch."
    To me this quote make's it sound as if there is no mirror, just other coatings to give a mirror effect, I don't know what do you guys think? I don't understand how anti-reflection material would produce a mirror on the front of the lense if it's on both sides?
    oh and thanks QD01, I was gonna ask if I may, when you say a little birdie told me they could get quite close, was that just an expression, or do you know something I don't.... :) Either way thnks for the help!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopsred
    oh and thanks QD01, I was gonna ask if I may, when you say a little birdie told me they could get quite close, was that just an expression, or do you know something I don't.... :) Either way thnks for the help!
    that means i know they have done a lot of work similar to Oakley, and if you speak to them they always seem to know exactly what Oakley are up to / doing, almost like they have a working relationship

Thread Information